Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM

25 posts, read 60,588 times

Advertisements

If anyone could give their school name...........

I am in search of year round schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Check out schools in Woodstock. My friend has since moved from there, but she loved the year round schedule when she was a resident.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM

32 posts, read 143,404 times
Cambridge International Preschool at Buckhead (but it is a preschool) or the Chastain School (religious).

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Woodstock, mentioned by Mattie above, is in Cherokee county. The Cherokee public schools have been on a "balanced" schedule for several years, I believe. It's not really year-round, exactly, but the summer vacation is shorter and there are one-week breaks during the year.

Cobb County Schools went to the same schedule, starting this August. I'm a Cobb parent and was personally neutral or mildly favorable toward this change. However, I have the impression that the majority of parents were enraged about the shorter summer and are ready to kick out the school board members who voted for it just as soon as they possibly can. Therefore, I'm skeptical if this schedule will last beyond the 2010-2011 school year in Cobb.

However, we're now at the end of the September break week. My high school junior LOVED having the week off. She found it a very restorative break. All her friends who stayed in town are saying the same on Facebook, apparently. A surprising number of students and teachers seem to have taken off on actual vacation trips, some even to Europe. I don't know if this break week will have gone over as big in elementary school families, but for high schoolers, it seems like a hit so far. My junior has a very demanding academic schedule, and I was able to say to her encouragingly the other day "So after this you just have to press on and work hard until Thanksgiving, and then you get another break! That's not so bad. After that, work until Christmas, then a two-week break." It's nice to have high school work broken up like this.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

However, we're now at the end of the September break week. My high school junior LOVED having the week off. She found it a very restorative break. All her friends who stayed in town are saying the same on Facebook, apparently. A surprising number of students and teachers seem to have taken off on actual vacation trips, some even to Europe. I don't know if this break week will have gone over as big in elementary school families, but for high schoolers, it seems like a hit so far. My junior has a very demanding academic schedule, and I was able to say to her encouragingly the other day "So after this you just have to press on and work hard until Thanksgiving, and then you get another break! That's not so bad. After that, work until Christmas, then a two-week break." It's nice to have high school work broken up like this.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
RainyRainyDay

I have a question. Did she have lots of homework, tests to prepare for or projects over this break?

Back in the dark ages, when finals were given after winter break, many teachers would assign a fair amount of work over the break. This had made many, including me, leary of a year round calender.

LMM

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
RainyRainyDay

I have a question. Did she have lots of homework, tests to prepare for or projects over this break?

Back in the dark ages, when finals were given after winter break, many teachers would assign a fair amount of work over the break. This had made many, including me, leary of a year round calender.

LMM
Hi, LMM!

The week before the break was gruesome - all kinds of work due, three major tests on the Friday! I can only think the teachers were determined to avoid assigning work over the break, so they really piled it on before-hand.

As a result, over the break itself, my daughter had only to complete a lab write-up and write a book report. The book report was assigned six weeks ago and was originally supposed to be due before the break too, but the teacher took pity on overloaded students and granted an extension. However, a student who planned ahead could have gotten it done before-hand. In my opinion, this wasn't a lot of assigned work during the break, and I was pleased about that. My daughter has had a good rest and done some fun activities. She got together midweek with some school friends and reported that everyone was enthusiastic about the week off.

I myself attended high school on the block system in Canada, during the dark ages. I hated having assignments to do and studying for finals to worry about during the winter break, so I'm personally a big fan of the way it's done here in the Atlanta area, with the school year starting in August and finals before Christmas.

I guess it remains to be seen if the teachers can manage to continue avoiding assigning work at the next week off, at Thanksgiving. I certainly hope so, as our family has a vacation trip planned.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
It really isn't a vacation if kids have homework, tests to study for, whatever, hanging over them.

It is great for students and teachers/staff to have a week off and for those who want to travel, September is the time for best travel deals.

But, three months in the summer can be awful long and the amount of "knowledge" not retained does not do anyone any good. Some special education students are entitled to ESY (extended school year) if it is deemed appropriate.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM

461 posts, read 1,068,592 times
City of Decatur school system went to this schedule as well. We had our first fall break the week of the 13th and the kids loved it of course. No homework either other than reading, which my son would've done anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta