Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Look, I am an agnostic atheist myself, but during a time when people have lost everyone and everything you don't whine about praying when for some of them it is the only comfort, real or imagined, that they have.

There is an entire forum if you want to talk about the usefulness of prayer but as someone who still hasn't reached their family members I would really appreciate it if you didn't use a natural disaster of epic proportions to try to make your point.
I don't whine about it, I just find it ironic somehow...

Especially when people in other parts of the world say they are praying for the Filipinos. I just don't buy into that. Americans, Europeans etc. should go the bank and wire some money to the red cross etc. instead if they really cared and wanted to help. And they should stop denying climate change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't whine about it, I just find it ironic somehow...

Especially when people in other parts of the world say they are praying for the Filipinos. I just don't buy into that. Americans, Europeans etc. should go the bank and wire some money to the red cross etc. instead if they really cared and wanted to help. And they should stop denying climate change...

valid enough points. prayers do have an impact, but i dont want to delve into that right now. i agree it's more important to go out and do something about the dire situation at hand.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Anyway, I'm afraid that as those disasters strike more frequently, we will become indifferent. Who remembers Nargis, that killed 140000 people in Myanmar just five years ago?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
and for those who'd rather use their time to nitpick on little things, here's another story for you:

Bigas (Rice), Sardinas (Sardines) at Trenta (Thirty) Pesos...
The boys and i decided to drop by the grocery after church this afternoon to buy the stuff we would be sending to Tacloban City tomorrow. Nearing our house, We saw five Tawi kids waiting for us at the gate. With a smile they greeted us and handed me a small paper bag and said ' Pakisama nyo pa po ito sa ipadadala nyo bukas sa mga binagyo. ("please include this among the things that you will send to the victim of typhoon") Nangalakal po kami para din sa kanila ("we gathered scrap along the streets and sold it for them")..Sana po makatulong.("hope this can help too")' I opened the bag and saw a kilo of rice, 2 sardines and three ten peso coins..Ung trenta po pambili nila duon ng tinapay para hindi mayupi sa byahe.' (" the thirty pesos is for them to buy bread in tacloban so that it will not be flattened during the trip") I held the precious bag so tight & assured the boys that their donation will surely help kids in Tacloban. I know how hard they worked today just so they could share. It's not easy being chased by dogs & cops and be bullied by all sorts of 'tambays (streetboys)' in the streets of Rizal..Not easy to walk the entire day looking for scraps in every street garbage drums..but they braved the heat of the sun and all other challenges just to come up with what they think would be of help to others..I said to myself, nahihiya ako sa kanila..hindi ako naaawa, humahanga ako kasi hindi lahat kayang magbigay ng may kalakip na sakripisyo..(“ i felt ashamed towards them, i don’t pity them, but i admire them because not everyone is capable of giving with sacrifice...) so often we give from our spare..but these kids gave out of the only things they've got..Reminds me of the poor widow who gave 2 pennies for the Lord..She gave her all for the Master and that made all the difference..
God bless, beautiful children of the Savior...
I remember there was one banana turon vendor instead of selling it. She donated all of the turon that she was about to sell for their family. She said that they still have food to eat and wanted to share her little blessing that she receives by donating it for those flooded victim few months back.

I'm glad that our provincial Pangasinan governor donated 2 Million in Bohol for the quake victims and 2 Million each for the province of Samar and Leyte. Because we were once a victim of strong earthquake 1990 and massive flooding and Visayas and other part of the Philippines extended their help.

LGU-Pangasinan donates P4M for “Yolanda” Victims

Last edited by pinai; 11-11-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
My thoughts and prayers to all those affected from this terrible devastation in the Philippines.

My daughter lives in Indonesia and her roommate is from the Philippines where she has her family. Her roommate is awaiting word of her family's fate. I've made a donation to the Red Cross, yet I will continue to pray and keep the Filipinos in my thoughts.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then it's not "the strongest storm to make landfall anywhere in the world, at any time" if you need to qualify it with "since we have been keeping records". Enough with lies.
and what can you do to disprove it? call the souls of the departed to ask them if they had storms stronger than haiyan?

we're all basing that claim on what's been on record. so you're saying then that the Guinness Book of World Records is one big, lying piece of S(%^ since it only keeps track of achievements ON RECORD? seriously, if english is your first language, how sad that you can't even comprehend arguments in your own first language

Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM

that's why we in the healthcare profession always emphasize DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. because IF IT'S NOT DOCUMENTED, THEN IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 PM

if you really want to waste your time on disproving what's on the official records, go do your research on what's GEOLOGICALLY/TOPOGRAPHICALLY documented. go to typhoon prone areas, and try to pick up evidences of storms that were stronger than typhoon haiyan but never got on official records, most probably because it was before man could devise systems of measuring such kind of stuff. c'mon, i challenge you to waste your time and resources on that so you can disprove that claim. you probably have all the time, money, energy, manpower to waste on such a thing.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times

Latest News on Super Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda in the Philippines:

Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda Update: Little Aid Has Arrived in Hard-Hit Tacloban

Photos: Super Tyhoon Haiyan/Yolanda Leaves Stunning Damage

U.S., U.K. and Nations Worldwide Pledge to Help Philippine Typhoon Victims

Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda Storm Surges Caught Philippines by Surprise

Tropical Depression Zoraida Lurks as Haiyan Relief Continues

Missing Persons: Please don't forget, if you or anyone you know are looking for someone in the Philippines, or have information about someone in the area, please go to: Google Person Finder - Typhoon Yolanda

Sending our best to all - keep the faith!
___________________-.
_______
* Note * Come on folks, let's get back on topic and stay on topic and within the spirit of this thread - which is not up for arguments about stats or religion - but to offer our best wishes, prayers if we so choose, and helpful info and encouragement in the face of this disaster. Please ignore those that attempt to highjack it with their own agendas, and if you can't ignore it, then report it, just don't respond to it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-11-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then it's not "the strongest storm to make landfall anywhere in the world, at any time" if you need to qualify it with "since we have been keeping records". Enough with lies.
and what did/can we learn from the undocumented storms that you're so proud of? there's nothing to base on since they're NOT ON RECORD. that's why most of what the global community is doing is in the context of what's ON RECORD because you have something to learn/base from. we could learn that a storm of this magnitude could cause this kind of tidal surge, which in turn would be used as basis for disaster prevention/relief/rescue operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia