Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
If you could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there was no god, would you?

I think I would to some, but not all, and certainly not the whole world!
I don't know, for me I know what I believe so I am happy the way I am. I don't know if I would want to destabilize so many people, turn their lives upside down. I honestly beleive there are people out there who wouldn't be able to cope with the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
Good point Roaminred, Let them keep believing while we have our very own Suuper Dooper Seekrit meetings...LOL
I don't care either way, I'm not here to convince anyone of what works for me and I expect the same in return. Discussing is one thing and that's all this is, just talking about things.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
If you could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there was no god, would you?
if that could be proven, which it can't because it's a false premise to begin with, it would have already happened!

on the other hand there is a wide rich diverse alive body of work that crosses time, culture, civilizations, and covers the globe, of teachings, writings, holy texts, art, scholarly tradition, inspirational poetry, sacred texts that all speak to, elaborate on, address, describe, and transmit to readers, viewers, anyone who interacts with them, the experience of the divine.

There has never been a culture anywhere at any time in any part of the world that has NOT had an active, thriving spiritual body of work.

hmmm....that sort of says something right there! Put them in a balance scale like those seen outside our courts of law.....which tray has more in it and tips the scales?

Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
if that could be proven, which it can't because it's a false premise to begin with, it would have already happened!

on the other hand there is a wide rich diverse alive body of work that crosses time, culture, civilizations, and covers the globe, of teachings, writings, holy texts, art, scholarly tradition, inspirational poetry, sacred texts that all speak to, elaborate on, address, describe, and transmit to readers, viewers, anyone who interacts with them, the experience of the divine.

There has never been a culture anywhere at any time in any part of the world that has NOT had an active, thriving spiritual body of work.

hmmm....that sort of says something right there! Put them in a balance scale like those seen outside our courts of law.....which tray has more in it and tips the scales?
We all have already acknowledged that proving a negative is essentially impossible, but then you go on to say that if we could prove that God doesn't exist, we'd of done it already!? Wow, terribly faulty logic. What we do not have already, we will never have?

If the simple act of believing in something made it true, where are all our ancient Gods now? Do you still think that the "White race" is superior? Does the sun orbit around the Earth?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
If the simple act of believing in something made it true, where are all our ancient Gods now?
they are one and the same! Divinity is eternal, continually and constantly expressed. Just as humans are all the same regardless of how we look, talk, dress, or where we live.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
they are one and the same! Divinity is eternal, continually and constantly expressed. Just as humans are all the same regardless of how we look, talk, dress, or where we live.
I pretty much believe that too. I believe God is just...God. And we dress it in our accepted style du jour (God is a blue woman with a lot of arms; God is a man in a white robe; God is a bunch of gods and goddesses; God has a dog's head or is enormous or invisible or the wind; etc.). But, you know...it's all pretty much the same...thing.

And AGAIN I can't rep ya, DimSum. What the heck? You must have a lot of fans on here!!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I pretty much believe that too. I believe God is just...God. And we dress it in our accepted style du jour (God is a blue woman with a lot of arms; God is a man in a white robe; God is a bunch of gods and goddesses; God has a dog's head or is enormous or invisible or the wind; etc.). But, you know...it's all pretty much the same...thing.

And AGAIN I can't rep ya, DimSum. What the heck? You must have a lot of fans on here!!
JerZ your descriptions of the various 'gods through the ages' is great.

And thanks for the post too, yeah Dieter sends me flowers every week, it's getting out of hand!!! LOL

Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
JerZ your descriptions of the various 'gods through the ages' is great.

And thanks for the post too, yeah Dieter sends me flowers every week, it's getting out of hand!!! LOL
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
I would let the world see the proof. I see religion as being a negative on civilization. It is the method of control used by tyrants through out our history and I hope to live long enough to see it fade into history.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 PM

24 posts, read 171,731 times
Quote:

I think I would to some, but not all, and certainly not the whole world!
OF course not the whole wold... since the whole world doesn't believe in god. I don't mean the faiths that have a different view but origiated in same place =Chrtistians. Jews and Muslims. I mean the Buddhist, Shinto, and Taoist to name a few. They won't care if someone came up with proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism