Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times

Advertisements

It has only affected my political views insofar as I will not vote for a candidate that makes religion a key part of their message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
I am an Atheist in favor of gay marriage, abortion rights, and against creationism being taught in the schools. However, these issues are not important to me.

I am very against the huge increases in government spending and the government trying to control every facet of our lives. I am very against racial preferences and affirmative action. I am very against illegal immigration.

On these issues, I am very much a Republican. I voted for a Democrat once in 1980 and it was the biggest mistake of my life. It will not happen again.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
My atheism has affected my political views, but not drastically. I gradually shifted from a very conservative Christians to a fairly liberal atheist, but my political views shifted before my religious views. And I can't even remember exactly how or when they shifted, but I think it began when I realized that I really don't care who marries whom. I was still very much conservative at the time, and I shared an office with a man who listened to conservative talk radio all day. Same-sex marriage had recently become an even hotter topic than usual, and all the callers and hosts were going on and on about how wrong it was. And for whatever reason, while listening to all of that I recall thinking, "Man, I don't really see why it's that big a deal." After that I just gradually became more liberal, and eventually began to question my religion, as well. And we know how that turned out.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Default Pop Pop, Fizz Fizz... Oh what a relief it is...

I' m going to go wayyy out on a limb and make the obvious claim [for which, obviously, there are always exceptions!] that, more or less, one's logically-based atheism might well have literally nothing to do with their politics, but rather on their coming into some level of critical thinking ability, coupled with the apparently so very rare ability to be openly able to convert one's opinions in light of overwhelming evidence.

Yes I know; we're obviously creatures of highly inertial thinking, but the atheists amongst us seem to have been blessed () with the innate ability to allow ourselves an objective perspective, absent the unforgiving stubbornness seemingly inherent in a strictly intransigent and pre-determined religious or otherwise staunchly stubborn political outlook, even in the presence of overwhelming facts to the contrary.

In other words, a functioning "Just the facts, Ma'am" perspective can be enough to create or convert to atheism. No particular policial or religious agenda is necessarily attached, just a good old fashioned working IQ coupled with a lack of intellectual constipation.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
I'm a Left Libertarian and an atheist. Seeing as I don't vote for any Democrats or Republicans, there's not much for me to consider on election day. If there was a Libertarian candidate (not a Ron Paul type) who talked about religion too much, I wouldn't even consider voting for them. I look at religion as being authoritative, it restricts thinking and behavior. Anything that restricts thinking and behavior is anti-Libertarian. So, I've never understood how someone could be a pious christian and a Libertarian at the same time.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm a Left Libertarian and an atheist. Seeing as I don't vote for any Democrats or Republicans, there's not much for me to consider on election day. If there was a Libertarian candidate (not a Ron Paul type) who talked about religion too much, I wouldn't even consider voting for them. I look at religion as being authoritative, it restricts thinking and behavior. Anything that restricts thinking and behavior is anti-Libertarian. So, I've never understood how someone could be a pious christian and a Libertarian at the same time.
Some of us that aren't involved/affiliated with any particular religious denomination and keep their faith to themselves/let their actions do the talking are pretty open minded. Some of our founding fathers where Christians. Some weren't. But they all agreed that freedom beats the alternative.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I' m going to go wayyy out on a limb and make the obvious claim [for which, obviously, there are always exceptions!] that, more or less, one's logically-based atheism might well have literally nothing to do with their politics, but rather on their coming into some level of critical thinking ability, coupled with the apparently so very rare ability to be openly able to convert one's opinions in light of overwhelming evidence.
Well spoken.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am an Atheist in favor of gay marriage...However, these issues are not important to me.
Maybe it would be more important to you if you were the one who didn't have their civil rights.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Maybe it would be more important to you if you were the one who didn't have their civil rights.
Yep, you are right. We always care about things that affect us the most.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Same-sex marriage is completely legalized in Maryland and Washington, D.C. So, in my area it's no longer a legal issue.

Of course, it's still illegal in most of the U.S. Most probably, there's going to be a Supreme Court ruling legalizing it everywhere.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-20-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism