Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 17,850 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are moving to Atlanta in the next couple of months. We are looking for advice on what area to look in. I will be traveling a lot with my job in the city of Atlanta and the state of GA. I'm in sales traveling to different offices throughout the city. So, I would not be going in at the same time or to the same place everyday. I need to access all parts of the city and outlying areas. Would it be viable to do this living in Marietta/Kennesaw? Or just live in the city and go out from there? Just curious if anyone else has the same set up and thanks for the advice.

Last edited by nat1; 11-11-2010 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 AM

876 posts, read 2,282,149 times
Marietta area would be easier to travel from all over Atlanta area than Kennesaw would be because it is closer in town. We would need more information to give you answers. Go to this thread to fill out these guideline quesitons: Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

Answering these questions will give us more information about yourself:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the response. I should have read the sticky before posting.....Here we go.

We want to rent at first spending around 1500-2000 a month.
Prefer a house near/on a golf course
I will be based out of my home, but I have to travel in and around Atlanta visiting different offices four days a week. Kind of like a pharmaceutical rep and going to downtown to all the outlying areas as well.
1 child (2 yrs old) so haven't decided to go private/public right now
Prefer the suburban area, not so much city life people
Don't really care about being close to public transport
We are caucasian and would like to live around like minded people from the standpoint of keeping nice homes, yards etc. whoever fits into that bucket.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,534,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1 View Post
Thanks for the response. I should have read the sticky before posting.....Here we go.

We want to rent at first spending around 1500-2000 a month.
Prefer a house near/on a golf course
I will be based out of my home, but I have to travel in and around Atlanta visiting different offices four days a week. Kind of like a pharmaceutical rep and going to downtown to all the outlying areas as well.
1 child (2 yrs old) so haven't decided to go private/public right now
Prefer the suburban area, not so much city life people
Don't really care about being close to public transport
We are caucasian and would like to live around like minded people from the standpoint of keeping nice homes, yards etc. whoever fits into that bucket.

Thanks for any help.
Only one in East Cobb/Marietta I know with a golf course is in Indian Hills. Nice community with swim and tennis club as well....and down the road for excellent public schools. I have seen rentals in there occasionally.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

16,729 posts, read 29,609,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Only one in East Cobb/Marietta I know with a golf course is in Indian Hills. Nice community with swim and tennis club as well....and down the road for excellent public schools. I have seen rentals in there occasionally.

East Cobb/Marietta also has the Atlanta Country Club (for a golf course)--but this neighborhoo is very expensive.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. Would if we just drop the golf idea? What is the best place to raise a family, but still access all parts of the city. I want to be out a little, but not sitting in my car for 2 hours. Kennesaw? Marietta? Smyrna? Dunwoody? Or even south but need access to 75 and 85. thanks

Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,802,197 times
I think it depends how frequently you go to different parts of town.

The most congested corridors in town are I-285 on the north side between I-75 and I-85, I-85 north of I-285, I-75 north of I-285, and GA400 north of I-285 (yes it is a northside trend). Most of Atlanta's suburban growth has been northward.

I mention this because if you go to Gwinnett County alot Marietta is not the best place. You might consider a place in the middle near I-285 and GA400 or a place more intown, so you can reverse commute to both Cobb, Gwinnett, and have better access to the neighborhoods south of Atlanta as well.

If you move too far north up GA400, I-75, I-85 you will find many really great places to live, but that comes at a cost of traffic congestion.

Do you know where the highest concentrations of offices you will travel to are? or is it pretty much any takers you can find? If the latter... do you sell to certain particular types of companies? (Some posters might be able to you where certain types of companies are more concentrated in the Atlanta area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta