Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,924,722 times

Advertisements

But it should be done at the school level, with clear, concise steps for parents to follow if the individual school does not correct the situation. (Steps within the school system that will actually bring results.) Again, who is to decide what "heavy" exactly means? Who is to decide if one accent is easier to understand than another? I believe schools need to evaluate their teachers throughout the school year(s) to ensure the children are learning. Yes, it is a problem if the students cannot learn because they cannot understand their teacher's accent. However, there can also be issues if the teacher doesn't talk loud enough, mumbles, is unable to regularly express ideas clearly and on the students' level, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,458,028 times
Could they also please enlarge this law to include telephone customer service reps?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,745,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Could they also please enlarge this law to include telephone customer service reps?
Wouldn't that be great, Gandalara?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Where does it say it specifically targets teachers brought here to teach in Spanish?
<<<In the 1990s, Arizona hired hundreds of teachers whose first language was Spanish as part of a broad bilingual-education program. Many were recruited from Latin America.>>>

I copied and pasted this from the article. It's in the tanned section in the article a ways down the page. It went on to say that this was changed in 2000 though. What I wonder is why are they bringing this up NOW? Just trying to blacken our eyes some more? Grrrrrrrrr....

Ooops. Sorry I misunderstood your question. Thought you were wanting to know when they were recruited not targeted. I need a nap!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,368,248 times
Eveyone in the world has an accent.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:43 PM

50 posts, read 57,082 times
Any parent, teacher, or counselor will tell you that students are expected to do all they can to bring their very best to the classroom. What are the students to do when they indeed do bring their very best, but then are saddled with teachers who aren't able to present their lessons properly because of a language barrier?

Isn't it possible that teachers with built-in language barriers aren't bringing their very best to their students? Communication should be at the highest level in a classroom atmosphere.

Should the teacher who continually is unable to be clearly understood be allowed to continue to teach? Conversely, should a student be allowed to fail a class, when it has been verified that the teacher is actually the problem?

Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFl0wer View Post
Any parent, teacher, or counselor will tell you that students are expected to do all they can to bring their very best to the classroom. What are the students to do when they indeed do bring their very best, but then are saddled with teachers who aren't able to present their lessons properly because of a language barrier?

Isn't it possible that teachers with built-in language barriers aren't bringing their very best to their students? Communication should be at the highest level in a classroom atmosphere.

Should the teacher who continually is unable to be clearly understood be allowed to continue to teach? Conversely, should a student be allowed to fail a class, when it has been verified that the teacher is actually the problem?
That is fine and rational. But again I ask why is it necessary to have a state law that focuses on a single incompetency? It is the responsibility of school administrators to evaluate teacher performance and get rid of those who don't pass muster. I fail to understand why the legislature, few if any of whom are experienced educators, is getting involved in this rather narrow issue other than to promote their anti-Hispanic biases.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I am surprised no one else has posted this yet.

Arizona Teachers With Accents and Ethnic Study Banned (http://digg.com/d31Pudv - broken link)

Makes sense to me, if you can't speak English correctly, how can you be expected to teach it?
is that for real cause there are some teachers at the college with real heavy accents and there are still there.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:23 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is fine and rational. But again I ask why is it necessary to have a state law that focuses on a single incompetency? It is the responsibility of school administrators to evaluate teacher performance and get rid of those who don't pass muster. I fail to understand why the legislature, few if any of whom are experienced educators, is getting involved in this rather narrow issue other than to promote their anti-Hispanic biases.
Also they interviewed these teachers...why now? And in what geographic areas in the state are they teaching? And when hiring an English teacher would they hire someone who is not proficient in the language grammatically?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Who decides when an accent is too heavy, and what criteria do they use? I've seen many native English speaking teachers that could not correct spelling and grammar errors. More reactionary xenophobia is not the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona