Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:12 PM

67 posts, read 192,436 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me about expat life in singapore and how it would compare to expat life in Hong kong, Shanghai, and Bangkok? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:09 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
Boring. Have to go to Indonesia (Batam) or Malaysia (Johor Baru) for excitement.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

956 posts, read 1,766,843 times
! What do you mean by excitement, speeding, bungee- jumping... ? They have a great nite zoo. Hated that Haw Par Villa, which I think closed down some time back. Have you been there ?

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

what makes it boring? what is in those other two places thats more interesting?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Singapore is very well- planned so people who love order and tidiness tend to like it. The more unconventional ones call it boring. Most people speak English , also Mandarin. Very easy for foreigners- good infrastructure, good malls ,signs are in English (it's a Commonwealth country) so no need to kill yourself learning a new language. Little corruption, very business- orientated and pragmatic. People are not as harried and agressive as those in HK (money, money and money !). There are Malays and Indians so there is more ethnic variety. The standard of English 's better . Cars are expensive, though ..

Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Singapore is very well- planned so people who love order and tidiness tend to like it. The more unconventional ones call it boring. Cars are expensive, though ..
Yes, Stink-a-poor is a fine city. There is a fine for everything. It is an example of how people will put up with a police state simply because the buses run on time. (Could not find a Far Eastern Economic Review mag in Stink; why not? All opposition MPs are in jail. Why? Yad-da-da....)

"Person in the street shrugs 'Security comes first", but the trouble with normal is it always gets worse."

It is Asia-Lite for Americans who don't want/can't handle smells, rubbish, late buses, noise, a little bit of dirt in the hawker stall.

The entire city feels like a gigantic shopping mall. HDB flats. Many white people running around pretending that they are living in Asia.

Yes, I have been to Stink-a-poor; many times.

If so great, why do Stink-a-poreans visit Malaysia so often on their vacations?

Okay, rant over. Now to answer the OP question: how is expat life in Singapore, I would suggest he go over to Dave's ESL cafe (do a google search; cannot post a url here) and do a search of the forums. Few ESL teachers in Singapore post. What is there to post about?

"Today the bus was on time. Everyone queued up and waited their turn to board. I saw a policeman arrest a little boy for chewing gum. I got to work on time in my new Brooks Brother suit, but of course, my office mates were dressed in even MORE impressive suits. I just cannot keep up with the Wangs and Lees in this dress-to-impress culture."

I found Hong Kong to be far more vibrant and interesting. A lot happening there. Never been to Shanghai, but I doubt that Stink will displace Shanghai for cachet and swagger now that the CCP has re-discovered capitalism. Bangkok was okay, but quite spread out and hard to travel in (this was before the rail system was put in).

What restricts you, OP, to these few big cities? How about Kuala Lumpur? Jakarta? Manila? Or smaller cities (much more interesting): Chiang Mai, Penang, Kunming.

Last edited by Teak; 05-22-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
! What do you mean by excitement, speeding, bungee- jumping... ? They have a great nite zoo. Hated that Haw Par Villa, which I think closed down some time back. Have you been there ?
Yes, you can make the rounds of Singapore in a day or so. And then what? Sentosa's gambling houses will make the city a bigger destination (for gamblers) than before, I suppose. But have you seen Sentosa? Not that big or interesting. The beach is quite dirty.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:42 PM

But lots of people like it there. And I refrained from mentioning fines or chewing gum. Why do you like Penang ?

Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
What restricts you, OP, to these few big cities? How about Kuala Lumpur? Jakarta? Manila? Or smaller cities (much more interesting): Chiang Mai, Penang, Kunming.
nothing restricts me. im currently a college student(majoring in anthropology and economics with a minor in east asian studies) and im actually probably going to be studying abroad in Kunming to focus on chinese minority policy. More than anything im just trying to get a feel of vibrant Asian cities worth spending some time in, and singapore caught my eye do to low crime, cleanliness(i hate pollution), and the fact that i could get by with english. i assumed it would be a culturally exciting place since it was such world renowned city. i guess i may be mistaken

Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 PM

I see. Do you speak or understand Mandarin, Malay, Indonesian (a sister language of Malay) or Tagalog ? That would be helpful. Go with your instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia