Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaura View Post
You know when I was 24 years old I worked with a girl when I was back home. She was very nice and was from Alaska. She was telling me she lived in Arkansas for a while and the cost of living was great. I told her I would like to see it sometimes. She told me that Arkansas is nice but to watch out, The people were kind of dumb down there. I have been here in Arkansas for years now, and yes the cost of living is great. The people here in Arkansas take a bit to get use too as in my opinion are a little more closed minded than the rest of the nation.
and from what I have seen, the people in Alaska would be similar. This is not a put down to anyone from Alaska, but a complement. Whenever you get into a rural setting you will get a certain amount of closed mindedness. I don't know where you live in AR, Here in NWA this is anything but the way people think.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and from what I have seen, the people in Alaska would be similar. This is not a put down to anyone from Alaska, but a complement. Whenever you get into a rural setting you will get a certain amount of closed mindedness. I don't know where you live in AR, Here in NWA this is anything but the way people think.

Nita

I dearly hope you aren't referring to our local celeb and quitter as an example of Alaskans. Ugh I would hate to be thought of in the same vein as her.
This is an interesting topic as I, too, grew up in Alaska but lived in Fayetteville for 14 years. I really really loved Fayetteville and miss it, and it is different to me in a lot of ways but I have lived in three states and they all have their unique characteristics, both positive and negative but not necessarily good or bad. Every place has something special to offer. I miss the spring and fall in Fayetteville, the Lights of the Ozarks, and the old houses.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
However you are correct in that many Alaskans are very fixed in their mindsets, especially about politics....

Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,138 times
Quote:
You know when I was 24 years old I worked with a girl when I was back home. She was very nice and was from Alaska. She was telling me she lived in Arkansas for a while and the cost of living was great. I told her I would like to see it sometimes. She told me that Arkansas is nice but to watch out, The people were kind of dumb down there. I have been here in Arkansas for years now, and yes the cost of living is great. The people here in Arkansas take a bit to get use too as in my opinion are a little more closed minded than the rest of the nation.
Sarah Palin.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM

20 posts, read 54,177 times
I do have to admit that the South does have a great stronghold of conservative values and I do appreciate that however I am not putting down anyone who sees things differently.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
However you are correct in that many Alaskans are very fixed in their mindsets, especially about politics....
When I was a kid my dad's friend was over visiting and saying how he ( and his wife) loved living in Alaska due to a construction project.

His wife said........." everyone I encountered who moved here did so cuz they couldn't get along with anyone where they came from "

Maybe a little truth to that.

They left Alaska when the project was completed.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,211,024 times
Quote:
The people here in Arkansas take a bit to get use too as in my opinion are a little more closed minded than the rest of the nation.
Thank ya!

I 'preciate ya!

Ya'll tell Ms. Pelosi hi for us all now...ya hear?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
I have been here in Arkansas for years now, and yes the cost of living is great. The people here in Arkansas take a bit to get use too as in my opinion are a little more closed minded than the rest of the nation.
This and your "location" beg the question of why you've lived theree for years if you find it to be "yuk?"

Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM

20 posts, read 54,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
This and your "location" beg the question of why you've lived there for years if you find it to be "yuk?"
I believe what I already answered that question with my last post. Also you need lots of money these days. It definitely isn't the people. They are not even that nice. Only if you see them on the street or they want something. If they want something they are great.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
I believe what I already answered that question with my last post. Also you need lots of money these days. It definitely isn't the people. They are not even that nice. Only if you see them on the street or they want something. If they want something they are great.
Somewhere along the line I must have missed the answer but as a left coaster who has lived in a total of nine states, seven of them southern, and three other countries, I find the people of the Ozarks to be delightful, genuine and welcoiming. I appreciate their values.

I hope you find yourself in a place that "fits," sooner rather than later. I'm also well aware of the expense of a major move, have had a 2,000 mile one and home purchase a bit less than a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas