Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 02:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
outsider looking in or insider looking out: makes no difference; you see it the way you do, but most do not. The days of white racism for the most part is gone and it is the groups like BLM that is stirring up the pot. Of course there are still racists, on both sides I will add. I was a victim or racism, reverse racism I will add. It almost cost me my job about 20 years ago. I will let it go with that, but please don't get the idea, it is all one sided.

Oh the system favors whites: tell that to Asian kids and white kids who do not get into certain colleges and universities because preference is given to blacks. What about the proportion of black families to white families with single parents: is this the fault of whites? Of course not: what about the kids who are taught early in life not to respect authority be it teachers, police or leaders? Who's fault is that?

Let me clarify one thing as long as you want to let us know you are not black or white. I am not a racists either: we are a family very mixed. No, we do not have any blacks in our family but we have Jews, Hispanics, fundamental religious members, agnostics, and we have a lesbian foster daughter. So I am not judging anyone: I am telling it like it is and at my age I have been around enough to know what I am talking about.
The days of white racism for the most part are gone....what does this mean? Do you think racism doesn't happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 03:09 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
outsider looking in or insider looking out: makes no difference; you see it the way you do, but most do not. The days of white racism for the most part is gone and it is the groups like BLM that is stirring up the pot. Of course there are still racists, on both sides I will add. I was a victim or racism, reverse racism I will add. It almost cost me my job about 20 years ago. I will let it go with that, but please don't get the idea, it is all one sided.

Oh the system favors whites: tell that to Asian kids and white kids who do not get into certain colleges and universities because preference is given to blacks. What about the proportion of black families to white families with single parents: is this the fault of whites? Of course not: what about the kids who are taught early in life not to respect authority be it teachers, police or leaders? Who's fault is that?

Let me clarify one thing as long as you want to let us know you are not black or white. I am not a racists either: we are a family very mixed. No, we do not have any blacks in our family but we have Jews, Hispanics, fundamental religious members, agnostics, and we have a lesbian foster daughter. So I am not judging anyone: I am telling it like it is and at my age I have been around enough to know what I am talking about.
Heres the problem. I was talking about what is systemic, youre talking about yourself.

Most people dont see it my way? Yeah, in Arkansas Im sure thats a true statement. Where I come from (Los Angeles via Houston) things are different because we have racial and ethnic diversity. If you come from Northwest Arkansas, racial diversity is few and far between. I don’t say that as a slight to that area. I know it’s a beautiful area with many amazing people, but that is a statistical fact.

The fact that you refer to BLM as "stirring up the pot" shows that my initial point was correct. The way people are commenting on this thread is akin to opinions held in Mississippi during the Civil Rights movement when northern "agitators". People thought the murder of Civil Rights activists registering black people to vote was a hoax perpetrated by communists. The rhetoric in this thread has been identical.

And yeah, youre right that Asians have been just as much a benefactor of the lack of affirmative action as whites. But Im not even for affirmative action and I never addressed it.

Being a cop by itself isnt a reason to be respected. I do respect most cops, but not all cops are worthy of it. I want to believe most costs are good, but too many videos keep surfacing of them doing things that (according to conservatives) almost never happen like beating up people for no good reason. Cops have a difficult job and deal with a$$holes all day, but they know that going in. If you cant handle it with grace and impartiality, get out!

I really dont care what most people "think". I care about data and I care about history. The statistics and history show that there is a systemic element to it.

1) Wealth is created through ownership. It wasnt until the 80s that practices like redlining, making it harder for black people to get loans, and outright destruction of black owned properties finally went away. They had to work much harder to get on the same economic level than whites or even my people (the Arabs). That is inseparable for why black poverty has been a much bigger issue than for whites.

2) Black people have far less trust in the police because they are far more likely to be the victims of an a$$beating from the police. Black people are 130% more likely to be killed by the police while being unarmed. The other thing is that levels of violent crime and black population do not determine the likelihood of being the victim of police brutality. Oklahoma City has the highest police brutality rate in the country despite it having average crime and black population rates.

3) 78% of police shootings where the police were charged with a crime ended up being acquitted.

4) If youre black, youre more likely to serve prison time for lesser offenses and get lengthier prison sentences for the same crimes vs. white counterparts.

Basically, BLM exists for a reason and it isnt simply to inconvenience life in Northwest Arkansas. Frankly, this country doesnt value black lives to the same degree as white ones. That is statistically and historically sound. White people inevitably cringe and the first defense is "Im not racist". Well, we werent talking about you. Were talking about what is embedded in the system. Thats why BLM is here. I dont agree with all their ideas and tactics, but I do agree that meaningful change needs to happen.

And separate antifa from BLM. Not the same thing at all. Antifa has caused nothing positive, BLM has.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Looks like the SJW's found this thread, and have begun to brigade it. Expect things to go downhill from here, until the SJW's either find, or create a reason to lock or remove it. That is how it always happens, when the adults try to have a civil discussion about a serious local subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Some one please tell me this was just a joke and those were paid actors right? There can't still be people like that in a modern developed country in one spot. There is simply no way.
No, it wasn't a joke, but the guy holding the sign was. And he was the only paid actor, paid to hold the sign and record for three days. (Maybe longer.) Afterwards he went through and found the dozen people in three days (or longer) who were verbally abusive, and posted those dozen people to YouTube. Look at the background, the weather and sky throughout the video. It is pretty obvious.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Heres the problem. I was talking about what is systemic, youre talking about yourself.

Most people dont see it my way? Yeah, in Arkansas Im sure thats a true statement. Where I come from (Los Angeles via Houston) things are different because we have racial and ethnic diversity. If you come from Northwest Arkansas, racial diversity is few and far between. I don’t say that as a slight to that area. I know it’s a beautiful area with many amazing people, but that is a statistical fact.

The fact that you refer to BLM as "stirring up the pot" shows that my initial point was correct. The way people are commenting on this thread is akin to opinions held in Mississippi during the Civil Rights movement when northern "agitators". People thought the murder of Civil Rights activists registering black people to vote was a hoax perpetrated by communists. The rhetoric in this thread has been identical.

And yeah, youre right that Asians have been just as much a benefactor of the lack of affirmative action as whites. But Im not even for affirmative action and I never addressed it.

Being a cop by itself isnt a reason to be respected. I do respect most cops, but not all cops are worthy of it. I want to believe most costs are good, but too many videos keep surfacing of them doing things that (according to conservatives) almost never happen like beating up people for no good reason. Cops have a difficult job and deal with a$$holes all day, but they know that going in. If you cant handle it with grace and impartiality, get out!

I really dont care what most people "think". I care about data and I care about history. The statistics and history show that there is a systemic element to it.

1) Wealth is created through ownership. It wasnt until the 80s that practices like redlining, making it harder for black people to get loans, and outright destruction of black owned properties finally went away. They had to work much harder to get on the same economic level than whites or even my people (the Arabs). That is inseparable for why black poverty has been a much bigger issue than for whites.

2) Black people have far less trust in the police because they are far more likely to be the victims of an a$$beating from the police. Black people are 130% more likely to be killed by the police while being unarmed. The other thing is that levels of violent crime and black population do not determine the likelihood of being the victim of police brutality. Oklahoma City has the highest police brutality rate in the country despite it having average crime and black population rates.

3) 78% of police shootings where the police were charged with a crime ended up being acquitted.

4) If youre black, youre more likely to serve prison time for lesser offenses and get lengthier prison sentences for the same crimes vs. white counterparts.

Basically, BLM exists for a reason and it isnt simply to inconvenience life in Northwest Arkansas. Frankly, this country doesnt value black lives to the same degree as white ones. That is statistically and historically sound. White people inevitably cringe and the first defense is "Im not racist". Well, we werent talking about you. Were talking about what is embedded in the system. Thats why BLM is here. I dont agree with all their ideas and tactics, but I do agree that meaningful change needs to happen.

And separate antifa from BLM. Not the same thing at all. Antifa has caused nothing positive, BLM has.
I do care about what people think. Perception is a key part of the events that are happening. I look at the statistics and I see the evidence that you've described. I listen to people like Nita, who is a wonderful, generous and kind lady, and I get that she sees a world where so much progress has been made, and who is horrified by the violence that has been a by-product of the protests.

What I think about is a world where people have to prepare their children to be discriminated against. Not because it always happens, but because there is always the possibility of it happening. I think about a world where you don't get the job you applied for, and you wonder if race played a role. You don't get the loan you applied for. You don't get the house you put in a bid for. You don't get the promotion. At some point you have to wonder if racism is prevalent in all these situations, or are you the unluckiest person alive? That's not a good place to be.

And then when someone tells you that race isn't an issue anymore, Racism may still happen in isolated incidents, but not to any significant degree. Then you think about all these things, all the denials, and it's a WTF moment. It's frustrating because there is a degree of uncertainty, not all these things can be racism, but at the same time, some of them may be. And you want your perceptions to be validated. And the people denying the racism want their perceptions to be validated, and suddenly there isn't any middle ground, the middle ground has been eaten away.

I think that both sides need to listen to one another, and be open to the possibility that the other's perceptions might just be right. Because that's the only way we are going to find a middle ground, And that middle ground is where the solutions are.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:05 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Some one please tell me this was just a joke and those were paid actors right? There can't still be people like that in a modern developed country in one spot. There is simply no way.
No kidding, it would've been so much more entertaining had he went into a black community and held a sign saying white lives matter.

But then we would've never seen the video.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Looks like the SJW's found this thread, and have begun to brigade it. Expect things to go downhill from here, until the SJW's either find, or create a reason to lock or remove it. That is how it always happens, when the adults try to have a civil discussion about a serious local subject.
They've been triggered and are probably shaking right now.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The days of white racism for the most part are gone....what does this mean? Do you think racism doesn't happen?
Not really

Old 09-14-2020, 07:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Well, there's Northwest Arkansas then there's northwest Arkansas.
The metropolitan area known as Northwest Arkansas might be a lot more diverse than you think.
It's not a part of the world I'd personally live in, but race relations do not seem to be the most pressing issue there. If I were a minority, it might be on a short list of places to move in order to just live my life in peace and get away from the weird obsessive madness seen in other parts of the country.
Harrison, many miles to the east off by itself, isn't a place I'd move to in that situation, but it couldn't be as bad as living in one of our current war zones.

As for BLM and related issues...
It's more complicated. It's easy to assume systemic racism and police brutality looking at simple data.
However, I'm not so sure the police feel free to be more trigger-happy just because they're chasing or apprehending a black guy.
In fact, I refuse to think that's the issue here. That logic lacks common sense, especially concerning any police-involved shooting that's happened since Minneapolis.
At some point, a healthy dose of introspection needs to come into play from those who think the police are out to get them. It's a two-way street. Respect needs to be able to flow both ways before any more progress can be made.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

No, it wasn't a joke, but the guy holding the sign was. And he was the only paid actor, paid to hold the sign and record for three days. (Maybe longer.) Afterwards he went through and found the dozen people in three days (or longer) who were verbally abusive, and posted those dozen people to YouTube. Look at the background, the weather and sky throughout the video. It is pretty obvious.
That is still terrible. Had it been over a three month period maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Still pretty bad though.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
That is still terrible. Had it been over a three month period maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Still pretty bad though.
Yeah terrible.
Sure.

Can you find me one busy intersection, anywhere that wouldn't
have at least ten idiots driving through it in a day's time?

Thought Not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas