Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 10,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Why is it that if you're not religious in this country almost all religious people will refer to you as an atheist When in fact atheists make up less than a third of self identified non religious people in most surveys?

I've noticed this particularly on this forum.
I guess it's just a bad word to call somebody who isn't conforming, to whatever you want them to conform to. It's like liberal and conservative in America. The terms get used and abused so much, they become meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,942,100 times
Quote:
Why is it that if you're not religious in this country almost all religious people will refer to you as an atheist When in fact atheists make up less than a third of self identified non religious people in most surveys?

Well......In my case they would be right.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,701,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I actually know the answer to this one. It's because they truly believe there is only one God, that it specifically is Biblegod and that therefore, if anyone believes in anything else, they're actually not believing in anything. Yes, there IS that degree of arrogance.
The arrogance goes farther than that. You have Catholics who look down on Protestants and vice versa as if one is a true Christian while the other isn't. But as far as the OP's question, I think people who are deeply religious have a hard time understanding how someone can believe in God, but not be religious. To them, those are mutually exclusive. You can't believe in God without also subscribing to a religion. Otherwise, how do you know what God is telling you? Like that quote from Gandhi about liking Christianity, but not the Christians (or however it goes), think a lot of people have no trouble believing in God, but they've been so turned off by organized religion that they'd rather figure out for themselves what to believe, not have some guy in a robe tell them what to think. Can't say I blame them.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM

677 posts, read 938,882 times
Quote:

The question you ask is ridiculous unless you don't understand the definition of the word atheist:

a·the·ist

   /ˈeɪθiɪst/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
–noun a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Afterall, look where you're posting, on a atheist board, so why are you in denial? And why do we Christians take the bible at it's word? For the knowledge it holds is way beyond man's understanding. And because a person is not Christian in particular does not necessarily mean they are a a atheist. Yet Christ say's in:

Matthew 6:24

[SIZE=2]New American Standard[/SIZE]
"No one can serve two masters ; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. (therefore either you're with Christ or against Him, there's no middle ground)

Matthew 6:30-32

[SIZE=2]30[/SIZE]He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
[SIZE=2]31[/SIZE]Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. [SIZE=2]32[/SIZE]And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,701,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
And why do we Christians take the bible at it's word? For the knowledge it holds is way beyond man's understanding.
Good question. Why do you take it at its word? The Bible was written by men. What makes them any more credible than the guy you meet on the street? To say that the Bible holds knowledge beyond man's understanding is a load of BS. That's just an excuse believers use to avoid having to explain the silliness of their beliefs. Just imagine how much I could claim if I could conveniently say that understanding it was beyond man's capability.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM

180 posts, read 218,693 times
Quote:

Because that religion is likely all they have ever known and they have very little knowledge of the non-religious or any other relgions. (Im not saying all christians just most) Believe or not I have christian friends that are actually good people to debate with , and yes there are those few on this forum.

Also your taught not to question it since birth , so you dont , out of fear.
Youll go to hell if you do. And thats sunday school lesson number one for the kids , do it or burn in a fire........... FOREVER

Well in your southern christian denominations at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism