Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol I just realized the title of this thread probably makes you think at first glance its another condescending thread to atheists/agnostics by some religious person but I'm sure some of you have come to know me by now as being atheist by my regular posts:P

Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here? Maybe its relatively new to me because I never grew up with religion around me and my only exposure was to some other family members like going to a wedding in a Church or a communion but religion was never pushed on me.

There's quite a few religious posters on here who seem so blinded by their faith, its so easy to see why the Crusades happened, all the fighting in the current day Middle East, seeing how infamous religious fanatics like David Koresh and the Heavens gate group can occur.

I dunno...I'm just honestly freaked out a bit at times when I read some of these posts by religious people on here.
In my opinion,
having the kind of faith you mentioned in a god gives one the ability to opt out of personal responsibility. If I could simply "give it to god" then I don't have to deal with it. In a sense it's chickening out, leaving something (god) else to be accountable for your action and then hiding behind this figure as if all of your revenge will be carried out by this god. To me the whole concept of "A (the) GOD" is nothing more than a personal crutch gone wild.
Also, to me the reward for living a good life is in the "good life" and not an after life. If the after life was real then we would know it not read a story from 2000+ years ago written by men who were trying to change others and their beliefs.
"Look at the signs!", that's what we'll hear from church going folks. I drive a good bit and if all I ever saw were signs I would never get anywhere. Just like I believe these people of faiths will never get anywhere but to the next sign. It makes for a long boring journey, the journey is where the fun is.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I have no choice but to believe that. What these people are teaching IS NOT what the Word of God says. I am not one to say the eveyone has to go by the Word of God, or even agree on what IS the Word of God - this is freely up to each person - but if you are claiming to teach the Word of God, as the people at Westboro claim, they need to get it right!

Charles
Sure it is, just to an extreme that most don't go to. Fear of others, and the corresponding hatred of and intolerance is the message of religion, the question is really to what extreme they take it.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
If there is no God, where do morals come from?
They come from within the person, and I feel so sorry for the person that can't see that in themselves, for they do not know themselves, but are just an empty shell filled with the nonsense of a belief system based on fable, fairy tales, or urban legend. You must have some really sick thoughts that would lead you to such a conclusion.

Here is a little fact that those of your ilk just hate, especially when you come up with such levels of ignorant speak as your stance here. I'm not sure if it is just utter ignorance, or a learned hatred from someone with a book of fables in his hand.

75% of this country is christian. 75% of the prison population is christian
15% of this country is Atheist, yet only 0.2% of the prison population is christian.

These are stats from the bureau of prisons, and it clearly shows that your assumptions about morals are wrong, but prove that christians on average are less moral than those they accuse of having none.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 AM

694 posts, read 745,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes, and some people adamantly believe the opposite. People are entitled to their opinions. If you think that the people in the atheist/agnostic forum are so unreasonable - why do you keep coming into this forum?
For the record - I have no idea where everything came from and I kind of don't care. I'm never going to know one way or the other - so why get my panties in a bunch because of it.
I keep coming here because I like to discus things with people who disagree with me. But overall it doesn't have anything to do with religion either way, but with people generally are eccepting of thoughts that aren't theirs. I question my believe sometimes, trying to see it from the opposite views, but I always come up with the thought "everything I see can't explain everything".

Even science's own rules say it can't. What about the laws of motion. Without an outside source to start things off, everything would still be sitting still.

Charles

Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
I don't think that you are really listening to what we are saying at all. I don't think ANYONE has said "everything is OK, do whatever you want." I don't even know where you came up with that. You keep saying it. Just because you keep saying that we said it, it doesn't mean that we did.
Now that I understand you better, I understand that you come into these forums to cause a stir. You are being argumentative on purpose. That's fine. Now I know not to take you too seriously.
Of course our society needs to have rules, they just should NOT COME FROM THE BIBLE! There may be some things that the Bible says are wrong that are included into these rules - but NOT BECAUSE THEY CAME FROM THE BIBLE - but because they are morally wrong. Murder and stealing, for example, are morally wrong and should be outlawed in any civilized society. But there are things that the Bible says are wrong that should not be outlawed. For instance, we shouldn't stone disobedient children. We shouldn't sell our daughters into slavery. We shouldn't ban gay marraige. These are rules of Christianity, not of a civilized society. We are simply saying that rules should come from morality, not from the Bible. The two are not mutually exclusive. We have separation of church and state. That should not be violated.
I know this is going in one ear and out the other. I know you just don't get this. That's ok. Fight on, my brother.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 PM

694 posts, read 745,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is your right, under man's laws, but is it under the rules you say you follow from your deity, doesn't it have something about you all shouldn't judging others, cause he want to keep that all for himself?
Yes. Under God's law, I cannot hate anyone for any reason. I can dislike what they do or say but I cannot dislike them. We cannot hate our brother and Love God. Hating our brother is the same as hating God. As far as judging others goes, God reserves the right to judge everyone - even Christians - because only God can judge every action from the perspective of perfection.

Charles

Last edited by cpsTN; 06-05-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM

I was looking on the Christian forum yesterday (I was actually looking to see if a certain person was still on this forum somewhere) and I came across this thread about a woman who didn't know how to explain to her child why God made animals that hurt humans. The replies she got included telling her that all these things from the bible, that they have fear and there is no love in fear, that God used animals to punish people from time to time - but nobody suggested just explaining the nature of animals! Nobody suggested saying that animals don't mean to hurt people - they are just protecting themselves. Nobody suggested saying that animals aren't here to harm us. I was so appalled - and I wanted to add my 2 cents - but I restrained myself. I understand that some people need to have God in their life - but I don't understand having to teach or explain every single thing in terms of God. Couldn't you just say that, yes, God created animals, but they don't hurt us on purpose. Animals aren't bad! Couldn't you just say that?
I guess it baffles me that people can't just see things as they are sometimes - it ALL has to come back to God. It must make it hard to make sense of the world if it all has to fit into certain parameters outlined in this one book.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,470 times
I was reading that also. And thought Why not just tell the truth.
I don't know...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
This was just sent out by one of my FB friends. How many things can you find wrong here???

I think this is what the OP is talking about, eh?

"So, come on brothers and sisters, quit preaching to the choir and acting perfect in front of each other. Go out into the real world and preach the gospel in your schools, in your work, and in your vote. That’s what Jesus would do."

Ugh!
I'm Mad at Christians. (http://www.visiontoamerica.org/story/im-mad-at-christians.html - broken link)

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM

So, I was just browsing through the Christian threads again, don't ask me why, I don't know, but anyway - I decided they don't really scare me anymore. Yes, some of their beliefs are scary and backwards and prejudiced and just down right mean (not all of them, there are some truly wonderful sounding people on there as well) but it seems that they are even busier fighting each other than they are fighting with us. They are even trying to convert each other! Isn't that hysterical! They all have different opinions of what the Bible says - and they each think they are right and everyone else is wrong - even other Christians. And a lot of the Christians don't think that Catholics are even Christians. Anyway, I'm begining to see that I really have nothing to be scared about. I'm not trying to make fun of them but I do find it amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism