Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Everybody I met in Singapore loves it there. It is very liveable city. It tends to be pretty expnsive, but there is an Indian district, where you can eat and sleep for a lot less than the going rate for
Singapore. (If you're really on the cheap, look for Ali's Nest---its on line). Or, you can spend most of your time over in the much cheaper Johor Baru, Malaysia, which is a virtual suburb, just a few minutes on a local bus, with a quick and easy border crossing, even with a foreign passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
Pros:
1. Very well developed place
2. Multicultural
3. Good food

Cons:
1. Expensive
2. Hot and Humid

Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
What are the people like?

>People are nicer in Sing over HK. I remember one hot and humid day (okay they are all like that) I took a walk mid-day (stupid) and got to a coffee shop exhausted. People at the coffee shop saw me and knew I was not local and told me to sit down and brought me cold water and told me to just relax first then order later. Later on I took a walk around Chinatown and people would ask if I was lost or needed help. This never happened in HK.

Its multi-cultural but not in the same sense as Toronto or New York. Predominantly Chinese with Indians (many Tamils), Malays (Bumiputra) and white folks thrown in for a little spice..

Is the health and food regulations sector up to US standards?

> Absolutely, its not a third world country by any means. I'd live in Sing for the food alone. Gotta have chili crab. Hawker food courts are great. I was glad I sweated so much else I would have gained weight eating my way in Sing...

Is it a clean enviorment?

> You will see some litter but I found this actually refreshing considering how many rules there are.. and I loved it when I saw some people jaywalk...overall very clean.

Is singapore a place where americans can study?

> Yes. It depends on what you are studying. NUS, Nanyang are excellent unis. A few Aussie unis (e.g., Adelaide, W. Australia) offer certain programmes in Sing. Insead from France has a Sing Campus. A few other foreign unis are here as well.

Is it true that their economy is growing?

> Yes last I checked a few months ago. Low unemployment (under 3%). They were going to Unis in Oz looking for people to move there for work. Do a google search for Contact Singapore and sign up. Salaries are lower than the US but income tax is only 7% and you can live in JB, across the river and commute in.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-05-2008 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Singapore is like Disney World. If Disney World were run by Hitler.
Not by Hitler, as the pm isn't racist, but the ruling party is pretty Fascist.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 AM

21 posts, read 52,071 times
Singapore is considered as the Asia business capital after Hong Kong. Singapore is one of the cleanest city in thew world. Singapore is the mixture of Western and Ethnical cultures. It's a great place for study not only for Americans but people from other countries as well. The standard of education in Singapore is quite high which considered as the best place for education in Asia. It has an open, pro-business environment, relatively corruption-free and transparent, stable prices, low tax rates (14.2% of GDP) compared to other developed economies, and one of the highest per-capita gross domestic products in the world.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What are the people like?

>People are nicer in Sing over HK. I remember one hot and humid day (okay they are all like that) I took a walk mid-day (stupid) and got to a coffee shop exhausted. People at the coffee shop saw me and knew I was not local and told me to sit down and brought me cold water and told me to just relax first then order later. Later on I took a walk around Chinatown and people would ask if I was lost or needed help. This never happened in HK.

Its multi-cultural but not in the same sense as Toronto or New York. Predominantly Chinese with Indians (many Tamils), Malays (Bumiputra) and white folks thrown in for a little spice..

Is the health and food regulations sector up to US standards?

> Absolutely, its not a third world country by any means. I'd live in Sing for the food alone. Gotta have chili crab. Hawker food courts are great. I was glad I sweated so much else I would have gained weight eating my way in Sing...

Is it a clean enviorment?

> You will see some litter but I found this actually refreshing considering how many rules there are.. and I loved it when I saw some people jaywalk...overall very clean.

Is singapore a place where americans can study?

> Yes. It depends on what you are studying. NUS, Nanyang are excellent unis. A few Aussie unis (e.g., Adelaide, W. Australia) offer certain programmes in Sing. Insead from France has a Sing Campus. A few other foreign unis are here as well.

Is it true that their economy is growing?

> Yes last I checked a few months ago. Low unemployment (under 3%). They were going to Unis in Oz looking for people to move there for work. Do a google search for Contact Singapore and sign up. Salaries are lower than the US but income tax is only 7% and you can live in JB, across the river and commute in.
JB stands for what? Some kind of subsidized housing?? Details appreciated

Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,304 times
I would like this thread discussed more. Tell me about your trip!!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
JB stands for what? Some kind of subsidized housing?? Details appreciated
JB is Johor Bahru, the Malaysian city across the border.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I would like this thread discussed more. Tell me about your trip!!!!
Do you have any specific questions?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you have any specific questions?
I wouldn't even know where to begin, just tell me everything you know about Singapore lol. Make it LONG !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia