Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Tokyo 8 14.81%
Seoul 10 18.52%
Shanghai 1 1.85%
Beijing 0 0%
Hong Kong 23 42.59%
Singapore 3 5.56%
Bangkok 6 11.11%
Osaka 0 0%
Kuala Lumpur 0 0%
Taipei 2 3.70%
Manila 0 0%
Jakarta 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I can't really vote since I've only been to a few, but of the ones I've been to, Hong Kong, Singapore/Taipei (big gap) KL, Bangkok and the rest, namely Hanoi, HCM, and Macau, which didn't have commuter rail. I've been to Beijing, Tianjin and Xian but didn't use their system so can't comment.

I know the Seoul and Tokyo subways blow away Singapore or HK by number of lines etc, but coverage is only one criterion. There's user-friendliness, reliability, comfort...all kinds of things.

While I'm including cities with bus networks, they are at an obvious disadvantage to those with metro systems, especially clean, modern subways. Singapore's MRT is 30 years old but is holding up well and expanding rapidly. It's very easy to get anywhere in Singapore. Taipei's felt similar to Singapore's (also called MRT).

I think the 'real' candidates are Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing but I'll include some others just because. The others suffer a lot in terms of user-friendliness. Osaka might be another one. I've heard Manila and Jakarta have very non-user friendly metros. Are there any plans for the Vietnamese cities to get commuter rail/subway any time soon?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I can't really vote since I've only been to a few, but of the ones I've been to, Hong Kong, Singapore/Taipei (big gap) KL, Bangkok and the rest, namely Hanoi, HCM, and Macau, which didn't have commuter rail. I've been to Beijing, Tianjin and Xian but didn't use their system so can't comment.

I know the Seoul and Tokyo subways blow away Singapore or HK by number of lines etc, but coverage is only one criterion. There's user-friendliness, reliability, comfort...all kinds of things.

While I'm including cities with bus networks, they are at an obvious disadvantage to those with metro systems, especially clean, modern subways. Singapore's MRT is 30 years old but is holding up well and expanding rapidly. It's very easy to get anywhere in Singapore. Taipei's felt similar to Singapore's (also called MRT).

I think the 'real' candidates are Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing but I'll include some others just because. The others suffer a lot in terms of user-friendliness. Osaka might be another one. I've heard Manila and Jakarta have very non-user friendly metros. Are there any plans for the Vietnamese cities to get commuter rail/subway any time soon?

Seoul and Tokyo serve a much larger area and a much larger population than that of Hong Kong or Singapore, so it is not an even comparison. Shanghai is a contender, however, with 242 stations.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Tokyo Metro or Hong Kong MTR.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 59,874 times
It's either the two. Tokyo or seoul. They're both extremely advanced compared to all the others. I've been to singapore and hong kong twice but seoul's transport system is way better in accessibility, comfort, satisfaction, and extremely user-accessible. They just need the T-money card for all transport systems which is pretty awesome. In fact, in terms of hygiene, seoul's transport system is way more cleaner than singapore and hong kong. I was quite disappointed that singapore's tranport system wasn't that clean compared to what I've heard.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Singapore in about a decade should probably get up there when they finish up their expansions and renovations. It makes sense since it's a small country.

Anyhow, yea, it is overall Tokyo and Seoul as these have two humongous systems for two humongous cities. Some of the large chinese cities are catching up but aren't quite there yet. One thing I greatly disliked about Tokyo's system is that it is actually multiple systems which are not completely seamlessly integrated with the system being a bit confusing at times.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
The thing i like about Seoul System is the T money cards they use in the metro are able to be used in the buses and metro systems in a number of other cities all over the country.

You can also use them to pay for other things like taxis and public phones calls.

The one complaint i have about seouls system its sometimes very confusing finding the correct exit you need when getting out of the larger stations.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,893 times
Singapore also uses the same concept (known as EZLink Card) to access the MRT and even public buses. Very convenient and hassle-free.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

HCMC started a project for 2 metro transit lines..slated to be complete around 2018 from what i was told by a relative.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 AM

21 posts, read 52,071 times
Singapore public transportation systems is often rated as efficient, comfortable, safe, reliable and affordable. The best thing about Singapore transport network is that it is well connected with trains, buses and taxis. Singapore was ranked highest amongst 49 cities world-wide and a Gallup report in 2008 which revealed that Singaporeans are more satisfied with their public transportation than are citizens in 20 of the world’s most populous cities.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,129 times
Xi'an
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia