Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 12,902 times

Advertisements

I just got a job as a flight attendant with Delta Airlines, I will be based in Atlanta and I'm moving here with my wife from Sunrise, Florida. I have never been to Atlanta before. I'm looking for an apartment near the airport. Any suggestions on where I could move so that I do not need to commute too far, but still live in a low crime area?

Thanks!

Last edited by dornelas; 10-03-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
One thing to consider...if you choose an area like Midtown or Downtown you will find numerous options as far as apartments and condos, and MARTA to/from the airport is exceptional - a 10 minute (or so) ride and it let's you off inside the terminal. You'll also find a much more livable environment for when you aren't flying.

If you're renting, I don't know of a lot of options near the airport, but I'm sure there are some within a 10 minute drive...but that doesn't really make it more convenient IMO. Just something to think about.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Depends what you mean by "close". Most airport-based workers choose the southern suburbs of Fayetteville, Peachtree City, and Newnan--these are of varying distances (20-30mins), price levels, and so forth, but all tend to be reasonably affordable with low crime.

If you want to live close close, the city of Hapeville (immediately adjacent to the airport on the northern side) and parts of East Point are probably your best bets. The are more urban and have a medium crime rate. Hapeville has new apartment complexes within a 2-3 minute drive of Delta's headquarters, and development and gentrification in the area is rampant.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Depends what you mean by "close". Most airport-based workers choose the southern suburbs of Fayetteville, Peachtree City, and Newnan--these are of varying distances (20-30mins), price levels, and so forth, but all tend to be reasonably affordable with low crime.

If you want to live close close, the city of Hapeville (immediately adjacent to the airport on the northern side) and parts of East Point are probably your best bets. The are more urban and have a medium crime rate. Hapeville has new apartment complexes within a 2-3 minute drive of Delta's headquarters, and development and gentrification in the area is rampant.
Most airport workers who are purchasing may choose the southern suburbs, but I kinda think you're on the money with Hapeville for a renter. It's still nothing like what Midtown/Downtown would offer as far as amenities, but it's certainly livable and definitely gentrifying. I'm not aware of many nicer places to rent in East Point - it's mostly single family - but College Park in addition to Hapeville does have some pretty decent apartments that are specifically catered to flight attendants.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 AM

339 posts, read 696,142 times
Some would say stay out of Clayton County (Clayco), but like everywhere there are pockets of crime and there are nice areas in Clayco. I would check out Jonesboro and southern Clayco. Depending where you live in Clayco, you can take SR 139 (Riverdale Rd) or SR 314, GA 85 straight to the airport.

Now, if you have children (your post didn't mention children) Clayco schools did have an accreditation issue a couple of years ago, which seems to have stablized, at least for now. But if you don't have children and you are only looking to rent, then I'd suggest Clayco especially over College Park (CP).

I did live in CP for awhile and for renting apartments I don't think you will find those areas with CP to be the most hospitable. Although historic College Park has lovely homes to buy and it is a great area.

I don't know much about Hapeville except it is near the airport. Another thing to consider is airplane noise from landing and take-off. Parts of College Park and East Point, Hapeville may be too close to the airport/ the flight paths to avoid the noise.

Eventually you may want to consider Fayetteville or Peachtree City they are in Fayette County which is west/south west of Clayton County but the commute will be much longer.

Since you are renting for now, I'd go with Clayco until you get acclimated with the surrounding areas in the greater Atlanta area and can make a decision based on your anticipated lifestyle/needs.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM

As an East Point resident, it isn't in the flight path...and both Hapeville and College Park have some very nice apartment communities that cater to flight attendants.

If you're gonna go as far as Clayton County, you might as well come in toward Downtown/Midtown and get a zillion more options.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

439 posts, read 852,748 times
I dont know where you guys are getting your data from but Hapeville? Really? Crime ridden as it is College Park. Rental? I would not dare. One cannot take a casual walk in Hapeville without getting harassed by drug dealers (by Virginia Avenue). Peachtree City is far and the traffic? No one talked about the traffic. I would strongly suggest, sir, that you visit Atlanta first and see what is best for you. Rental dwellings, specially apartments in the areas mentioned (Hapeville, College Park, East Point) are in stable like condos. Some are new and most very run down. They are the kind of dwellings you can hear the neighbor cough and yell at their children...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I dont know where you guys are getting your data from but Hapeville? Really? Crime ridden as it is College Park. Rental? I would not dare. One cannot take a casual walk in Hapeville without getting harassed by drug dealers (by Virginia Avenue). Peachtree City is far and the traffic? No one talked about the traffic. I would strongly suggest, sir, that you visit Atlanta first and see what is best for you. Rental dwellings, specially apartments in the areas mentioned (Hapeville, College Park, East Point) are in stable like condos. Some are new and most very run down. They are the kind of dwellings you can hear the neighbor cough and yell at their children...
Hapeville has a lower C-D crime index than the City of Atlanta. Also, it's not impossible to rent a house; in fact, it's extremely common.

And the traffic between Peachtree City and the airport is as close to negligible as you'll get in this metro area. If you're commuting off-peak (this is a flight attendant, after all), traffic is a total non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta