Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM

9 posts, read 16,244 times

Advertisements

most of what I read is about to find mens but I can't find where to meet women at. plus is there any women want a man for example like myself because I have been reading posts that want mens who are doctors, lawyers. Can anyone relay to me about that please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 12,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the fact that a lot of people are willing to live near a club or bar is what makes a city. If that weren't the case, we could just stick all the bars and clubs in an abandoned strip mall on the I-75 Frontage Road and be done with it.

But not many people would like that. For most of us, a big part of what makes an entertainment venue deisrable is the way it blends into the urban fabric. We want to go to an area that is considered hip, fun and trendy. It's even better if it offers a variety of restaurants, bars and clubs within walking distance. We prefer places that have a cool look and feel, and that have a reputation that will draw in other people as well.

Those conditions don't just materialize by magic. Most of the time they occur when a community has gotten its act together to the point where restaurants, bars and shops feel comfortable opening up. As we know, they typically won't open in places they perceive as too dangerous, too trashed out, or that have suffered too much neglect.

So these areas need to be cultivated and nurtured, usually over a period of years. And they need to be protected. The collapse of the Buckhead bar scene -- which had a national reputation -- due to violence is a classic example of how that can happen.

One of the points I'm raising is that to really make the club scene in Atlanta thrive is for at least some of the people who go there to develop a sense of ownership and investment in the neighborhood. Put down roots. Make it your home. Know what people in the community think and be part of it yourself. Understand the issues and resolve them instead of blowing them off.

Be a citizen.
Well, willing to and want to are different things. When looking for a home people seek good school districts, shopping, hospitals etc... Having a nice club to hang out in next door isn't a quality most would shop for. Nitelife is cool, but I don't want to live in it. Hip/fun/trendy living accomodations doesn't equate to area where there's a club IMO

Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM

32,071 posts, read 37,083,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL bound now View Post
Well, willing to and want to are different things. When looking for a home people seek good school districts, shopping, hospitals etc... Having a nice club to hang out in next door isn't a quality most would shop for. Nitelife is cool, but I don't want to live in it. Hip/fun/trendy living accomodations doesn't equate to area where there's a club IMO
Spoken like a true NIMBY. "I want cool, hip, trendy clubs, just so long as they're not too close to me."

The willingness of people to integrate bars, restaurants and shops into their neighborhoods is an essential element of what differentiates urban environments from suburbs. There's nothing wrong with suburbs, they're just different. If you're fine with driving up to the Applebee's at the mall or popping into the club that's in the strip mall where Service Merchandise used to be that's great. You can easily keep these venues away from your home.

However, a good many people are attracted to a denser urban environment, where the nightlife is an integral part of the neighborhood. That's the way things evolved in the older neighborhoods in Buckhead along streets like Piedmont and Peachtree and Cheshire Bridge, in Midtown on Juniper and Ponce, out along Marietta on the west side, on streets like Highland and Edgewood in Inman Park, on Highland and St. Charles in Virginia-Highland, and on Peters in Castleberry Hill.

To bring that about, you had to have people who were (and are) willing to accomodate nightlife in their community. It's not always a piece of cake for them, but the bars and restaurants are part of their community and they have learned to get along. They see the good as outweighing the bad. They like having these places nearby, and like the energy and variety they bring to the community. That -- learning to mix and accommodate people and uses on a close level and intense level -- is literally what makes a city.

If we want urban life, that means close integration of our bars, shops and restaurants with our residential areas. And that's not better or worse than suburban living, it's simply different.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 12,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Spoken like a true NIMBY. "I want cool, hip, trendy clubs, just so long as they're not too close to me."

The willingness of people to integrate bars, restaurants and shops into their neighborhoods is an essential element of what differentiates urban environments from suburbs. There's nothing wrong with suburbs, they're just different. If you're fine with driving up to the Applebee's at the mall or popping into the club that's in the strip mall where Service Merchandise used to be that's great. You can easily keep these venues away from your home.

However, a good many people are attracted to a denser urban environment, where the nightlife is an integral part of the neighborhood. That's the way things evolved in the older neighborhoods in Buckhead along streets like Piedmont and Peachtree and Cheshire Bridge, in Midtown on Juniper and Ponce, out along Marietta on the west side, on streets like Highland and Edgewood in Inman Park, on Highland and St. Charles in Virginia-Highland, and on Peters in Castleberry Hill.

To bring that about, you had to have people who were (and are) willing to accomodate nightlife in their community. It's not always a piece of cake for them, but the bars and restaurants are part of their community and they have learned to get along. They see the good as outweighing the bad. They like having these places nearby, and like the energy and variety they bring to the community. That -- learning to mix and accommodate people and uses on a close level and intense level -- is literally what makes a city.

If we want urban life, that means close integration of our bars, shops and restaurants with our residential areas. And that's not better or worse than suburban living, it's simply different.
Keep in mind I'm not from ATL. I'm one of the people moving there so I can't discuss the history of Atlanta's neighborhoods. Still I do understand Economics and black communities. Nobody I know specifically wants the night spot to be across the street from the house. It's one thing to discuss restaurants and shopping, but as far as clubs that's totally different IMO. People may avoid the suburbs because of not wanting commutes but nobody wants to contend with traffic in their neighborhood as a selling point. The traffic that clubs attract isn't something I'd want across the street from the house. I've lived in New Orleans, Philadelphia and other major cities. Of course neighborhood restaurants/shops are a welcome addition but I don't think most specifically want to live near the Luckie or Magic City/Central Station etc... to the point where it would be a selling point on the neighborhood. As I've stated, I could see parents checking for good schools,proximity to work, hospitals, shopping, public transportation etc... But when looking for a neighborhood to buy a house in where you plan to be there several years, I don't see 'can I get my groove on at the club' being a selling point of criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta