Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times

Advertisements

I am surprised no one else has posted this yet.

Arizona Teachers With Accents and Ethnic Study Banned (http://digg.com/d31Pudv - broken link)

Quote:
The Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.
Makes sense to me, if you can't speak English correctly, how can you be expected to teach it?

Last edited by KarmaPhx; 05-01-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
How can the students understand what is being taught? Those teachers need to work on getting rid of their heavy accent so their students understand them, same thing if an American teacher would go to France and not be able to speak French very well. DUH.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:27 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

Makes sense to me, if you can't speak English correctly, how can you be expected to teach it?
Makes perfect sense to me, KarmaPhx.

Being an English Major, I am appalled at the blatant errors, both written and spoken, made by individuals claiming to be educated.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How can the students understand what is being taught? Those teachers need to work on getting rid of their heavy accent so their students understand them, same thing if an American teacher would go to France and not be able to speak French very well. DUH.
Yes it is such a huge problem that we need a state law for it. Don't you think this is an issue that should be left to principals, school boards and not the state legislature? How about science teachers who don't know anything about the periodic table? Or sports coaches who never played the sport? No law for them?

This is just more Mod Cut: legislation from the reactionaries that run this state these days. There is a real race to the bottom going on in the Republican party. The State school superintendent is vying for the Republican nomination. In this state, you have to win over a polarized base to get to the ballot in November. All of them, even McCain, are trying to outdo each other to see who can put down the Hispanics and the poor and the teachers and schools and everyone else the "base" loves to Mod cut dislike to get nominated. Bad mouthing anything Hispanic scores big political points in Arizona these days.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 05-02-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
I have taken college courses where the professor has had such a strong accent, and made so many grammatical mistakes, we all had a hard time following along with lectures, which severly effected our grades and capability of learning the material.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,297 times
So it's not real English, even if it's a man like Andrei Codrescu?

Who decides when the accent is too "heavy" or "ungrammatical?"

If someone has a thick southern drawl, or maybe a heavy New England accent, will they be rejected as English teachers? What if they are from the UK? Do we need to adopt a L'Académie française type body to establish standards on English, despite the near impossibility of reigning in language successfully without near totalitarian enthusiasm?

Being able to speak the language and teach the concepts correctly is one thing. Banning accents? Well I suppose we better cut most of the foreign language teachers from our schools, because most of those that I've had possessed horrible accents in the language they were teaching. Or is that acceptable because it's not our national tongue? Are we allowed to teach those incorrectly? How about math teachers with horrible handwriting...even if they are fantastic teachers and highly successful...but some of us can't read their equations!

You want improved laws restricted illegal immigration then we can have a fair debate. This? This is simply stupid.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 PM

121 posts, read 175,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

Arizona Teachers With Accents and Ethnic Study Banned (http://digg.com/d31Pudv - broken link)

Sounds fair to me. I remember when my son was going to Central Mich. University years ago. A professor he had had a very small grasp on the English language. You would think if you had English speaking students, you'd want professors that could at least speak the language well enough to make known to his students what the hell he was trying to conveigh...... But no......I imagine the university had a quota of foreigners they were required to hire.....Only a guess.......

Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
So I guess a Brooklynite can't teach there or a New Englander , there accents would be to heavy to understand. Arizona seems to be slipping into the Category of Stupid states

Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
Arizona is showing what kind of state it really is with all this nuttiness as of late.

Don't the state legislators realize that we ALL have accents, it's relative. If someone from Arizona goes to Georgia, guess who has the "accent" then.

Teaching student with teacher cloans who are uniform and all sound the same does NOT prepare them for the real world. It only encourages them to see that there is only one "right" way of doing things.

I think Arizona is one big mess abd I just hope the that foolishness that is being legilated there stays there.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So I guess a Brooklynite can't teach there or a New Englander , there accents would be to heavy to understand. Arizona seems to be slipping into the Category of Stupid states
You think it's stupid to allow someone who can't communicate or be understood be responsible for educating people?

I'm lucky - I grew up overseas and know people from all over the world. I can understand accents easily. But I know a lot of people who got absolutely nothing out of courses they paid for (and need to understand). That's not fair, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona