Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,489 times

Advertisements

We are comtemplating relocating to the Atlanta area and have been told that the Camp Creek area is a nice community, proximate to downtown where you can get a good bang for your buck in terms of real estate. (We actually have a friend that lives there now.) My concern is finding an excellent school. I have read that East Cobb Co. area and North Fulton have some of the best schools, perhaps higher incomes and higher real estate. Has the Camp Creek area developed enough where there are identifiable public elementary schools that one would characterize as excellent and competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM

16,718 posts, read 29,574,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermom2 View Post
We are comtemplating relocating to the Atlanta area and have been told that the Camp Creek area is a nice community, proximate to downtown where you can get a good bang for your buck in terms of real estate. (We actually have a friend that lives there now.) My concern is finding an excellent school. I have read that East Cobb Co. area and North Fulton have some of the best schools, perhaps higher incomes and higher real estate. Has the Camp Creek area developed enough where there are identifiable public elementary schools that one would characterize as excellent and competitive?

https://portal.fultonschools.org/departments/Operations/Operational_Planning/Documents/ZoneMaps/LargeMap_SF_ES_1011.pdf (broken link)

Stonewall Tell
Cliftondale
Renaissance
Randolph
Seaborn Lee

https://portal.fultonschools.org/Schools/Pages/default.aspx (broken link)

Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 PM

97 posts, read 242,124 times
Hey there.

Let's see.... ** Excellent ** elementary over here in Camp Creek? No. Above average, you want to check into Stonewall Tell which is supposed to be pretty decent although currently overcrowded (1100 students)!!!

A friend of mine has her son at Cliftondale Elementary and she is really pleased.

Renaissance Elementary, I have heard negative things about.

A. Phillip Randolph is, I believe, slightly below average (this is in terms of test scores).

I know nothing about Seaborn Lee.

There is a new charter school that will be K-8 starting up this Fall called Main Street Academy. Check out TMSA for information.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM

281 posts, read 618,001 times
I'm not even sure there are any excellent elementary schools in Atlanta, except maybe Westminster. To be considered excellent I would think they would have to be way above the Georgia average on CRCT scores. Morningside is very good I think, along with some of the schools that serve Candler Park, Virginia-Highlands and City of Decatur. I looked at the scores for Stonewall Tell and they are not outstanding by any means, especially as you get to the higher grades. I would recommend you stick with Morningside or City of Decatur, or if you can afford it go with a private school like Westminster.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermom2 View Post

Supermom2,

Do not judge a school by test scores alone. This would do you a total disservice.

I recommend visiting each of the schools listed above. I think you'll find what you're looking for.

(Stonewall Tell)
(Cliftondale)
(Renaissance)
(Randolph)
(Seaborn Lee)

Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Stick with the schools I mentioned and you really can't go wrong. The schools I mentioned also offer a lot more diversity. Test scores don't tell the whole story, but are really the only way to compare schools. You can't go wrong with Morningside, Springdale, Mary Lin or City of Decatur. If you can afford it consider Westminster or Padiea(sp?). Your kids formative years are too important to risk on an unproven school.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Supermom2,

You'll be fine (and happy!) with many of the schools in the Camp Creek Area.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Don't trust your kids to a school where 25% of the kids in the fourth and fifth grades are not meeting expectations on the CRCT in math and science. The standards are shockingly low and if that big a percentage of kids are failing there is something very wrong.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Check out the specifics here. Just check "elementary" and put Camp Creek Parkway in the search box.

Atlanta School Information | Find Information on Atlanta Public, Private, Elementary, Middle & High Schools in Atlanta Georgia - AJCHomeFinder.com

Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Supermom2,

You'll be fine (and happy!) with many of the schools in the Camp Creek Area.

Supermom2,

The standards at several of the schools in the Camp Creek area are excellent.

Students not meeting a bar has to do with other factors--not the supreme quality of the good schools in the Camp Creek area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta