Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM

694 posts, read 745,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You are trying to turn this into a political thread, which isn't the topic. Bush DID say god told him to go to war, he even called it a crusade until his handlers took him to a back room and told him never to use that term again, that is the topic, that is the problem, a man with the power a president has acting his belief he was instructed by god to do.

Now did he hear voices in his head, maybe, but if he did, it was his mental illness, not any god. But of course he said it was god, and that MUST not be questioned by the faithful, and here we are still bogged down in them, hated by another religious ilk due to this.

I hear the term "blind faith" and that is about as good a description of believing in something with absolutely no evidence, and mounting evidence to disprove the beliefs.

But that should not mean total blindness to all of the manipulations of religion by corrupt and stupid people solely as a tool to manipulate the "blind faith" group. We saw it with Bush, the completely blind just tagged along like the lost sheep they are, and are now bleating their support for the next idiot that wears their religion on their sleeve, the twit from Wallisa.
People will find more evidence to disprove God - notice the big G - if that is what you are looking for. The reverse it true also, and for everything. I got up one morning and saw a small spider near the front door and started noticings spiders everywhere all day.

As far as the other religions hating us, I assume you mean Islam. They hate us because we don't believe as they do - not because we do this or that. We could do everything they ask of us, but not believe in their god, and they (the ones who do) would still hate us.

I have no problem with people who do not believe in God, but apparently many of them have a problem with me. I think it is rather funny.
Charles

Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Default Atheists/Agnostics...does it scare you that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol I just realized the title of this thread probably makes you think at first glance its another condescending thread to atheists/agnostics by some religious person but I'm sure some of you have come to know me by now as being atheist by my regular posts:P

Anyhow I was wondering if it scared any of you on here that regularly read through the forums here specifically the religious ones on how fanatical some of the religious folk are on here? Maybe its relatively new to me because I never grew up with religion around me and my only exposure was to some other family members like going to a wedding in a Church or a communion but religion was never pushed on me.

There's quite a few religious posters on here who seem so blinded by their faith, its so easy to see why the Crusades happened, all the fighting in the current day Middle East, seeing how infamous religious fanatics like David Koresh and the Heavens gate group can occur.

I dunno...I'm just honestly freaked out a bit at times when I read some of these posts by religious people on here.
I'm not concerned over any one else's lack of rationality. It's their self-delusion, not mine.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I don's see how atheist live with purpose. Without a set of rules and why and why nots, why not just kill people, for example? If there is no reason or "end goal" to living, what difference does it make what we do?

Charles
Each atheist has his/her own purpose and goals in life, it isn't dictated by writers who lived in a completely different era 2000+ years ago. I don't see how people can base their entire lives around a collection of vague bronze age literature. Let me ask you, would you rather live in a world where each person decides what goals and purpose their lives have, or one where it is decided for them? What if God spoke to you and said he wants you to be a carpenter, despite you preferring being a teacher?

And if you can't see why God isn't necessary to live a moral/ethical life, then you desperately need to immerse yourself in the study of ethics, pronto. Many ethicists, even religious ones, do not dictate that you should behave appropriately because of fear of eternal damnation. There are so many views and philosophers on this topic that to explain one position to you is almost unfair. But if you want a real shallow and easy to understand answer: because if we killed people, we'd probably be caught and spend the rest of our lives in prison. Not to mention the fact that there is never really any reason for a logical, rational person to kill anyone except in dire self defense. Even by asking such a silly question implies that if you weren't a Christian you would be going around killing people, is that right? If you answer that no of course you wouldn't, then maybe you will understand better.

Honestly, I am suprised something like that needs to be explained and the whole "how can you have any morals without religion?!" argument is among the most tired, weak arguments theists have. I'd get some better material if you think you are going to come into the atheist/agnostic forum with that kind of argument.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
So, in answer to the poster's original question - yes, these people scare the crap out of me. They also really annoy me! Case in point - cpsTN!
Just 2 quick things - not being pro-life means you are most likely pro-choice, not pro-abortion. I don't think anyone is pro-abortion. I don't hear anyone going around saying all pregnant women should get an abortion! Hahahaha! I always think it's funny when people say pro-abortion, not very accurate.
Secondly, I actually go around killing people all the time. I also rape, pillage, lie, cheat, and commit adultery all the time because I don't know whether God exists or not. Basically, the only thing that keeps people from doing these things is a belief in God and an afterlife. Since I don't believe these things, I obviously go around doing lots of horrible things because I enjoy it. Isn't killing people fun?
Please, give me a break. Belief in God does not equal a moral compass, and vice versa.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:

I don's see how atheist live with purpose. Without a set of rules and why and why nots, why not just kill people, for example? If there is no reason or "end goal" to living, what difference does it make what we do?

Charles
You as a solo being don't have any "rules" about how to treat anyone, and thus you rely solely on the fictional Moderator cut: deleted

Thus you are saying that without the learning of the [mod] deleted [/miod], you would be a mass murder, no doubt about it in your mind? You would not be able to love your mate, your children, you couldn't appreciate a good meal, or a beautiful sunset, without a head full of the nonsense of religion?

Moderator cut: deleted ... but you shoot for the end of life, and the ultimate disappointment in the end, I choose to live in there here and now, and to not let the crap of religion make me look like the stupidest being on the planet, I leave that to those without the vision, or the courage to think and to only believe that Moderator cut: deleted that fills your head.

And ain't all brain washed religious types always saying that you don't have the privilege of judging your fellow man, that is solely up to your imaginary Moderator cut: deleted . Your are a hypocrite also! Follow you own rules dude, you are failing.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-17-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, in answer to the poster's original question - yes, these people scare the crap out of me. They also really annoy me! Case in point - cpsTN!
Ain't that the truth, he has proven himself to be one whose deranged thinkers to be feared. Some might categorize his statement as the spewing of unmeasurable stupidity, but it's not his fault, it is the brain washing from an early age with the hatred and intolerance, and a health dose of lies that religion teaches. These people really need pity, and some deprogramming from their cult following mentality.

But,Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

He also brings up another quote

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Robert A. Heinlein but I doubt the Mr. Heinlein ever met he.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,234 times
Don't know if this scary, but it sure is despicable that a child is compelled to think like this:

Raised to Hate: Kids of Westboro Baptist Church - ABC News

Watch this video too. Very telling.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/nate...ry?id=10555603

Thankfully there's only about 100 people in this group of misguided folks.

Last edited by axemanjoe; 06-04-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Don't know if this scary, but it sure is despicable that a child is compelled to think like this:

Raised to Hate: Kids of Westboro Baptist Church - ABC News

Watch this video too. Very telling.

Nate Phelps Westboro Church Exclusive - ABC News

Thankfully there's only about 100 people in this group of misguided folks.
There are some sick sorry SOB's in this world and fundamentalist religious folk can be just as bad as the worst of them. Any religious person who would endorse this type of behavior or be involved in any way in this type of behavior needs the men in the little white coats to take them away for a nice long stay at the asylum.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 PM

694 posts, read 745,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
There are some sick sorry SOB's in this world and fundamentalist religious folk can be just as bad as the worst of them. Any religious person who would endorse this type of behavior or be involved in any way in this type of behavior needs the men in the little white coats to take them away for a nice long stay at the asylum.
I have no choice but to believe that. What these people are teaching IS NOT what the Word of God says. I am not one to say the eveyone has to go by the Word of God, or even agree on what IS the Word of God - this is freely up to each person - but if you are claiming to teach the Word of God, as the people at Westboro claim, they need to get it right!

Charles

Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,223 times
Quote:
I have no choice but to believe that. What these people are teaching IS NOT what the Word of God says. I am not one to say the eveyone has to go by the Word of God, or even agree on what IS the Word of God - this is freely up to each person - but if you are claiming to teach the Word of God, as the people at Westboro claim, they need to get it right!

Charles
And they aren't even close to let alone in the ball park on that one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism