Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It looks like one of the main attractions of Manila.
Most of the well-known college schools in Manila was built in Spanish era.
Santa Isabel College for girls in Manila

^this school is still operates. built in 1600's. The oldest school for girls.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Nice.. I wonder how many schools Spain built in the Philippines before.
There's a lot of course UST as the number 1. I like their campus so much, I used to visit my priest uncle there. so I always visit the school. I just decided not to study there because my uncle is a dean in lol College of Philosophy, maybe he'll get my class card before I get it LOL.

Universidad de Santo Tomas, built in 1611

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Intramuros looks like an interesting place in Manila. Have any of you visited or lived there?
I've been there. It's a pretty cool little area.

As with everywhere in Manila, I wish the authorities would reign in some of the rift raft that goes through. I liked Intramuros quite a bit. But as a white person, I always felt I had to have my guard up just a bit too often.

Actually most all of Manila is like that. The city has so much to offer, but their is some element that just holds it back. It's completely different than going to other cities in Southeast Asia that also have a lot of poverty. In the other countries, you feel relatively safe, and comfortable. In Manila, you don't.

In short, I visited and walked around Intramuros for an afternoon, and I liked what I saw. But it wasn't a place I'd want to linger around or try to have a picnic or anything. It's rough around the edges, for sure, and some tourists, but fewer than it deserves.

Granted it's been about 10-12 years since I was there, it could be completely different now. There was so much potential, that if its cleaned up at all, it has the possibility to much enjoyable than it was when I saw it.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been there. It's a pretty cool little area.

As with everywhere in Manila, I wish the authorities would reign in some of the rift raft that goes through. I liked Intramuros quite a bit. But as a white person, I always felt I had to have my guard up just a bit too often.

Actually most all of Manila is like that. The city has so much to offer, but their is some element that just holds it back. It's completely different than going to other cities in Southeast Asia that also have a lot of poverty. In the other countries, you feel relatively safe, and comfortable. In Manila, you don't.

In short, I visited and walked around Intramuros for an afternoon, and I liked what I saw. But it wasn't a place I'd want to linger around or try to have a picnic or anything. It's rough around the edges, for sure, and some tourists, but fewer than it deserves.

Granted it's been about 10-12 years since I was there, it could be completely different now. There was so much potential, that if its cleaned up at all, it has the possibility to much enjoyable than it was when I saw it.
Hearing this makes me even warier to visit Manila alone. To be perfectly honest it's not a city I'm dying to see (least of all literally ) but I do want to see it.

I agree...I never left the least bit unsafe elsewhere in Asia. Yes, I got hassled, but I never felt under threat, like I did on a couple of occasions in the US.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
There's a lot of course UST as the number 1. I like their campus so much, I used to visit my priest uncle there. so I always visit the school. I just decided not to study there because my uncle is a dean in lol College of Philosophy, maybe he'll get my class card before I get it LOL.

Universidad de Santo Tomas, built in 1611
This monument is in Santo Tomas ? Very lovely. It is like a monument in European cities.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
This monument is in Santo Tomas ? Very lovely. It is like a monument in European cities.
yes, that's in University of Santo Tomas.

De La Salle Univerisity in Taft Avenue Manila was also affected during the WWII. This school was established during 1911 a private Catholic School Institution. Which originally school for boys but now it offered both male and female students.

they retain the building and restored. One of the best school building when it comes to architecture.

De La Salle University during the WWII

Last edited by pinai; 05-14-2013 at 04:24 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 AM

Ateneo de Manila

Quote:
Ateneo de Manila fronted Calle Arzobispo, just across the San Ignacio Church. This school for boys was first known as Esculea Pia de Manila which begun by Don Pedro de Vivanco in 1816. But it had to close due to financial trouble. After the Spanish Government took over it in 1830, it was renamed Escuela Municipal de Manila.

The school was handed over to the Jesuits two months after their return. On 12 December 1859, the first classes under the Jesuit administration opened on the first floor of the Casa Mision [San Ignacio Convent]. It was renamed Ateneo Municipal de Manila. Later on, it was allowed to grant degrees in 1865 and assigned a building of its own across Casa Mision.

The word "Municipal" was dropped when government subsidy was withdrawn in 1901. In 1921, the Ateneo, along with the other Spanish Jesuit Missions, was turned over to the American Jesuits of the Maryland Province.

The 1932 fire destroyed the Ateneo and the campus moved to Padre Faura St. in Ermita. In 1941, the grade school reopened on the same site in Intramuros.

The Ateneo in Ermita was destroyed in the Battle of Manila. It moved to Quezon Cty in 1950. The lot and ruins of the grade school were made into a warehouse after it was sold to a private firm. The Intramuros Administration bought the lot in 1992.
The Campus changed already when they moved the campus to somewhere else sadly they didn't copy the way it used to be.

^ the one in Intramuros (Ateneo de Manila, Intramuros)

Ateneo de Manila Padre Faura Campus

Last edited by pinai; 05-14-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
This is how the UST main entrance used to be.

and after the WWII, this is the only one left in the main entrance.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
This is how the UST main entrance used to be.

and after the WWII, this is the only one left.
I don't know why they have to change the name of the school in English when it was originally named in Spanish and sounds much better in Espanol.
My Alma Mater also has a Spanish name as it was founded by Spanish nuns and our school hymn was written in Spanish. I would never want it to be called in English.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know why they have to change the name of the school in English when it was originally named in Spanish and sounds much better in Espanol.
My Alma Mater also has a Spanish name as it was founded by Spanish nuns and our school hymn was written in Spanish. I would never want it to be called in English.
I wish they just retain the original names. Here's Manila tourist guide during 1930's

Last edited by pinai; 05-14-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia