Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If there's a car crash most people would stand and gawk. So then most people have psychological perversions...
I've been to Tondo many years ago, but it might come as a disappointment for you as you don't need any automatic rifles there.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Hahaha... Then Manila is not where you want to go. Try Zamboanga City if you want AK-47 in action.
I regret not trying out the machine gun at the Cu chi tunnels in Vietnam when i was there.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If there's a car crash most people would stand and gawk. So then most people have psychological perversions...
Those are normal reaction pretty normal, what isn't normal is your bias towards Philippines...

Just accept the fact that there are a lot of things we are better than our neighbors, vice-versa, they also have lots of advantages in many aspects than us....

Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
Since this topic was first posted the U.S. dollar has strengthened dramatically. I would imagine that it is even more of a bargain now to stay in Thailand vs. the Philippines as we approach 2015.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:29 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've been to both countries and I think they are both wonderful. I even met Imelda Marcos once (that was in New York's Waldorf Astoria hotel ... but that's another story.)

One thing about Filipinos, as a former member of the Royal Merchant Navy (of the UK) I can say that they make excellent seamen. Many commercial ships sailing all over the world have Filipino/a crew members.

Thailand can be proud of it's glorious culture and heritage. It has incredibly amazing architecture exemplified by it's gorgeous Buddhist temples, shrines, palaces, monuments, villas, etc. which gives the place a kind of splendor that vou don't see much in the world.

Whereas the Philippines was colonized - first by the Spanish, then by the Americans - Thailand always maintained their independence. In fact most east Asian countries were under colonial rule: Vietnam (the French), Burma (the English), Indonesia (the Dutch), Cambodia and Laos (the French), India and Pakistan (the English), Malaysia and Singapore (the English), Macau (the Portuguese), Hong Kong (the English) ... yet Thailand never succumbed. Interesting.

the reason why Thailand was never colonized is not because they fought European colonizers but because of geography. Thailand was sandwiched between the French Indo-China in the east and British Burma/India in the west. It just became a buffer state, just like what the Russians want to do with Ukraine.

Even if the British would like to annex them, the French in the east would not allow them because they would be face to face with an enemy already or the British would have more territories than them or vice versa

they were just like lucky. even then the Japanese didn't respect their independence during WWII because they know they would not fight. Only the Philippines and Burma had guerillas fighting the Japanese

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the reason why Thailand was never colonized is not because they fought European colonizers but because of geography. Thailand was sandwiched between the French Indo-China in the east and British Burma/India in the west. It just became a buffer state, just like what the Russians want to do with Ukraine.

Even if the British would like to annex them, the French in the east would not allow them because they would be face to face with an enemy already or the British would have more territories than them or vice versa

they were just like lucky. even then the Japanese didn't respect their independence during WWII because they know they would not fight. Only the Philippines and Burma had guerillas fighting the Japanese
Its ability to exist has something to do with that, but it wasn't just pure luck. There are plenty, and I mean plenty, examples of the colonial era where rival powers were very happy to partition a place fully without a buffer state.

Thailand had a strong unitary government and lucked out on having at least somewhat capable rulers (pretty hard to get several decent ones in a row if your governmental system is a monarchy) who were pretty quick at striking bargains and making reforms.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:09 AM

7 posts, read 12,166 times
Thailand and the PI both have incredible beaches and couldn't compare them as the two have lovely, features and distinct vibe. Definitely Koh Samui and Koh Pangan in Thailand, and Boracay and Calaguas in the PI. For dental treatments, Thailand is a more popular choice for dental holidays. I've had my dental treatments at Thantakit International and was very happy, especially with my implant. The place caters to expats and communicating with them was never a problem. Were never pushy in upselling, gentle in handling my dental case and were very polite. Love the food in the PI though.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyandsunny View Post
Thailand and the PI both have incredible beaches and couldn't compare them as the two have lovely, features and distinct vibe. Definitely Koh Samui and Koh Pangan in Thailand, and Boracay and Calaguas in the PI. For dental treatments, Thailand is a more popular choice for dental holidays. I've had my dental treatments at Thantakit International and was very happy, especially with my implant. The place caters to expats and communicating with them was never a problem. Were never pushy in upselling, gentle in handling my dental case and were very polite. Love the food in the PI though.
The food is better?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,716 times
I went on a 14 day cruise to the Caribbean. Going down to the dining room are waiter was from the Philippines the most beautiful women I ever seen and we hit it off big together and exchange email.I sent her few emails no answer back.
Philippines speak English very well anyway.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM
HKT

27 posts, read 46,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The food is better?
Only if you like Jollibees and adobo. There's a reason there aren't Philippine restaurants world wide and there's a reason every country has plenty of Thai food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia