Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Same-sex marriage is completely legalized in Maryland and Washington, D.C. So, in my area it's no longer a legal issue.

Of course, it's still illegal in most of the U.S. Most probably, there's going to be a Supreme Court ruling legalizing it everywhere.
and rightfully so. I'm gay. Why should I not have any rights? It's ridiculous. Because of what...the bible? lol.

no person...average citizen or politician, should be able to tell me what i can or cannot do.

How is it REALLY affecting you? Are your taxes going to increase if I'm allowed to have hospital visits?

Are you not going to be able to sleep at night because I love someone of the same sex and I want equal opportunity tax breaks like straight people get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
no person...average citizen or politician, should be able to tell me what i can or cannot do.
Sorry, that is not how it works. In any society, your behavior is restricted.

If you don't like the rules of the society you live in, then either work to change those rules or move to a different society.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,947,596 times
Back on topic:

Little Green Footballs - Gallup Poll: 58% of Republicans Are Young Earth Creationists

It seems to me that if you're a bible-believer, you're more likely to be a Republican. Atheism seems to be more or a liberal point of view.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
i dont really think my athiesm has influenced my political beliefs all that much tbh

i also dont see why one cannot be athiest and conservative

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,947,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i dont really think my athiesm has influenced my political beliefs all that much tbh

i also dont see why one cannot be athiest and conservative
Sure, it's certainly possible, especially with regards to fiscal policy, but many of the core beliefs on conservatism are rooted in religion. Almost all the big social issues in the Republican platform are. There are definite inconsistencies between Atheism and conservative Republicans.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Sure, it's certainly possible, especially with regards to fiscal policy, but many of the core beliefs on conservatism are rooted in religion. Almost all the big social issues in the Republican platform are. There are definite inconsistencies between Atheism and conservative Republicans.

I would say that's true since the Bush 1 era and why many former Republicans (such as myself) have either turned to Libertarianism or become Independents. The Republican Party wasn't always like it is now with the high influence of the Religious Right. Fiscally speaking, for people such as myself, the Democratic Party is simply not an option.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:

How does a conservative Atheist reconcile these seemingly inconsistent values?
What does believing or not believing in god have to do with your political leanings?
It's completely irrelevant.
This is as illogical as saying that if you're gay, you should be liberal. It's two things that have NOTHING to do with each other.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Quote:
I see fellow Atheists here (like RebelYell) who also post on the politics forum. RebelYell is quite obviously a staunch conservative. I consider myself a pretty left-wing liberal (socially speaking anyway... I do have some conservative views when it comes to fiscal policy). Yet we both share a rejection of god.

I know Atheists come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds and values, but doesn't it make sense that if you have conservative values, you are accepting of conservative philosophy which is often rooted in the bible? When it comes to gay rights, reproductive rights, blue laws, creationism being taught in schools, etc., it would seem to me that an Atheist would likely fall on the side of "liberal" since those who argue the right-wing perspective on those issues are primarily supported by "god's teachings" and not common sense or rational thought.

For me, my non-belief is often reinforced by my liberal views (and vice-serva) along with my strong political disagreements with the "religious right."

How does a conservative Atheist reconcile these seemingly inconsistent values?
Losing my religion helped me get rid of any opposition to gay marriage or abortion. I'm more of a "libertarian" politically but becoming an atheist has liberalized my general world view. I'm much more of a "live and let live" kind of guy.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What does believing or not believing in god have to do with your political leanings?
It's completely irrelevant.
This is as illogical as saying that if you're gay, you should be liberal. It's two things that have NOTHING to do with each other.
It's perfectly reasonable for an atheist to be a fiscal conservative. However, I simply can't understand those who support the bible-thumping of the overtly anti-women and anti-gay Republican party, especially after the tea party takeover. I don't see how social conservatism and atheism reconcile, and it seems to me that if fiscal issues were your concern you should support the Libertarian party and not support the Republican effort to kill the First Amendment.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
However, I simply can't understand those who support the bible-thumping of the overtly anti-women and anti-gay Republican party, especially after the tea party takeover.
There is no need for you to understand them. No one cares what you do and do not understand.

The Republican party has a lot of followers, which is why they control the House of Representatives. Accept that fact and deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism