Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 17,498 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about doing my clinical rotations at Emory University Hospital and I was hoping to get an idea of where a good place would be to live. I'm in my early twenties and want to be around other young professionals who enjoy going to bars, the theater, and concerts. For those who know the area well where would you recommend I look into? I want to stay as close to the hospital as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,097,564 times
Virginia Highlands is a neighborhood next to Emory's campus. Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia I think you would enjoy living there based on what you listed.

City of Decatur is a nice area too. Many Emory professor's live there. The downtown area has lots of restaurants and shopping. City of Decatur : Taste

Decatur Metro » Restaurants

Midtown would be a good choice for you too. I lived there when I was doing my undergraduate at Emory.

MidtownAtlanta.org - News and Events

Midtown Alliance

Which Emory Hospital? The main campus or Midtown? Either way - both is an easy commute. Good luck and welcome!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
I lived in Lenox Park in Buckhead for many years and a lot of Emory residents, including one of my best friends also lived there. I never went to Emory, but my friend said that once you learn the back roads and how not to take Briarcliff, it's a really easy commute. Apparently there is a back way off Cheshire Bridge and through Morningside.

Why Lenox Park and not VaHi or Decatur? Well, my friend decided on it because the apartments in Lenox Park are nice and new. We lived at the Post property there. His attitude was that while pulling call and working crazy hours, the last thing he wanted to worry about was a leaky toilet or broken air conditioner. I'll be the first to admit that Post properties are corporate and not perfect, but they generally have worry free maintenance and this property in particular had exceptional maintenance because they cater to busy professionals who aren't going to stand for shoddy workmanship.

It's just a suggestion. You may think you want a party now, but just wait until you've worked your first 36 hour day. The only thing you are going to want is someplace quiet and worry free so you can get some sleep.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,265,213 times
You actually have lots of options.

Midtown - access to the most urban part of town
VAHi - a yuppie village-like neighborhood
Decatur - a yuppie perfect city (and I mean that in a good way)
Lenox - upscale
Buckhead - upscale
Little 5 Points - not technically a neighborhood but sort with Bass Lofts - a "hipster" part of town
Cabbagetown - an extremely cool and kinda gritty place

I know I'm missing some. But those are the areas off the top of my head where I *think*someone your age would have a good time and still be withing biking distance of Emory (should you choose to bike to work).

It's just a matter of what atmosphere you like.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 17,498 times
Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely look into all the suggestions.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 AM

876 posts, read 2,280,112 times
Good choices already mentioned, but also note: Avondale Estates near Decatur is decent as well. You are very convenient to Emory from that area just inside 285 (ITP). Good luck and welcome to Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta