Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM

14,823 posts, read 14,831,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Belief and proof are two different concepts.
Believe whatever you want.
Fine, but disbelief is not a belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,524,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
An atheist claims something doesnt exist just because they cant see it, yet and agnostic acknowledges that it could possibly exist but wont be convinced until seeing it firsthand!
An atheist does not except things that are NOT supported by evidence. For example, four eyed monkeys, 6 foot tall rats, and invisible, inaudible, all powerful skymen that care about how I have sex but can't feed starving kids.

Why lend credibility to any unsubstaniated claim by abstaining from judgement? Christians don't acknowledge the possiblity that Muhammad or Thor are the one true gods and Vice Versa.

Agnostics are scared atheist.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,524,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
An agnostic never has to make up his mind. While the die hard religious folks, and die hard atheists fight with each other convincing the other of each other follies, us agnostics keep an open mind always looking for the answers, realizing that some things are unanswerable!
You're not an agnostic if you claim something to be "unanswerable"..The origin of the universe was one "unanswerable" but today not so much. That's a ridiculous position to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But you can't prove there is a God and you can't prove there isn't a God.
That is telling it like it is.
You can't prove I don't have six heads. Should you abstain from making a judgement just because I made a claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
I consider myself an agnostic theist. I believe in some sort of god or "higher being". I don't stress over it though because no one will be able to prove the existence of a god one way or another.
I find these "positions" cute. They are of no use. You can't even define what a "higher being" would be but you believe in it then claim you couldn't prove it's existence either way..Really? LOL..Think about that for a second.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM

2,300 posts, read 2,047,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I thought "not giving a crap about religious beliefs" was what atheism is.
I thought atheism was consciously not believing in a god-like being. Agnosticism was not caring one way or the other.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,960,884 times
Why is it that all forms of DNA except humans strive to find the best way to consume other forms of DNA to exist. Humans are the only form of DNA that strive to become more intellegent to exterminate all forms of DNA including itself...Maybe we are not the most advanced form of DNA, but instead a horrible flaw in the DNA code itself....Mother Nature will balance herself out shortly....

Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM

37,213 posts, read 42,491,179 times
People that don't assign lables are the bestest of all!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,324,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes you cannot disprove something that does not exist. We've been telling Christian lemmings this fact for Decades.
mhfm1's Channel - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDiJdqwA2yc

http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/charts/charts.html (broken link)

Last edited by CK78; 11-01-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,324,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Exactly, we really don't know jack ****. If anyone tries to say they know something, they are the biggest fool of all.

There is no proof of anything. In fact, scientifically it is impossible for you to exist at all. Nothing should exist at all.

In order for anything to exist, something had to be created out of nothing. If we could create something out of nothing, it would destroy everything.

In my personal view, I don't believe it is even possible for us to ever find out why we exist at all. In order to prove it, we would have to have the power to recreate it.

Even if we separated the impossibility that is anything existing at all. The probability that the physical properties of our universe would be so properly "tuned" to allow for life to exist is such a ridiculously small number as to be practically impossible. Generally this physical nature is called the "cosmological constant"(especially the relationship of the varying forces that exist).

Hell, we don't even currently have a single theory that deals with the four forces that we know exist(weak force, strong force, gravity, electromagnetism).

Basically, we know absolutely nothing, and when I hear anyone pronounce they know something about the origins of life. It makes me cringe.

And I don't know where this atheist in the above post gets off calling us agnostics "weak-minded". If you consider a person weak for not prescribing to something that can't be proven. Then I would believe that the most intelligent people on this Earth would then have to be considered "weak-minded".
Very good points. The fact that we even exist is insane. And science lies a lot about what they really know. They really know very little but pretend to know a lot. There's a lot of problems with carbon dating and it relies on false assumptions about decay rates.

Scientists have no idea how old the earth really is or how we came to be. But the system has to have them pretend to know or people might look to God for the answers. Lucifer can't have that. He didn't take centuries to take back control of every government on earth and have an anti-Pope elected in 1958 so the truth could get out.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 PM

39,969 posts, read 26,759,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
Agnostics are just atheists without the stones to make a definitive statement. We like to think of them as our weak-minded cousins.
As an agnostic, I just don't care.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,052,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
It was before some dummies decided to make a negative assertion as a matter of faith the new definition.
Yeah, it's pretty impressive how religious folks have managed to frame the debate that not believing in god is just as questionable as believing in god. Somehow the traditional basis of having to prove your position is now - well, I don't have to prove there's a god, you have to prove he doesn't exist. Sheeesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism