Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 AM

120 posts, read 313,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Singapore is truly the least corrrupted country on the planet?

How is the health program there?
Hey, my price for research is reasonable. Would you like a quote on what I charge for something that you could easily look up ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
I'm not saying all Indians and Pakistanis are horrible. The ones In HK that pounce on tourists and try to either get them inside their shop or buy clothes are. I would see them while walking down the street and cross so as to avoid them. They would cross also and come up to me and start their sales pitch. Trying to ignore and avoid eye contact with them was useless. I noticed they left the Asians alone and concentrated on westerners.
Anyway, it was the only low point in my visit to HK. The rest was fabulous.
I used to ask them how they got work visas....as selling stuff on the streets is hardly a skill.......they didn't like their employment status being questioned and would stop talking to you.
At the time I was annoyed that I couldn't get a visa because I was a dependent
.... I quickly got used to being retired at 36

Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Are there new houses being built in Singapore? Any open land left?
Is the country liberal or conservative?
homosexuality is illegal, they edited the word 'gay' out of Sex and the city 2.......I'm saying Conservative.... very.

They do still build new houses, Sentosa had quite a few developments and as someone said you can apply to buy one as a non singaporean. I think you have to be Perm res but I am not sure. I did meet lots of people when I was there but not a single non singaporean who was successful in buying landed property.....

Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Which Asian country has the California like weather year round?
Lebanon and Turkey would have a similar climate. Like coastal California Beirut's summers are actually humid for being bone dry (like rainless), but it is much warmer than coastal CA.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I'm in Singapore right now. I actually love this city. I love Little India, Chinatown, Clark Quay, and across into Sentosa and Palawan Beaches, etc. A very interesting city. I could easily see myself living here longterm, if I had the kind of job that would allow that.

Downsides are that it is on the expensive side, especially if you want to go out in the evening and socialize with people and friends. (But, on the other hand, no more than Japan - but Japan's prices are certainly a downside to Japan as well, in an otherwise great country to live).

Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
homosexuality is illegal, they edited the word 'gay' out of Sex and the city 2.......I'm saying Conservative.... very.

They do still build new houses, Sentosa had quite a few developments and as someone said you can apply to buy one as a non singaporean. I think you have to be Perm res but I am not sure. I did meet lots of people when I was there but not a single non singaporean who was successful in buying landed property.....
So whats the penalty for being Gay?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post

New York is very liberal though.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
So whats the penalty for being Gay?
up to 2 years in prison.......for having sex..... no penalty (I don't think) for actually being gay, you just can't do anything about it....

LGBT culture in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only in 2007 was this law changed.....Oral or unnatural sex is an offence in Singapore, punishable with a life sentence, or up to ten years jail and/or a fine.

Mr Wang Says So: The Legal Complications of Oral Sex

Singapore legalises oral and anal sex but ban stays for homosexuals | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,987 times
Quote:
Singapore is truly the least corrrupted country on the planet?

How is the health program there?
Don't know how it compares to the US, but while my father was working there, my mother instead of seeing the optometrist here in Australia, waited until she visited my father because the optometrist and glasses were a lot cheaper.
And yes, Singapore is one of the least corrupted countries in the planet. They're a businessman's paradise; efficient & non-corrupt government, low taxes, great infrastructure, well positioned in the growing market of Asia, well educated population, etc.

The thing I loved most about Singapore was the politeness of the locals - when I first arrived, my father met my wife and myself at Changi airport and we all caught the train back to his apartment. While we were standing on the train, a local teenager who was with his friends not only offered, but insisted my father take his seat. I have never experienced that anywhere else in the world and yet that was within my first 15 minutes of being in Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia