Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,362,651 times

Advertisements

I saw a post on the far side and had to go read it. The issue related to a man’s spouse who was not going to church. It seemed his spouse would always make an excuse to avoid going, but the husband still asked or pushed the issue in an easy way for several years. She always had an excuse and avoid going.
I at first had to wonder what point a person would recognize his spouse has an issue with the church, religion, or people of the organization he was pushing. I think to avoid the subject for years would tell me both had a problem communicating, and regardless of years together they needed to learn some basics facts about each other.

Their thread made me think what I would do if I had a spouse pushing me go to church. In the case of my wife and I the issue was known long before we got married. I respect her deist values she respect my non-religious values. When she wants to go to a church or temple it OK and if I am asked it is just to let me know I am invited it not a push, just acknowledgment if a freedom of choice.

My question is do any on our side of the religious divide have this issue and if so how are you dealing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,486,047 times
Well, my wife & I are going through a divorce, but still seeing each other (long story). She believes there is something bigger than us humans, but she don't really believe it's a "god."
She don't know what it is but she is pretty sure there is something more to all of this. She knows I don't believe in any of it. Until I see it or experience something greater I will continue to be a non-believer. I think that bothers her a little. We don't really talk much about it. It don't bother me if others believe but it does tend to bother others that I don't.
This is a good question, I would talk to her more about it but I never impose my disbelief on anyone.

I think it is wrong for a spouse to ever question or try to force the other to go to church, that's something a mother would do to their young child. It's very childish, but then again so is religion.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,640,149 times
My parents were at odds regarding religion and my Mother was very active in church activities while my Father was never a believer. I can see how this could become a major problem. Eventually they divorced and my Mother married a man from her church and after a few years my Father married a woman who was also very skeptical of religious teachings. This is such a basic issue about the nature of our lives that I can understand how two people who might love each other could drift apart because they have opposing views.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,996,644 times
My folks, on the other hand, were able to work out my momma's Christianity and desire for us kids to go to church with daddy's atheism and no desire to attend. Their marriage made it to almost 49 years, and ended only upon her death.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
As a lifelong atheist, I have never dated a deist, and would never consider doing so. I consider it a major deal breaker, along with habits like cigarette smoking and excessive drinking. And I don't think that my current boyfriend would have considered dating me had I been a deist. We both just don't believe in a god that much that we couldn't have a relationship with a deist. I don't care if my friends are deists but they don't get my total respect either.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,026,500 times
I was married at a very tender age (20) and so "in love" that all I wanted was for my husband to approve of me and adore me, etc. He was from a strict Luthern family (Missouri Synod) and so I began attending church with him, even was baptized, taught Sunday School, attended bible studies, etc etc etc. 17 years later he decided he wanted someone younger than me so off he went (with my blessings). I guess the church did not matter that much to him.

That was then and this is now. I would never attend church or accept someone else's religion now...but I am 42 years older now and much wiser and have a lot more self-esteem and self-worth than I did back then. I now know that my beliefs are my own and have worth and that I do not need to pretend a faith to please someone else. So...the answer to the original OP is that "I would never go to church or take part in a religion or belief that I did not hold true myself." But I once did.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,362,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As a lifelong atheist, I have never dated a deist, and would never consider doing so. I consider it a major deal breaker, along with habits like cigarette smoking and excessive drinking. And I don't think that my current boyfriend would have considered dating me had I been a deist. We both just don't believe in a god that much that we couldn't have a relationship with a deist. I don't care if my friends are deists but they don't get my total respect either.
I must be lucky. I found my wife in college, and as most college students we both had anti-religious views. She was a deist and seems to go with the flow where religion was concerned. Mine view was agnostic, but soon fell into atheist and now into the strong atheist category. We understood the issue (religion) we both did not really value should not than or now affect how our lives should be spent. We grew together, our views changed and our values blended to form a better family core than if we just accepted one view. If I had been so short sighted as to avoid a relationship with my Deist wife I would be much less of a person today, and I am sure not as happy as I am now.
Over 35 years later she is still a deist with a strong leaning toward agnostic. She shares my view on religious organizations, but still hopes there is something more which we just can’t see. In all the years we have been together she has never pushes me to go to church, but may go herself with friends for special days or events. She has invited me a few times and than just smile when I go into my normal speech on organized religion. We both have lines and we know where and when not to cross those lines, but we also have had in-depth discussions on religion. This is part of the basic respect you learn in marriage. In my situation the Deist and Atheist match works, and I personally think it is a winning match for any relationship.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,272,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I must be lucky.
From your little story, yes, you are.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,881,092 times
My wife believes but does not believe in churches, from time to time she puts on some tv evangelist on sunday morning but does not sit down to watch or listen, uses the show kinda like background noise, to her credit, she normally choses guys who are really easy to ignore, you know the type, read out of the bible then tell you "what god is trying to tell us here is...." and goes off on a tangent with a half-baked interpretation. If I change the channel she does not mind. Sometimes I listen just to remind myself why I don't believe this stuff.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,467,443 times
I grew up being dragged to church, no way would I risk marrying someone who didn't completely and fully understand how I felt about it. I will not listen to anymore nagging, I do not attend church, period, full stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism