Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM

16,720 posts, read 29,581,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookegp View Post
I REALLY appreciate the advice! I didn't realize that the traffic was that bad from Northern Atlanta to Emory. I didn't know if the traffic was horrible for both highways from the north (400 and I-75)/ I was hoping that one highway would be a little less busy. So overall, it looks like you guys would recommend the East side of Atlanta and if I was insane enough to live on the North side of Atlanta, I should take highway 400 instead of I-75. Thanks

Yes...definitely the eastside of Metro Atlanta...and you will find comparable communities/areas with a good commute to Emory (see posts above).

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,816,448 times
It all depends on the time of day and your access to the highway. My husband commutes from Roswell to Georgia Tech or some days to Kennesaw and the time of day/accidents/weather determine if it is 30 minutes or an hour and thirty minutes. Before we decided on a house, he drove various routes at different times to see what he could tolerate. The concept of "reverse commute" doesn't always apply here.
I personally think 400 is easier than I-75 but that is up for debate.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
It all depends on the time of day and your access to the highway. My husband commutes from Roswell to Georgia Tech or some days to Kennesaw and the time of day/accidents/weather determine if it is 30 minutes or an hour and thirty minutes. Before we decided on a house, he drove various routes at different times to see what he could tolerate. The concept of "reverse commute" doesn't always apply here.
I personally think 400 is easier than I-75 but that is up for debate.
Roswell to Georgia Tech/Downtown/Midtown is not bad.

Roswell to Emory Area...not good.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,816,448 times
I've only been to Emory once so I guess I shouldn't have commented, but my point is that someone should personally make the drive at the times they will be commuting because the drive times can be very different than what one expects just looking at a map. And paying attention to the morning traffic reports day after day, it doesn't take long before you realize the traffic hot spots and be glad you didn't move one or two exits up the road.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I've only been to Emory once so I guess I shouldn't have commented, but my point is that someone should personally make the drive at the times they will be commuting because the drive times can be very different than what one expects just looking at a map. And paying attention to the morning traffic reports day after day, it doesn't take long before you realize the traffic hot spots and be glad you didn't move one or two exits up the road.

True...and good advice.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,267,172 times
Wait....why hasn't someone asked why the OP doesn't consider much, much closer intown neighborhoods like Lavista Park, Toco Hills, Sagamore Hills, Druid Hills, Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Candler Park, Decatur, Medlock Park (excellent proximity to the Clairmont Campus, which means the shuttle or biking via the shuttle route which isn't open to anyone else), etc.

I live in Candler Park and my BIKE COMMUTE to Emory is 15 minutes. On a bad day.

What is it you're looking for, exactly?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,948 times
Right, all the neighborhoods pless listed above are your best bet. They are all wonderful neighborhoods. If you have a price range for your home, that would help tremendously. Also, do you have kids?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,792,185 times
I am from the Lilburn/Mountain Park area that was previously mentioned and have run into a good deal of people that commute to the Emory CDC area and I just wanted to explain why you might want to consider it...

especially in terms of commute.

(I am assuming from your original question you want to be in a suburban area and outside the perimeter)

Several decades ago Atlanta had a plan to greatly expand the freeway infrastructure and most of it was not built, but there were a few segments that were. One was the Stone Mountain freeway (U.S. 78).
It runs from the Lilburn area straight past I-285 and turns into normal road (with traffic lights) within a few miles of the Emory/CDC area.
This freeway is not congested at all. Most of the traffic congestion is on the local roads from the freeway to Emory and from the end of the freeway in Lilburn/Mountain park to wherever you find a home.

It is worth looking into and trying a test commute. If you live to the north there are some nice communities, but as for commute you will be competing with downtown/midtown commuters on the freeway

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 AM

6 posts, read 19,454 times
I know the OP posted awhile ago, but I would most definitely not recommend living any further north on 400 than Dunwoody. Exits 7-10 get so backed up in the morning that it's faster to take surface streets downtown - from the north Alpharetta/Forsyth county area you're looking at a 2 hour commute if you leave any time between 6:45-8:45am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta