Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhairgfap View Post
Bangkok is not appealing as it has problems common in developing countries.
That's a pretty vague statement. It's fair for you to say that Bangkok might not be appealing for you personally, but it obviously has considerable appeal in that it attracts an enormous number of people annually for tourism and business. Can you be more specific about what kind of developing country problems you mean with specific regard to Bangkok? Just curious about your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:47 AM

59 posts, read 82,947 times
I think India would be great country to stay for 1 year and more than that..

Old 10-16-2014, 12:31 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,668,615 times
You mentioned women at some point so I'm assuming to want to form a relationship with someone while you're there. Usually I try to form a relationship first and then decide on the country to visit/live long term. At least that makes more sense to me than picking one arbitrarily.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually I think he said that people in China are not friendly.
Oh, then I disagree. Mainland chinese are some of the few humble and friendly chinese people I know.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Oh, then I disagree. Mainland chinese are some of the few humble and friendly chinese people I know.
Seriously? Which part of China do they come from?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Seriously? Which part of China do they come from?
Southern China (Guangzhou, Shenzhen) specifically the 3rd tier city Huizhou. Funny because I've been to HK, Singapore, Malaysia (in some cases) and Taiwan (chinese dominant countries) and these people from China are unexpectedly NOT like those countries I've mentioned, they are warm, friendly and hospitable.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Southern China (Guangzhou, Shenzhen) specifically the 3rd tier city Huizhou. Funny because I've been to HK, Singapore, Malaysia (in some cases) and Taiwan (chinese dominant countries) and these people from China are unexpectedly NOT like those countries I've mentioned, they are warm, friendly and hospitable.
Chinese people do not worship foreigners/westerners as much as South East Asians do, but I don't think they are really unfriendly. Very few Chinese are truly xenophobian. They don't care.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
If you could move to any Asian city to base yourself for a year which would you choose? I'm considering living in an Asian city for a year. I have a Internet based job + savings so I don't need a local job wherever I go. I'm on my first Asia trip now and visited Hong Kong (mainly b/c I have a friend there), Macau, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Of the 4 cities I've visited so far I would prefer Bangkok or Chiang Mai for a year of living. Wherever I base myself, I would still travel around to other parts of Asia during that year. I'm a 42 year old single male from the U.S.

Some other options:
-Singapore (would be expensive but could probably find a way to swing it)
-Tokyo or another Japanese city (would be expensive but could probably find a way to swing it)
-Seoul
-Taipei
-Bali (I know that is radically different from the above cities but I'm throwing all options)
-Saigon
-Kuala Lampour

Out of all the choices I'm leaning towards Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I really like the laid backness of Thailand, friendliness of the people, low cost, warm weather all year, and central location for cheap flights to other parts of Asia. Other wild cards that are very unlikely but thought I'd throw them out there for purposes of brainstorming... Jakarta, Cebu, Pusan, Penang. Did I miss anywhere? Thanks for your feedback!
For one year?
1) Chiang Mai
2) Singapore
3) Bangkok

Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 AM

125 posts, read 163,404 times
Tokyo.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
If you could move to any Asian city to base yourself for a year which would you choose? I'm considering living in an Asian city for a year. I have a Internet based job + savings so I don't need a local job wherever I go.
Most of the choices are really good options, but imo Taipei is the best choice. Low COL, excellent infrastructure, high QOL, and pretty women. Also quite centrally located to visiting the rest of the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia