Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM

23,677 posts, read 44,452,674 times

Advertisements

I thought this rather encouraging news about the immediate area:

Resurrecting Little 5 Points' The Wrecking Bar | Food Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM

32,065 posts, read 37,046,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Resurrecting Little 5 Points' The Wrecking Bar | Food Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Wow, that would be very cool!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM

3,723 posts, read 6,036,386 times
Little 5 seems a lot less counterculture than it used to be. I don't think Sembler's development had much impact on the area at all.

Sembler's development is pretty shoddy--the parking lot absolutely infuriates me, to the point that I hardly use it--but it jams a remarkable number of big boxes onto a pretty modest piece of land. Which isn't a terrible outcome, really. We are going to have the big boxes one way or another, might as well have them all crammed into one ugly development. And from the street it doesn't even look that bad.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,554,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Little 5 seems a lot less counterculture than it used to be. I don't think Sembler's development had much impact on the area at all.

Sembler's development is pretty shoddy--the parking lot absolutely infuriates me, to the point that I hardly use it--but it jams a remarkable number of big boxes onto a pretty modest piece of land. Which isn't a terrible outcome, really. We are going to have the big boxes one way or another, might as well have them all crammed into one ugly development. And from the street it doesn't even look that bad.
What was once counter culture is now mainstream. Everybody and their mother is down in L5P getting matching tattoos.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM

747 posts, read 1,550,731 times
Do you guys think EAV has replaced L5P has the counterculture hotspot in Atlanta?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,554,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Do you guys think EAV has replaced L5P has the counterculture hotspot in Atlanta?
Nah, not really. I don't even know if Atlanta really has a counterculture hot spot at the moment. I don't even know what counterculture is anymore. Can counterculture even exist if every single type of person has their own tv channel or magazine?

EAV just seems like a popular hangout spot for folks a little older than the L5P crowd who don't want to be surrounded by yuppies in Va-Hi. There's no real 'scene' there in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,436,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
That's hilarious. If anything that shopping center is probably the best thing to ever happen to that part of town. There's more people than ever in L5P. That area south of there used to be pretty scary before that complex was built. It has come a long way since.

I will say that the development isn't the best in design. It's hardly walkable. There aren't enough crosswalks inside the complex(not that Atlanta drivers pay attention to such silly things as pedestrians). Still though, it's damn convenient.

That article cracks me up...Atlanta's intown "character"...bwahaha...I guess they mean rundown ghetto because that's what a lot of the area was until that development spurred investment.

L5P is lame nowadays anyway. That article treats it like it's some sort of national treasure when it's nothing but a bunch of headshops, tattoo parlors, and dive bars. Like I said, there are more people in L5P on a daily basis then there ever has been.

How was what used to be on the site of the Edgewood Retail District previously "scary" in any way? If you remember, that site used to be occupied by the previous HQ's of Atlanta Gas Light. Granted, it wasn't usable or accessable to the general public, but it was hardly scary.

As far as L5P goes, I would certainly not catergorize it as nothing but a collection of headshops, tattoo parlors and dive bars.

I guess we just have extremely different views of Atlanta.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,436,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

I love what this guy is trying to do, Lovin. I hope he can pull it off.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 AM

444 posts, read 706,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Nah, not really. I don't even know if Atlanta really has a counterculture hot spot at the moment. I don't even know what counterculture is anymore. Can counterculture even exist if every single type of person has their own tv channel or magazine?
Counterculture may have moved online where anyone can say and be anything in an anonymous setting and express themselves in IMs, Blogs, Tweets, Facebook, etc etc. Maybe we are part of a counterculture, though not really localized in one area except this forum.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 AM

444 posts, read 706,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Sembler's development doesn't seem to have affected L5P in any negative way. I actually see potential in the two areas, but they both need to be tweaked. I feel that L5P is kinda small, but with some infill connecting to the Edgewood area it could be enhanced. They both could be enhanced through better connectivity.

Quote:

Which bring me to this. I remember being so excited about the Sembler development. The renderings looked amazing and I thought about how much this would change the area for the better. Years later, the results have been pretty drastic. There are certain things that I like about this development, such as the townhomes that line it on the edges. However, I am not thrilled with all of the surface lots and big box stores.

I think that when the time comes, it could be easily retrofitted to a more urban/dense format, which is very encouraging. That, along with more infill/pedestrian bridge providing better connectivity, would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta