Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM

90 posts, read 87,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolly7 View Post
You have a lot of religious people. They don't really live by their religion. Hypocrisy runs ramped. Kindness to your fellow man does not exist if you are from another state. Also in Hot Springs you can get methamphetamines or a prostitute which would you like? It is very common to see toothless drug addicts tweeking all over the place in public. Love thy neighbor only exists if the neighbor has something that you want or they can take advantage of. Other than the extreme natural beauty the residents of Arkansas or atleast in this area leave much to be desired. This area is not a place to move if you are young or seeking employment. It is a tourist/retirement town with very limited job offerings. With the limited amount of jobs and the current population the employers tend to be more abusive toward employees do to the ease of replacement.
I can't imagine that the thought "let's move to Arkansas" would ever enter a person's mind. It just isn't something that would happen for a well functioning adult brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetair View Post
I can't imagine that the thought "let's move to Arkansas" would ever enter a person's mind. It just isn't something that would happen for a well functioning adult brain.
well I guess there are a whole lot of really none functioning brains because the state (in some areas) is doing quite well. Now, I have no idea where you live, but I bet some might say the same thing about anywhere. I suspect you have never even been to AR.

Nita

Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
There is a lot of meth in Arkansas.

And there are fake religious people in Arkansas. I've learned while living here that if a business uses the word 'Christian' anywhere in its name or self-description, RUN as fast as you can from it. Religion is either a business ploy or a mere hobby for many, many Arkansans.

So there, lolly, I've joined you in griping a bit about Arkansas. But I still like the state, particularly the central part of it. If you're having a hard time living in Hot Springs, move elsewhere. Hot Springs isn't going to change for you. It's a sad, grim reality, but it is reality nonetheless. Life is too short to spend it in misery in a place that makes you unhappy.

Best wishes.
Of course, for the most part you do have a point, but can't this be said about many places, not just AR, I think the use of "Christian" business is as common in several states as in AR, maybe more so. We have found most people in this state to be on the religious side, but "not in your face" and are quite sincere. Again, I can only base this on the areas I have traveled to and where I live, not everywhere...

Nita

Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,399,541 times
WOW!!! For many, many years I thought I was very happy with Arkansas in general and Hot Springs and Little Rock in particular, but after reading some of those negative posts I'm beginning to wonder. Should I move away? Can someone tell me where to find the "land of milk and honey" or the city of "utopia"? I didn't realize I was so unhappy here! What should I do?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM

697 posts, read 1,779,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetair View Post
This is the exact kind of ignorant statement that comes from people not familiar with the state. It's about as logical and avoiding Utah because "everyone there are polygamists" or Iowa because "all there is are corn fields". Uninformed statements based off stereotypes that have nothing to do with the quality of life in the state.

Arkansas has been ranked the 10th best public school system in the US. (The Best & Worst Public School Systems in the U.S. - WalletPop) Arkansas has been growing steadily in the last decade, with NWA representing the 6th fastest growing metro in the US as of the last census, and Little Rock representing another rapidly growing area. It is one of the states with the highest volume of people moving "to" the state (Where is everyone moving? - MSN Real Estate). Arkansas has over 37 two or four year colleges, including nationally recognized ones like the University of Arkansas and Hendrix College. Arkansas has been attracting high paying tech and green companies and facilities, including Southwest Power Pool, Mitsubishi, Beckmann Volmer, Hewlett Packard, and Nordex just to name a few from the last two years. This has helped earn Little Rock the title of "4th Strongest US Metro Economy" (Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR - BusinessWeek) and Northwest Arkansas as the "4th Best Place for Business and Careers" (Best Places For Business And Careers: #4 Fayetteville AR - Forbes.com). We're also proud of our expansive state parks system, and the numerous city parks systems and trails throughout the state. Couple that with a low cost of living and low crime rate in most areas, and you have the recipe for a good quality of life.

I'm sorry, but your definition of a well functioning adult brain must not include those that look at objective facts and quality of life (which I believe would qualify as basic logic, a necessary component of a well functioning brain) before considering where to move.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
WOW!!! For many, many years I thought I was very happy with Arkansas in general and Hot Springs and Little Rock in particular, but after reading some of those negative posts I'm beginning to wonder. Should I move away? Can someone tell me where to find the "land of milk and honey" or the city of "utopia"? I didn't realize I was so unhappy here! What should I do?
Jane MO. it has been mentioned..

Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
This is the exact kind of ignorant statement that comes from people not familiar with the state. It's about as logical and avoiding Utah because "everyone there are polygamists" or Iowa because "all there is are corn fields". Uninformed statements based off stereotypes that have nothing to do with the quality of life in the state.

Arkansas has been ranked the 10th best public school system in the US. (The Best & Worst Public School Systems in the U.S. - WalletPop) Arkansas has been growing steadily in the last decade, with NWA representing the 6th fastest growing metro in the US as of the last census, and Little Rock representing another rapidly growing area. It is one of the states with the highest volume of people moving "to" the state (Where is everyone moving? - MSN Real Estate). Arkansas has over 37 two or four year colleges, including nationally recognized ones like the University of Arkansas and Hendrix College. Arkansas has been attracting high paying tech and green companies and facilities, including Southwest Power Pool, Mitsubishi, Beckmann Volmer, Hewlett Packard, and Nordex just to name a few from the last two years. This has helped earn Little Rock the title of "4th Strongest US Metro Economy" (Forty Strongest U.S. Metro Economies: Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR - BusinessWeek) and Northwest Arkansas as the "4th Best Place for Business and Careers" (Best Places For Business And Careers: #4 Fayetteville AR - Forbes.com). We're also proud of our expansive state parks system, and the numerous city parks systems and trails throughout the state. Couple that with a low cost of living and low crime rate in most areas, and you have the recipe for a good quality of life.

I'm sorry, but your definition of a well functioning adult brain must not include those that look at objective facts and quality of life (which I believe would qualify as basic logic, a necessary component of a well functioning brain) before considering where to move.
Funny you would say that, I almost mentioned Utah as well. People who have never lived in or know little about a state love to give their opinions. It is interesting???

Of course we all know everyone in places like AR marry their cousins, have kids at 9 years old, wear overalls in the summer but never wear shoes, even in the winter. We think the front yard landscaping consists of old cars and ice boxes (I bet some on here don't even remember ice boxes) actually, I barely do.. Of course AR is a rural state and many of us would like to see it remain that was, with some growth of course. We can see the growth in NWA and yes, to some degree Little Rock as you mentioned. Business is good, rural living is as well. But, let's make it clear to people with ignorant comments, rural living doesn't mean a lack of intelligecnce, it doesn't mean everyone is a redneck.

Now for all those who can't see anything except a hillybilly life style here, if I am not mistaken we had a Pres, not too long ago from our state and another very viable candidate last election from here.

Nita

Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM

697 posts, read 1,779,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now for all those who can't see anything except a hillybilly life style here, if I am not mistaken we had a Pres, not too long ago from our state and another very viable candidate last election from here.

Nita
You mean a major part of their campaign platforms wasn't to legalize marrying cousins and outlawing anything smaller than an F-250 pickup? Maybe our friend jetair misunderstood that.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,399,541 times
Also, don't forget we have some of the most fertile women in the US of A; "19 [or is it 20?] kids and counting"!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

437 posts, read 932,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I believe they are opening a meth themed amusement park in Jasper County, Missouri. Some guy in an old Chevy Pickup at the Jane, MO Walmart told me this at 3:30 one morning. He was more than enthusiastic.
well that explains it he drives a CHEVY no wonder...he wants to spread his misery....and i will say i was in my history class and she had a map of USA and it showed MO to be southern...MO doesnt have to have southern influence to be southern...ppl from the south dont have to have bad hair, wear overalls, rotting teeth, and illiterate (or w/e) to be southern.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas