Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM

134 posts, read 344,298 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have the opportunity to intern in Thailand for a few months this summer and I was wondering if people could comment on the social life of the following towns:Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya. Specifically, how would an introverted, caucasian teenager fair in these towns. Also, are there any major cultural and food differences between the three? thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 AM

149 posts, read 358,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
Hi, I have the opportunity to intern in Thailand for a few months this summer and I was wondering if people could comment on the social life of the following towns:Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya. Specifically, how would an introverted, caucasian teenager fair in these towns. Also, are there any major cultural and food differences between the three? thanks in advance
You will see plenty of white people in those areas-I believe Phuket is known for it's bar scene and sex industry. Thailand is a beautiful country, and one of the easiest for a westerner to get along in, in my opinion. People are generally a bit less intrusive than in other parts of Asia that I've been to.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Social life:

Phuket is filled with tourists all over the place...tons of them. Mostly for the beaches...socially, Phuket has a very large prostitution scene as well. Be careful socially, most of the women you think are interested in you, are actually going to charge you. On top of that, many of them are actually transgenders.

Chiang Mai is Thailand's second largest city, and probably has the most diversity of nightlife and things to do. Thai Boxing, etc.

Pattaya has a very very mediocre beach, and a very large sex/prostitution scene. If you go there, and try to do anything 'socially', you can almost guarantee with 99.5% certainty that the woman you meet is involved in the sex industry. Lots of transgendered there too.

Hope that helps. Tons of exceptions, but those are the scenes. If you wanted to meet a ton of tourists though, socially, Phuket is your best bet of the three. I mean, young tourists, most likely enjoying the beaches.

If I were you, I'd probably go for either Phuket or Chiang Mai or both...and skip Pattaya altogether.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Wow, thats very sobering to here Tiger Beer. I have no interest in prostitutes or being with other tourists for that matter. Chiang Mai sounds good though. What US cities would you compare Chiang Mai and Pattaya to?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,698 times
Chiang Mai sounds perfect. You will still see tourists but not the beer drinking prostitute hunting ones !! We loved Chiang Mai when we were there. A friend also recently did a thai massage school there for a month and had a great time. She went alone and met lots of people doing similar things or yoga workshops...

Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM

312 posts, read 910,354 times
I would go with Pattaya but that's just me.
I don't see thai ladies as prositutes really, well they are but they're not like American or European ones.
You pay them and they'll become your girlfriend, they don't cry when you penetrate them or just wants to get everything over with. They actually like what they do, so it's more of a win-win situation.

Chiang Mai sounds pretty cool too though, it's more real Thailand.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:02 PM

888 posts, read 1,592,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I would go with Pattaya but that's just me.
I don't see thai ladies as prositutes really, well they are but they're not like American or European ones.
You pay them and they'll become your girlfriend, they don't cry when you penetrate them or just wants to get everything over with. They actually like what they do, so it's more of a win-win situation.

Chiang Mai sounds pretty cool too though, it's more real Thailand.
A nice way to say, they are better actors. Friend of mine just came back from Chiang Mai, and he was doing just that for over 6 months.. having "girlfriends" Now he's in the local hospital at least for the next two weeks, most definitely has hepatitis. Always glad to have friends who travel around the world and bring some "souvenirs" with them.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM

Why is sex tourism such a big thing in Thailand?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Also, what cities would u recommend I look in if I want to see the "real" thailand. Tbh, the internship in Phuket is very enticing, but I wouldn't want to anywhere touristy and ESPECIALLY not anywhere expensive(I am a student after all).

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Also, what cities would u recommend I look in if I want to see the "real" thailand. Tbh, the internship in Phuket is very enticing, but I wouldn't want to anywhere touristy and ESPECIALLY not anywhere expensive(I am a student after all).
ALL of THAILAND is incredibly touristy. You'll see tourists absolutely everywhere. Some people go to take a 'tour of the villages' thinking it'll get them away from toursits in Thailand...but you'll be with 100s of other tourists poking around people's homes even there. Thailand is the most tourist-friendly and touristic-centric place on earth.

If you want to avoid tourists..Thailand is the LAST place that should be on anyone's list. The Philippines has 7000+ islands and almost no tourists.

I believe Bangkok is always at the very top of the list for the most international tourists arriving and departing well above anywhere else in Asia. Unavoidable.

Phuket is filled with starbucks and pretty much every tourist-loving amenity that exists on the planet. That being said, it is still a very nice place

Unfortunately, sex tourism is something that will be absolutely everywhere in Thailand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia