Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 PM

750 posts, read 643,652 times

Advertisements

Tocino is pretty delicious imo. But certainly, Thai food for the win overall.

As a young guy I enjoy the Phi more mainly because Pinoys speak English and are similar culturally. Filipinos are like no other Asian people.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 AM

7 posts, read 12,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The food is better?
Well for me, yes! I'm not really into spicy foods and am not the adventurous type when it comes to dining, so personally, it's PI. Adobo, Cebu lechon, kare kare and their native sweets like that Goldilocks polvorone are ahh-mazing! Take a look at this list, although I never got to taste everything in here. Buzzfeed's 24 Delicious Filipino Foods by Melissa Harrison Mouthwatering!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:12 PM

391 posts, read 753,424 times
They are not really comparable.

Thailand is Asian and Philippines is American/Mexican/Spanish. You don't feel like you're in Asia when you're in the Philippines. You feel like you're in a poor version of the US.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
They are not really comparable.

Thailand is Asian and Philippines is American/Mexican/Spanish. You don't feel like you're in Asia when you're in the Philippines. You feel like you're in a poor version of the US.
There's definitely still a Southeast Asian vibe in the Philippines. It feels like a fusion of Thailand, Mexico, and the US (mostly in cities and large towns).

Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
There's definitely still a Southeast Asian vibe in the Philippines. It feels like a fusion of Thailand, Mexico, and the US (mostly in cities and large towns).
That's a better way to put it. I would agree with that.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:55 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
To illustrate that point

A Filipino fiesta. More Latin American vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g96cB4HzXc

A Filipino market. Typical Southeast Asian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6xmAX12Duk

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2015 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: 2 videos per post per the sticky

Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Malaya was a British colony, English was the medium of instruction in schools until the 1970s, and most Malaysians can speak English (most all native born Malaysians under 65 some basic English). I think unlike most countries though it might've regressed, especially as the nationalistic government tries to make more and more things Malay instead of English. Even in the smallest kampong you'll find people who speak fluent English ...
Quote:

So you think the English level in the PI is higher than Malaysia? Interesting. I haven't been to the Phils but can't compare. Which areas did you go to? In many areas there are a lot of foreigners.

I didn't realise English was so widely spoken in the Philippines but I'd be surprised if it's higher than Malaysia.

Malaysia has still a lot of British cultural heritage, much more than the Phillippines, but the Phils have the more recent American influence.
Guess what?!?! The Philippines was an AMERICAN colony ... and what do they speak in the US? (I think you know this already) ...

From my experience, English is indeed widely spoken in Malaysia ... but ... even more universal in the Philippines. That is why when I was in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK, so many of our crew members were Filipino/a.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:

Food is no contest. Malaysian is often considered among or the best cuisine in Southeast Asia. Along with Thai it just blows away Filipino food.
Thai cuisine is always one of the very tops in the world, along with French, Italian and Chinese. That is why here in my city of Philadelphia (city population 1.6 million in a Metro area of 6 million) we have one or two Filipino restaurants, two or three Malaysian restaurants, 50 or 60 Japanese restaurants and at least 100 Thai restaurants.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Guess what?!?! The Philippines was an AMERICAN colony ... and what do they speak in the US? (I think you know this already) ...

From my experience, English is indeed widely spoken in Malaysia ... but ... even more universal in the Philippines. That is why when I was in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK, so many of our crew members were Filipino/a.
But then again it was a Spanish colony for a lot longer time. While Spain brought a church the US brought schools and like other multi ethnic and linguistic countries like India, English spread and was accepted as a neutral language so in some provinces will be used more than the official language Filipino since that is the Tagalog's language with a politically correct name.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,309 times
Apart from language, Philippines is still way below the league of Thailand. Good country, friendly people, delicious cuisine and street food and more advanced infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia