Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 23,943 times

Advertisements

Im moving from Ny to Atl. I will be working in the "Pill Hill" area (I think that is what it is called). Im trying to find a nice area to rent an apartment or townhouse that has a good middle school district and is not too expensive. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom but a 2 bedroom would do also. I was actually thinking about the Roswell/Alpharetta area because the schools are great (from research) but I was also thinking about the Duluth area. I'm just not sure if the Duluth area will be a terrible commute. Any suggestions????? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,747,762 times
Stay right around Pill Hill or go a bit further North to Dunwoody. Lots of apartments and townhomes to choose from. There's really no sense in traveling to Dultuh unless you love the area and want to eventually buy there. Stick close by to work. Schools are great in Dunwoody and also around Pill Hill. And there are tons of complexes with amenities that offer both 3 bedroom apartments and detached townhomes. I'm thinking about some on Ashford Dunwoody Road right near Perimeter Mall. Others right on Glenridge which is walking distance to Pill Hill. Look on rent.com for starters and then check apartmentratings.com. Then ask us!

Old 06-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Thank you!!! I cross check everything with apartmentratings.com but even some of the high end apartments in that area have terrible reviews! So you think the Rosewell/Alpharetta area is too far?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,680,911 times
There has been some discussion on this board, that people only write negative things on the apartment ratings site--no one with anything positive to say writes it..

What is your budget and how old are your kid(s)?

I might be able to give you some advice.

Also, the traffic on and around Pill Hill is terrible, so you have to already add time for that onto to rest of your commute.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM

It would be great if I could stay below 1100/month. I have two children, one would need daycare and the other going into middle school. Thank You, again!!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 148,465 times
Default Stay close to Dunwoody!

I used to work on Pill Hill and rented a condo at Dunwoody Springs. It about 1 1/2 mile north of Northside hospital on Peachtree Dunwoody. There were apartment style condos, and small garden homes and townhomes. Some even had nice 2-car garages. It was very private and had a small lake in the back. They were built in the mid 80's, so they are getting a bit older. You could drive around back there and see if there are any owner rentals. Now the bad part. On occasion, it would take me 15-20 minutes just to go that one and a half miles to the hospital in the morning because of the congestion in the hill area. There are many stoplights and sometimes you wait through a cycle before you can advance. Also, with the 285 access there, some cars would be waiting to turn causing a logjam. So, the closer you live to the hospitals, the better! I do not know about the schools there, but I would check those out first and find the best ones closest to the hospital.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Thank you so very much! I will take your comment to heart and stay as close as possible

Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,931,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
There has been some discussion on this board, that people only write negative things on the apartment ratings site--no one with anything positive to say writes it..
People in general are something like 5 times more likely to complain then they are to compliment anything, as well as posting ratings on these sites.

The best way to use these rating sites is to see if there are any consistently negative comments about the SAME thing. For example, 50 people writing generic "this place sucks" shouldn't be taken too seriously, but if 25 people write in saying that the office staff doesn't return resident phone calls, or 20 people say that their A/C units don't work properly and after a month they still haven't repaired them, that tells you something about the level of service, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta