Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,006 times

Advertisements

See: Super Typhoon Makes Landfall in the Philippines

Quote:
Haiyan had intensified and accelerated as it moved closer to the country with sustained winds of 195 mph and gusts of 235 mph, according to the U.S. Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center.
For comparison, this is equal to a Cat 5 hurricane here in the states - only two Atlantic Cat 5's at U.S. landfall were Camille and the 1935 Florida Keys hurricane - see List of Cat 5 Atlantic Hurricanes.

This is, indeed a deadly and powerful storm so I sure am hoping that many preparations were made beforehand.

Our thoughts and prayers for your safety and well-being go out to all in the path and affected by this monstrous storm!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,099,144 times
I hope it will weaken, with God's help.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,995,447 times
They knew it was coming and all but even the shelters are not safe from the force of a storm like this. Those with so little are left sleeping in a gymnasium or some kind of open shelter or tent city for a very long time. Remember the storms in the last couple of years? Those that have the least lose the most in terms of human life and their possessions. It makes me sad and angry.

The Philippines has a terrible stray animal problem too, I worry for the little critters that have no one and no where to go. Life is very hard for some and a walk in the park for others. Much depends on where ya land.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,277,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
See: Super Typhoon Makes Landfall in the Philippines

For comparison, this is equal to a Cat 5 hurricane here in the states - only two Atlantic Cat 5's at U.S. landfall were Camille and the 1935 Florida Keys hurricane - see List of Cat 5 Atlantic Hurricanes.

This is, indeed a deadly and powerful storm so I sure am hoping that many preparations were made beforehand.

Our thoughts and prayers for your safety and well-being go out to all in the path and affected by this monstrous storm!

I just heard about how strong this storm is. I pray that the news was wrong and the storm weakened before landfall.

The people of the Philippines are in my prayers tonight.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,425,956 times
My thoughts and prayers are with the Philippines tonight. I hope the damage is minimal.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM

They are saying 2 people have been killed thus far. Here is a bit of a collection of photos.

Netizens record Typhoon Yolanda's wrath | Sun.Star

Cebu - a live webcam. It's blowing but not too bad there from the live cam angle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JghQgjGKhY#t=84689

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,760,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
They are saying 2 people have been killed thus far. Here is a bit of a collection of photos.

Netizens record Typhoon Yolanda's wrath | Sun.Star

Cebu - a live webcam. It's blowing but not too bad there from the live cam angle.

#SuperTyphoonYolanda (Haiyan) - YouTube
The worst must have already passed because those chairs aren't moving anywhere.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 PM

I think they said it was cutting across the north part of Cebu. I'm glad to only see a bit of wind on the Cebu City cam. I hope it passes quickly and everyone stays safe.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,006 times
Great reports all, here's the latest from our weather.com:

Super Typhoon Haiyan: Strongest Typhoon of Year Slams the Philippines - weather.com HAIYAN: American Missionary Living in Philippines

They're talking catastrophic now, just terrible, and so sad for these people. And, something that I was not aware of:
Quote:
Already, three typhoons have struck the Philippines this year.
However, this one seems to be the worst on record, ever, for both typhoons in the Pacific and hurricanes in the Atlantic!

Again, we're very concerned with the safety of all affected - take care.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,259,673 times
Some areas have been hit hard such as Tacloban, so no word from friends on Samar yet. Contact with my friends in Cebu City say it wasn't very bad there yet power is out, so it will be a while before a lot of communications are back on and I hear from others.

I watched the sat images and the eye went right over the top of Cebu island, so hope everyone up there is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia