Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 AM

50,166 posts, read 21,114,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I had the worldview of an atheist, I lived my life as an atheistic Secular Humanist , I made choices based on atheistic man-made relativistic morals, I didnt believe in the afterlife, I persecuted Christians, mocked God, and matched the results of this 2006 University of Minnesota independent study on Atheists :

'A 2006 study by researchers at the University of
Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in
the United States found atheists to be the most
distrusted of minorities, more so than Muslims,
recent immigrants, gays and lesbians, and other
groups. Many of the respondents associated
atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour'.

What else would i have had to do in order to be a real Atheist, at the time , in your estimation ? Is it mandatory to stay an Atheist for life in order to have been a bonified one of 10 years ?
I have also observed that during your time as an atheist you don't seem to have learned much about it.

Your post explains the view I have about most atheists - they don't think about it. They are simply not interested. Because they don't, they have not thought about the sort of thing we talk over on the boards and have not seen the stock arguments and evangelical packages of theism refuted. Because they have not, they are easy meat for the well - crafted evangelical packages.

Even atheists who have thought about it can be tricked at least into half - believing 'agnosticism' as it is is called. This is why we need to be here arguing, why we need New Atheist aggressiveness and why we need even better and more effective refutations.

"Is it mandatory to stay an Atheist for life in order to have been a bonified one of 10 years?" No more than a Christian has to remain one in order to have been a Real one. But it seems that one has to be a 'thinking atheist' (TM) to avoid being brainwashed as you claim to have been.

I thank you for a post that answers, better than I could, the oft - asked question 'If you don't believe in God - why do you spend so much time talking about it?'

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-27-2011 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM

50,166 posts, read 21,114,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
In my dealings with atheists, they are the most closed minded people I have ever dealt with! YOU are wrong to believe and THEY are right, no matter what. I, at least would listen to them and think about what they had to say but they wouldn't even listen to me! They were just so hell bent on "proving" me wrong on a subject that CAN NOT be proven right or wrong! It all boils down to FAITH! I don't say or want to "PROVE" them wrong but they sure as heck want to prove me wrong to believe! Why is that? I don't care what you believe. You shouldn't care about me either!
Dear dear.

I should love to exchange a few posts with you on the subject of reasons to believe in a religion and see whose mind is really closed.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Dear dear.

I should love to exchange a few posts with you on the subject of reasons to believe in a religion and see whose mind is really closed.

LOL, not gonna happen, my dear. I don't care whether you believe in GOD or not. Unlike atheists, I am not hell bent on trying to convince everyone there is no GOD, nor do I want to convert you to my way of thinking. We will all find out the truth some day.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM

33,649 posts, read 37,422,026 times
Quote:
LOL, not gonna happen, my dear. I don't care whether you believe in GOD or not. Unlike atheists, I am not hell bent on trying to convince everyone there is no GOD, nor do I want to convert you to my way of thinking. We will all find out the truth some day.
Actually we won't find the truth one day if I'm right in assuming that the "one day" you are talking about is the day we die...

Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,804,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
What atheist ideology? The only think atheists have in common is no god-belief. You don't believe in Zeus, correct? We just believe in one less god than you do.

You certainly will not see me at an anti-abortion rally as I don't believe that anyone has the right to get between a woman and her doctor in making this kind of decision. Just because *you* don't see them, does not mean they are not doing a lot that you don't know about. Also, if you live in the bible belt, they may be less in evidence because it can be dangerous to be out as an atheist here.

Most of the atheists I met who volunteer don't make a big deal of being an atheist when they are volunteering. You have probably met some, but don't know it unless you are volunteering through a strictly religious organization.

I have volunteered at our local soup kitchen and taken my dd's girl scout troop (it was a very diverse troop with kids who were Hindus, Jews, Christians, Muslims and atheists) to do so when I lived in Chicago. I tutored and had my dd's gs troop tutor kids in a high poverty neighborhood (also in Chicago). Now that I am in Houston, I volunteer at the local food pantry, visit the local nursing home, etc. Many of us worked in New Orleans rebuilding after Katrina (I lived in the New Orleans area, but not in the area that was hardest hit, so I helped a lot of others with cleaning up). Many of us teach our kids to volunteer right from the start.

In Austin, there is a large organization helping the homeless.

Atheists Helping the Homeless

Here are some other atheist volunteers.

Atheists Doing Volunteer Work | Friendly Atheist

Volunteers Beyond Belief | Foundation Beyond Belief
1. I believe in Zeus as Mythology. Even atheists have 'a god' of sorts....if not the Creator of the Universe, then someone or something else. We ALL have something we surrender to in our lives in various forms.

2. Im in the Bible Belt and it is not 'dangerous' to be out as an atheist here ; Ive not read of or heard one account of an atheist getting harmed by another due to his/her atheist faith. In fact, the churches in my locale encourage them to come for a visit , put on potluck dinners , and to engage in dialogue if they so wish. Atheists here are seen a people whom God loves too and thus, have intrinsic worth .

3. Ive engaged in para-church ministries as well as others, but have not met an atheist . Agnostic seekers, yes.

4. Glad to hear you give of your time and energy to help out less fortunate people. Im not saying its impossible for atheists to do so, just that it seems to be a rarity by and large.

5. Those sites you listed would seem to be hypocritical in thier endeavors especially for atheists who hold fast to the utter purposeless, hopelessness that real atheism brings by way of its worldview . How do atheists reconcile helping the less fortunate in society (the less fittest) as well as mankind not having a shred of intrinsic worth or dignity due to coming ultimately from accidental raw materials and chemicals ? Could it be deep down inside, they dont really ascribe to the deeper darker reality of true atheism (?) Whats your thoughts on this ?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have also observed that during your time as an atheist you don't seem to have learned much about it.

Your post explains the view I have about most atheists - they don't think about it. They are simply not interested. Because they don't, they have not thought about the sort of thing we talk over on the boards and have not seen the stock arguments and evangelical packages of theism refuted. Because they have not, they are easy meat for the well - crafted evangelical packages.

Even atheists who have thought about it can be tricked at least into half - believing 'agnosticism' as it is is called. This is why we need to be here arguing, why we need New Atheist aggressiveness and why we need even better and more effective refutations.

"Is it mandatory to stay an Atheist for life in order to have been a bonified one of 10 years?" No more than a Christian has to remain one in order to have been a Real one. But it seems that one has to be a 'thinking atheist' (TM) to avoid being brainwashed as you claim to have been.

I thank you for a post that answers, better than I could, the oft - asked question 'If you don't believe in God - why do you spend so much time talking about it?'
I have no doubt the ardent atheist talks about God with other like minded people although in a dishonoring way , and, that they give thought to this biggest of all issues when alone including the end of their life and if they were wrong.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
INDEED, we will . There can be no greater issue to ponder .

Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,232,835 times
Quote:
Are Atheists and Theists Morally Equivalent?

Ive never met an atheist at any humanitarian outreach, nursing home visitation, soup kitchen, or peaceful anti abortion rally --- it seems it wouldnt go along with atheist ideology that Man is on the same level of worth and dignity as a totally unpurposed accidental one celled pond protozoa --- the proverbial great ancestor atheism would have us believe we derived from . Please dont blame me...im just the Messenger of pop-atheistic ideology.
Wow! You knew the religion of every participant who volunteered at such charities? I wonder how anyone knew my religion (or lack thereof) at any of the events that I volunteered at, since I never brought it up. I guess they "ass"umed that I was a believer......

Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,232,835 times
Quote:
1. I know...its difficult to surrender ; was for me. Pride has such a tight lasso around our Will. To the average man, it doesnt seem right to surrender your life so you can find it , per Jesus.

2. The difference between Westboro Baptist Church and Stalin/Mao/Musilini , is :

a. Westboro Baptist Church claims to be an evangelical Christian Church following orthodox Christian doctrine , but closer examination shows it is not and they have twisted doctrines to suit their own demonstrative actions. Therefore , Westboro doesnt represent real Christianity.

b. The Dictators which murdered over 100,000,000 innocent people collectively in the 20 th century (alone) , based their justification on the very ideologies and constructs of athiestic Darwinnian Evolution which includes survival FOR the fittest providing a 'better' humanity by killing off the 'weaker less qualified' race / heritage . Therefore, they were acting on and representing atheism .
LOL! Evolution has nothing to do with atheism. In fact, many theists believe in evolution. So, your little "theory" about equating these dictator's ideologies with simply having no belief in god, does not hold water. You might as well say that their ideologies were based on their lack of belief in Big Foot!

Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Wow! You knew the religion of every participant who volunteered at such charities? I wonder how anyone knew my religion (or lack thereof) at any of the events that I volunteered at, since I never brought it up. I guess they "ass"umed that I was a believer......
You built a strawman . I made assertion to MYSELF serving at those humanitarian outreaches and PERSONALLY not having met an atheist.

How does a true Atheist who believes mankind is just one big cosmic accident derived from an undignified, unpurposed, non meaningful pond protozoa coming from dead raw chemicals in the atmosphere ... not keep in step with that atheist construct , behaviorily, all of their daily lives and instead choose to do noble humanitarian works as if the fundamental atheistic construct were completely false and a lie ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism