Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM

957 posts, read 3,359,302 times

Advertisements

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php

I disagree that Texas, Florida, and Arizona has the best year round weather over Georiga? Would most of you agree that Georiga should be ranked #3 after California and Hawaii?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-liveable.html

I started this poll this see what the city-data members think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,501,496 times
You will probably receive many different answers.

The pollen in the spring and the heat/humidity in the summer will probably be mentioned and I doubt that GA's weather will be ranked 3rd in the US.

How Texas, Arizona and Florida were selected as 'Best Weather' spots is beyond me.

Maybe NC has the best weather--I just don't know.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM

351 posts, read 657,026 times
I would say Virginia has better weather than us. They don't have alot of snow and humidity is probably lower there in summer. NC is about like GA only they get a bit more snow.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 PM

631 posts, read 1,094,932 times
I LOVE the weather! The pollen doesn't bother the wife and I at all. It was such a shock for me when I first moved to ATL (from Chicago), and it was like 70-75 for a few days straight in January! Beautiful! Hated to have to leave, but we've decided to move back in a couple years! We MISS it terribly!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,534,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
I would say Virginia has better weather than us. They don't have alot of snow and humidity is probably lower there in summer. NC is about like GA only they get a bit more snow.
I agree. Virginia seems to have a very nice climate.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:48 PM

957 posts, read 3,359,302 times
Let me set up some criteria here as what is considered "BEST" weather is different for everyone. Some love the rain (Seattle) some love like the hot/humid weather (Florida) etc.

I would consider an area with weather in the 60s and sunny all year round to be the most idealistic (best) weather = Southern California.

Since Hawaii is humid and in the 70s - 80s all year round, it ranks second place after California. I can eliminate Florida since the weather is only good in the winter months, but not idealisitic all year round. I would consider Dallas, Texas and Seattle, Washington to be a close competitor to Atlanta, Georgia for the the #3 spot for best weather, but not Arizonia.

Atlanta's weather has been in the 60's all last week including today and we are still in the month of February. I write this as the weather in Chicago is now 27 degrees and snowing, therefore Chicago is also obviously out

Under this new criteria would Altanta, Georiga rank #3 after California and Hawaii?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Having spent a summer in AZ, I know I could never live there. I actually liked the weather in So. Florida for the 3 years we were there. I never found the heat as oppressive as it seemed in AZ. Maybe it was the daily thunderstorms, but the heat wasn't constantly making it tough to breathe as it was in AZ.

I go back and forth between here and NC frequently, and NC seems much colder during the winter months. It's too cold for me.

Since I have no desire to live in CA, I'd give Georgia first place by default.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php

I disagree that Texas, Florida, and Arizona has the best year round weather over Georiga? Would most of you agree that Georiga should be ranked #3 after California and Hawaii?

I started this poll this see what the city-data members think.

The fact that we are in the top 10 (#6) and have a strong case for top 5 or top 3 is good enough for me.

Overall, Georgia/Atlanta has a great U.S. climate and is a great place to live in the U.S.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,593,399 times
[quote=mrpanda;18043917]http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php

All of the states you have mentioned, except for Hawaii, have a lot of square miles. Therefore, different climatic conditions may be present in various localities and regions. Even here in metro Atlanta, there's a slight difference in climatic conditions. And in the Georgia mountains, the climatic conditions are quite noticeaby different.

Analyzing a multitude of statistics and then coming up with a ranking is very difficult. The methodologies used to arrive with a specific number may be flawed.

Regardless, I have a very favorable opinion of Georgia's weather and specifically Atlanta's weather. This favorable opinion is predicated on the fact that Georgia's weather lacks some of the extreme weather conditions that are present in many of our 50 states.

Much of Arizona has beautiful weather in the winter. However for a significant period of the year, the extreme heat takes a huge toll on the residents if you live in Phoenix and Tuscson. Driving can become dangerous if you should experience car problems. And then there's the increased risk of skin cancer.

Insuring a home in Georgia costs less than in Florida, Texas, and California. Texas has a very high risk for tornados, and Florida has a very high risk for hurricanes. California has a very high risk for earthquakes. When figuring insurance rates, insurance companies take into account unfavorable climatic conditions and unfavorable geological features.

Some posters here have metioned that Atlanta's summers are brutal. I don't think that's necessarily true.

Our summer daytime highs are comparable to many cities in the Midwest. At at an elevation of a 1000 feet, Atlanta's summers are cooler than in many cities in the South. However our nights are warmer. Cool fronts from Canada seldom make it this far south. I've lived in the Midwest, and Canadian cool fronts often times do lower temperatures in the Midwest.

Many parts of Georgia have warmer summers. The weather conditions can be more extreme. But even those conditions are more favorable than in much of Arizona and Texas.

Without a doubt, Georgia has better weather than Texas, Florida, and Arizona.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Texas and Arizona get HOT weather in excess or 100 degrees routinely in the summer. As we saw before the Superbowl, Texas can still get winter weather. Arizona is also very brown due to the desert. I would not rank either as having better weather or prettier scenery than Georgia.

Florida has nice weather most of the year, but oppressive humidity during the late spring, summer, and early fall. You don't get any winter weather south of the panhandle, and the heat is about the same as Georgia, but the summer can be brutally humid.

Atlanta typically has some stretches of bad heat and humidity in the summer during July and August, and January can see some winter weather, but as we're seeing in Feb, we can get some very nice weather, even during winter. Spring and Fall are generally quite nice with dry air and warm temps, and even winter is not really bad. A month or so of weak winter weather with a few inches of snow (that you don't have to shovel) and cold low temps is pretty good when you consider what the rest of the country gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta