Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times

Advertisements

I have one sister who is deeply religious and she's been through some difficult times in her life. In all honestly I think if she suddenly realized there was no God she'd commit suicide so I would just as soon let her continue to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
It's a tough question...my instinct tells me I would prove it if I could...but it would definitely cause chaos, which might be worse than the belief in God. People throwing themselves off bridges and such
What is this chaos that people always talk about that would magically appear if it were definitively proved there were no god. If there would be so much chaos without god then where are all these atheists that go around committing all sorts of amoral abominations because they have no fear of punishment

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM

243 posts, read 86,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think you could ever prove that God did not exist but allowing for that concept being a possibility, yes of course the truth should be taught and spread. I know it would hurt a lot of people so one would have to be respectful about it and I would hope that the void left behind in some people's lives could be filled with a positive alternative.

If someone could prove to me there was a God I would be more than happy to accept it, and raise my hands in the air saying "mea culpa", admitting I had been wrong.

The truth is the truth. The truth can in the short term hurt and sociologically it would certainly upset a few apple-carts but surely no-one should be left in the dark simply because it will cause people to re-assess and revaluate their whole belief systems and the way they live.

I think the repercussions in the long term could be severely negative but we owe it to our great shared humanity to be intellectually honest.

No society should ever based on a philosophical lie. That is just not healthy.

We have this amazing power of reason and thought and are not little porcelain dolls to be shielded from the truth simply because it might be a tad uncomfortable or embarrassing.
I agree with your post.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
I think the majority of us can learn from mistakes. If it were proven there was no god I am sure after the religious got over being duped for thousands of years they would become a wiser and a less gullible group. The jolt in the long run would be good and make society stronger and less susceptible to frauds in the future.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What is this chaos that people always talk about that would magically appear if it were definitively proved there were no god. If there would be so much chaos without god then where are all these atheists that go around committing all sorts of amoral abominations because they have no fear of punishment
there is a theory that people only behave because they believe they will be punished in the afterlife if they don't. not sure how much that would change, but who knows.

additionally, for the uber-religious, if your entire life is built on this premise, and your told its all a lie, who knows what they may do?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
If you could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there was no god, would you?

I think I would to some, but not all, and certainly not the whole world!
Yes I would.

See that we are all the same..human. And hopefully put to an end this nonsense of killing over "who has the better god" or "my god told me to strike at them"

Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
no i would not. but that would be a hard one. ok, i belong to a religion that worships truth as a god, so if i could pursue a path of "truth" that proves that there is no such thing as "truth" would that in fact be the "truth".
that is a tough one. i think i will have to ask 2 real good friends who are agnostic bout that one tomarrow.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think the majority of us can learn from mistakes. If it were proven there was no god I am sure after the religious got over being duped for thousands of years they would become a wiser and a less gullible group. The jolt in the long run would be good and make society stronger and less susceptible to frauds in the future.
I disagree that proving god to the religious is likely or even possible regardless of how much evidence exists....They will simply carry on living in denial, the way they do now in regards to evolution and the age of the universe in spite of all the evidence by science. They will stay in their box to avoid their overpowering fear of death. In my opinion that is the single reason for belief...The fear of death.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post

I believe that many Christians would be rocked to their very cores if they were shown that they've believed a lie. That's what I meant by "chaos". You would find a lot of suicides happening, I think...

But, as Sanspeur said, many would refuse to accept even that. They need that faith to keep them centered. I am not a Christian but I don't go around commiting atrocities because I live by my conscience and, maybe, the law of Karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism