Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
But not a "Real" Christian.
Fine, fine.. Atheists hereby reject Pol Pot as a member of the unbeliever club too. End of argument.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here?
It scares me for two reasons:

1) They decry suicide bombers (Muslims) as being evil-doers Hell-bent on destroying Christianity, yet herald the presence of Christian Soldiers who gun down doctors who perform abortions. What really scares me as an American is that the more radical Christians do not realize that they are one and the same as any other lunatic on the planet, yet they feel that they are 'right' in every regard, and if you disagree with them then you are against them, evil, in bed with Satan, anti-American, and a host of other nonsense. They simply cannot comprehend that someone who does not believe in their god in the same manner that they do can possess the ability to be a good, loving, decent, human being.

2) It's an Us against Them mentality that breeds fear and distrust, and from that comes control. The more radical and/or hardcore Christians, the more they want to turn the US into a controlled state, and if history bears any evidence, it is clear that such an America would look frighteningly similar to Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia, or Islamic Rule Iran (amongst others). They would believe that such an America is right by God, and everything is peachy and eliminating evil-doers is okay by God, yet as pointed out above, they would lack the ability to understand that what they are doing is exactly the same thing that those (evil) people in other countries have done.

It also scares me that some very backwards people in Texas want to rewrite textbooks to fit their image of what America should be, and in some twisted way, was.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It also scares me that some very backwards people in Texas want to rewrite textbooks to fit their image of what America should be, and in some twisted way, was.
I believe they have succeed Proves the theory that one should never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
It doesn't scare me. It disgusts me because it's so weak-minded and intellectually lazy.

I generally have nothing to do with religious freaks. There's one on here who got all bent out of shape because I dared point out that not everyone is Christian so not everyone feels the world should shut down on Easter Sunday, and the jackarse started a personal war. This guy then took umbrage at things I said on other subforums that had nothing to do with it or him. (The one where he ran into me was originally not in the Christian subforum or I'd never have seen it because I don't bother with that tripe.) Eventually he involved a, ah, starry one, who apparently is also a religious freak and personal friend of his, who then abused her authority.

[mod] deleted [/mod]

Last edited by june 7th; 06-17-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It doesn't scare me. It disgusts me because it's so weak-minded and intellectually lazy.

I generally have nothing to do with religious freaks. There's one on here who got all bent out of shape because I dared point out that not everyone is Christian so not everyone feels the world should shut down on Easter Sunday, and the jackarse started a personal war. This guy then took umbrage at things I said on other subforums that had nothing to do with it or him. (The one where he ran into me was originally not in the Christian subforum or I'd never have seen it because I don't bother with that tripe.) Eventually he involved a, ah, starry one, who apparently is also a religious freak and personal friend of his, who then abused her authority.

Moderator cut: orphaned
Goodness Avienne

Last edited by june 7th; 06-17-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,155,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol I just realized the title of this thread probably makes you think at first glance its another condescending thread to atheists/agnostics by some religious person but I'm sure some of you have come to know me by now as being atheist by my regular posts:P

Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here? Maybe its relatively new to me because I never grew up with religion around me and my only exposure was to some other family members like going to a wedding in a Church or a communion but religion was never pushed on me.

There's quite a few religious posters on here who seem so blinded by their faith, its so easy to see why the Crusades happened, all the fighting in the current day Middle East, seeing how infamous religious fanatics like David Koresh and the Heavens gate group can occur.

I dunno...I'm just honestly freaked out a bit at times when I read some of these posts by religious people on here.
Most of the time:No.
I know that most people talk good game but are weak when comes time to suit up.
I think that most fanaticism is based on people being insecure and uncertain and trying to reinforce their own questionable beliefs.

Having said that,I'm leery of religious fanatics that seem to be or are,mentally ill.
The combination of mental illness and religious fervor make,IMHO, them particularly dangerous.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
But not a "Real" Christian.
I know christians don’t like to claim Hitler as a budding and proud member of the catholic church, nor do we hear how Pol Pot was educated in Catholic Schools, or Stalin educated in the Seminary in Tiflis. The common thread in their lives was a christian or catholic education. Even if you don't call them christian it not hard to see who taught them the art of killing.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I'm an agnostic of a sort I guess. I'm more - non-religious, semi-spiritual, believe that there's -something- more than just people living on this planet, something that inspired the universe to exist. Is it god? Dunno. Maybe. I don't really care if it is or not. I don't seek answers. And in the same vein, I don't seek out opposing opinions either. I don't frequent the other topics in the religious category of this forum, though I have poked in just to take a look a few times. I don't really even come to this category much.

It doesn't scare or surprise me that people have some pretty far-fetched beliefs. It's only when they act on them that I am alerted. Terrorists, fanaticism, burning witches at the stake, casting people out of communities just because they don't believe the same thing...beating people up, killing, scorning - it's the actions that disturb me. The beliefs themselves are benign. I know people who believe they are starseeds from another planet sent here as a messenger of god to spread the word of love. They really and truly believe this. As long as they don't start stuffing my mailbox with flyers or stand in my way and demand I let them prostheletyze while I'm on my way to work, they're welcome to believe whatever they like. And I will feel free to think they're a bunch of loonies who will hopefully find themselves a nice psychiatrist before they hurt themselves.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
well said Avienne!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I know christians don’t like to claim Hitler as a budding and proud member of the catholic church, nor do we hear how Pol Pot was educated in Catholic Schools, or Stalin educated in the Seminary in Tiflis. The common thread in their lives was a christian or catholic education. Even if you don't call them christian it not hard to see who taught them the art of killing.
I can't honestly believe that it was exposure to theism that taught them the art of rutlessly disposing of their opponents. I blame evolution, personally...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism