Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 AM
ewt ewt started this thread

25 posts, read 109,419 times

Advertisements

So, it looks like I will be moving to Atlanta for a new job in the coming weeks and I am now on the hunt for somewhere to live. I am somewhat familiar with Atlanta as I worked in the city one summer, but that was several years ago and things have definitely grown and changed since then.

I've heard a lot about East Atlanta and it has definitely peaked my interest. I am a a 30 year old single female professional, so I really want a safe place where I will feel comfortable and have the opportunity to meet other young professionals. Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Midtown, and Kirkwood are also on my list. I put East Atlanta in the title though because it seems like it would be the furthest away from my job and because I found a really nice looking townhouse available there.

If I end up in East Atlanta (or Midtown or Kirkwood for that matter), how bad will my commute be? I have no intention of taking the highway, so I'm thinking street traffic to the Emory CDC area. Can someone advise?

Also, does anyone have other recommendations for areas where I should live? For now, I would like to hover around $1000/mo for a place (I want to buy in a year, so I am looking to save as much as possible). I'm open to living in a house or townhouse. I would live in a condo/apt if it's really amazing, but I think I would like to have more space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Where in "East Atlanta" is this townhome? I ask because that term is used sometimes loosely to lure in buyers.

The drive from Glenwood/Moreland to Emory is about 15-20 minutes with little traffic, but you can add significantly to that during rush hours. It's straight shot up Moreland (which changes to Briarcliff) and then over N Decatur Road. So, that is a pretty "easy" commute routewise, but the conditions of the roads can be highly variable.

I would try to focus on Decatur if you can - that would be a much easier commute. Even the Highlands.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
I would focus on Decatur too. You can't beat the commute to Emory and it's a wonderful little town where you can walk to shops, restaurants, parks, the library, etc.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM

360 posts, read 1,010,981 times
Another vote for Decatur. One thing, it's closer. I have a friend in East Atlanta Village. She likes it, but says the crime there is still an issue (although crime is somewhat of an issue anywhere, some places are worse than others.)

Still, your commute wouldn't be that bad. If you get a good vibe from your East Atlanta neighborhood, like the place you may rent/buy, then make the drive one day during rush hour and see how it is. Moreland/Ponce is a real bottleneck, I can tell you that. EAV is definitely an up-and-coming area. But Decatur has already arrived. I like EAV. I just like Decatur a little better. (For me, EAV would be closer to work, so I may consider it ... IF I EVER SELL MY CONDO! YE'GODS!)

Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I would focus on Decatur too. You can't beat the commute to Emory and it's a wonderful little town where you can walk to shops, restaurants, parks, the library, etc.
In my happier alternative universe, I live right in downtown Decatur and never leave except for trips out of the state. LOL. Decatur is definitely the jewel in DeKalb's somewhat crappy crown.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
ewt ewt started this thread

25 posts, read 109,419 times
The townhouse is in the Eastland Gates neighborhood. Is that a not-so-East-Atlanta townhouse then?

Thanks for the tip on the commute though everyone!. I'll try a bit harder to find something closer to Decatur then. I like that area too, its just that it's gotten a bit pricier, so I was wondering if I should try to get more for my money somewhere else.

Here's a question though- Any good townhome communities in Decatur? It seems like the ones I see (again, I'm renting for now) are in unincorporated Decatur, not real Decatur. I just don't want to be in an unsafe area. Any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewt View Post
The townhouse is in the Eastland Gates neighborhood. Is that a not-so-East-Atlanta townhouse then?

Thanks for the tip on the commute though everyone!. I'll try a bit harder to find something closer to Decatur then. I like that area too, its just that it's gotten a bit pricier, so I was wondering if I should try to get more for my money somewhere else.

Here's a question though- Any good townhome communities in Decatur? It seems like the ones I see (again, I'm renting for now) are in unincorporated Decatur, not real Decatur. I just don't want to be in an unsafe area. Any thoughts?
I'm in unincorporated, and yes, my goal is to be in the city limits or at least in a better part. I'm sort of in-between -- not so great, not so bad. Generally speaking, west and north is good and south and east is bad. But there are exceptions to that in both directions. Anything south of Memorial Drive seems pretty dicey to me. Again, there are probably exceptions I don't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta