Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:13 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,774 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles - Beijing (because Beijing has a lot of sprawl, wide huge avenues).

New York - Shanghai (because of the density, the atmosphere and importance)

Chicago - Chongqing (because they are both the most important inland cities of each nation)

San Francisco - Hong Kong (just because so many San Franciscans are Cantonese in origin, also the natural setting on the harbor and the bay are both breathtaking)

Las Vegas - Macau (the world's top gambling centers, other than that, there are no similarities)

The other cities are pretty hard to compare. I couldn't really think of any American city comparable to Tokyo. Maybe Los Angeles, but the match wasn't that great either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
Obviously, I'm biased. Nothing is going to compare to NY and Beijing in my eyes. I'll just shut up about them now.

What about Shanghai? It's re-exploded into an international powerhouse recently. It's got the port and the industry. It's all about being new and brash. Los Angeles?

Scott
I think Shanghai is the most similar to New York in Asia. New York is definitely far more diverse (obviously) and is more cosmopolitan and international. But Shanghai's commercial energy and huge ambitions I think probably outweigh any other major city at this time. Shanghai is the commercial capital of China, so that says a lot in itself. The density, the electricity, the arrogant attitude of the locals, the raw ambition and being the city of dreams is very much like New York.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
I think, NY and HK are fairly good matches...however, I think in the next few decades, Beijing is going to eclipse HK and Tokyo to be the next NY of Asia. I don't think the Chinese are going to allow HK to outshine BJ on the international scene much longer. The money that is being poured into making BJ a world class city is staggering.

Scott
Beijing will never be like New York. First, Beijing's feel is completely different. It is a very sprawling city, more like Los Angeles.

Shanghai is the financial center of China, it is a huge city full of raw ambition. It is the most similar to New York and it's importance is rapidly growing. I see Shanghai's star fast surpassing Hong Kong in the next twenty years, although HK will still retain its importance.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Please explain in detail.

I have some more.

Honolulu, HI - Colombo, Sri Lanka. Both cities are on relatively big islands with tropical climates.

Oakland, CA - Beirut, Lebanon. Both cities have similar climates and have their own unique vibe. Both have known hard times.
Yeah and both Oakland and Beirut feel like a war zone.

Anyways, for other comparisons.

Manila - Miami - Even though this is a bad comparison because Manila is far bigger. But simply due to the Spanish influences and tropical weather.

San Diego - Singapore - The cities are similarly sized. Both clean, nice to live in with beautiful warm weather on the sea.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Yeah and both Oakland and Beirut feel like a war zone.

Anyways, for other comparisons.

Manila - Miami - Even though this is a bad comparison because Manila is far bigger. But simply due to the Spanish influences and tropical weather.

San Diego - Singapore - The cities are similarly sized. Both clean, nice to live in with beautiful warm weather on the sea.
I understand these two. However, I would compare San Diego more to Limassol,Cyprus. Military influences and similar climate.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Sacramento, CA and Xi'an, China (this was the ancient capital of China.. both are in dry climates.)

Edmonton, Canada and Harbin, China

Old 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Sacramento, CA and Xi'an, China (this was the ancient capital of China.. both are in dry climates.)

Well,

Minneapolis,MN - Harbin,China(extremely cold, winter culture).

Denver,CO - Hohhot,China

And Edmonton is a Canadian city.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

I really wouldn't compare Sacramento to Xi'an. The climates are actually not all that similar and the histories between the two are really incomparable. Xi'an has 4000 years of history. Sacramento is a mere tadpole in comparison, and is nowhere near the cultural importance of Xi'an either on a global or even national nor regional level.

Edmonton, I could see, but probably Calgary would be more apt.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 AM

92 posts, read 249,837 times
Minneapols - Ho Chi Minh City

Phoenix - Lahore

Seattle - Chengdu

Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Boston, MA to Kyoto, Japan. Both cities are historically very important, notable for universities and historic architecture, although both were surpassed by faster growing neighboring cities in prominence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia