Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
The danger is in the extremist tail wagging the reasonable dog. I wish the reasonable would see the danger for themselves, but the trouble is that, having swallowed some of the bunk, what's to stop them being fed the rest of it?

If we don't tell them, no - one will. And the choice seems uncompromisingly clear. One is either rational or not. If one is rational, one has to become at least Pantheist-deist/agnostic. If not, one is in the mindset where Bible - literalist Fundamentalism is going to look irrestible.
Agreed! With the advent and popularity of the Internet, I think its the single greatest tool to date to assist atheism/agnosticism.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Quote:
One bod (editor of a fringe - science publication, now apparently defunct) said 'The Internet puts people to sleep.' Well, that was just one of a series of fatheaded remarks.

I believe that the Internet is the biggest fillip...I think it's fillip...to human learning, empowerment and ecaping the control of Moderator cut: orphaned in authority who want to stop their sheeple - political and religious - finding out the unwelcome truth.

True, the puerveyors (sic.)of Arkeology and dinosaur footprints over human ones can publish their webs too. That's absolutely fine as where else are we going to find the facts?

Or at least the claims to check the facts about.
Yeah back in the old days think of how many books were burned that were considered a threat to religion.

They can't take down the internet

Last edited by june 7th; 05-20-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
The fundies and the fantastical are scary. Their numbers are large, and their collective intelligence is not.

The majority of the strife, suffering, wars, genocides are all rooted it the utterly stupid premise that my deity is better than your deity (or lack of).

In this country the fanatical fundies are working to impose their beliefs on all, dumb down our education even further by teaching fantasy in place of science fact, and re-writing the history our children are taught (see link below).

Anyone is free to have all the imaginary friends they want, practice rituals while they have one sided conversations with their imaginary friend. Knock yourselves out. NOW when they spread their hatred and intolerance, start wars, dumb down education, impose laws forcing their beliefs on all, I have a real problem with them, and due to their numbers, it is scary.

'Texas schoolbook massacre' rewrites American history - Americas, World - The Independent

Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
why, Pol Pot was an atheist!!

Interesting,.....Hitler was a christian.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol I just realized the title of this thread probably makes you think at first glance its another condescending thread to atheists/agnostics by some religious person but I'm sure some of you have come to know me by now as being atheist by my regular posts:P

Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here? Maybe its relatively new to me because I never grew up with religion around me and my only exposure was to some other family members like going to a wedding in a Church or a communion but religion was never pushed on me.

There's quite a few religious posters on here who seem so blinded by their faith, its so easy to see why the Crusades happened, all the fighting in the current day Middle East, seeing how infamous religious fanatics like David Koresh and the Heavens gate group can occur.

I dunno...I'm just honestly freaked out a bit at times when I read some of these posts by religious people on here.
What I find scary and sad are the believers that ignore tons of tested evidence and think they know more or better than actually scientists and then try to explain how the scientists are wrong and misguided because the bible is not wrong. It is sad and scary because they have no clue.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting,.....Hitler was a christian.
But not a "Real" Christian.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,234 times
Well, a lot of what I hear from religious people, and a lot of what I read here does make me say to myself, man, what makes these people tick. They just don't get it. I feel bad that so many people are just mis-informed and brow-beaten to where they really do believe all that stuff. I feel for them, but no more than I feel for someone who got cheated on a purchase, or somehow otherwise defrauded. I am very incensed at my tax dollars being spent in the furtherance and promotion of religion and I'm waging a one-man (one man so far) crusade against it.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
My first experience with fanatical Christians was on a Halloween many years ago, when my dad (who was active in community theatre) dressed up in a devil costume. Some idiots who saw it weren't pleased at all and hounded him for months with phone calls because they decided he was promoting Satan. He was very disgusted by the whole episode. So was I. Humorless twits!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:33 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Stalin also had a mustache. However Mussolini was clean-shaven so far as I know and so was Mao.

I think more extreme people are drawn by the Internet because there's less accountability and more anonymity. Also it's such a big world on the Net that any extreme/fringe view a person can have will find support by someone. Lastly some just like to "talk extreme" because they think it makes conversation lively or they find it funny.

That said I've seen people in offline life with some really weird and extreme views, some related to religion. Like this librarian, a Catholic ostensibly like me, who told me she thought the Nephilim of the Bible might be space aliens and that my nephew's autism might be caused by him being a human/alien hybrid. Or the women in Arkansas who felt my birth, seeing as I have a bone disorder, was a punishment from God against my mother. However being religious I notice weird and extreme views whether they're related to religion or not. Like the guy who said he needed to stockpile guns in case he had to overthrow Bill Clinton or who sicked attack dogs on black people or the professor who insisted HIV doesn't cause AIDS.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-25-2010 at 05:04 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol I just realized the title of this thread probably makes you think at first glance its another condescending thread to atheists/agnostics by some religious person but I'm sure some of you have come to know me by now as being atheist by my regular posts:P

Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here? Maybe its relatively new to me because I never grew up with religion around me and my only exposure was to some other family members like going to a wedding in a Church or a communion but religion was never pushed on me.

There's quite a few religious posters on here who seem so blinded by their faith, its so easy to see why the Crusades happened, all the fighting in the current day Middle East, seeing how infamous religious fanatics like David Koresh and the Heavens gate group can occur.

I dunno...I'm just honestly freaked out a bit at times when I read some of these posts by religious people on here.
I don't get scared.. just concerned about the future of human kind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism