Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM

31 posts, read 201,827 times

Advertisements

We are researching potential places to relocate in 2008. Snowflake and surrounding area is on my list of possibles. We would be looking for a mfg. home on a couple acres in a horse friendly area as we have animals, something under 200k. I assume most of these properties are on private wells, what is the water situation? How deep are the wells, any restriction on water use? I also note that most of AZ has been in drought for a number of years recently. We are currently in the high desert in So. Cal with drought now most years and water is getting to be a problem so don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire by moving somewhere that drought is getting worse. Does the Snowflake area still have a 4 season climate which we like. Is a 4 wheel drive necessary to get around in winter? Any major downside for retirement age people looking for quiet rural lifestyle? Is shopping in Snowflake or Show Low sufficient? Thanks, Sue-z

Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
You're not going to find much shopping in Snowflake except groceries. You will need to go to Show Low for shopping. Snowflake is a beautiful area. I haven't been there for a while, but when I was there we had some snow but it melted by noon or so. As for the water, the water is good, just make sure they dig the well deep enough. I can't remember how far down they have to go, but I know our well wasn't deep enough and we were getting surface water and wasn't very good.
Snowflake should be wonderful for you. If you're just wanting nice quiet rural Arizona living, Snowflake should be right up your alley!
The funny thing about Snowflake when we move there...
We couldn't remember where we ahd heard the name Snowflake. Then, one night after we had bought some property and was trying to fix our hom up, we decided to sleep in the bed of my husbands pickup. That night we talked about it and remembered where we heard Snowflake. Do you remember the movie Fire in the Sky? Apparent true story about an alien abduction? Snowflake is where it took place LMBO. So needless to say, sleeping in the bed of a truck, miles from city lights etc, you can see millions of stars (BEAUTIFUL). I layed there most of the night thinking every star was moving UFO, "what's that?" "is that one" etc...LMBO.
Enjoy!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,778 times
My husband used to work there, and we have friends there, so maybe I can help!

There aren't any water restrictions, and most people out there are on wells w/out a problem. We get snow in the winter, some rain, and than rain again during the "monsoon season" in August.

It does have four seasons, but it doesn't get as much snow as Show Low and Pinetop.

For shopping, Snowflake/Taylor is growing, but you'll still probably end up in Show Low. Snowflake has a market as well as a natural foods market, some resturants, etc, and they are building a Walmart. For movies, Super WM, and Home Depot, you need to go to Show Low and Pinetop.

Depending on the road to your home/land, you may need 4wd. It certainly is a bonus

Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Default What about the people there?

I considered a move to Snowflake and even went there looking for property a couple of years ago. I seemed a little desolate and "prairie-like" to me with few trees and a lot of wind. But I could probably adjust to that. I did get concerned about the LDS influence in the town, though. I don't want to start a debate, but what would life be like for non-LDS people there who have no intention of ever signing on? You hear stories that people are shunned, no one will play with their kids, etc. Do those of you who live there think this is true and something that ought to be factored into a decision about living in Snowflake?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,778 times
It is true to an extent. My husband taught at a school there, and yes, some of that goes on. You won't be "shunned", but maybe not welcomed with open arms by that part of the commuity; though it depends. I made friends with a great LDS family, and our faith (lack of) was never an issue. Many of my husband's students were not LDS.

If you are looking at homesteading, there are a few types of people that live in Snowflake and "out east", as it's called (east of Snowflake). LDS homesteaders, hippie type homesteaders, militia type homesteaders, and just homesteaders. I know quite a few old hippies that live out that way.

It is windy and prairie-like, but there are also some really pretty area.

Show Low and Pinetop are prettier, but way pricey. If you go out toward St. John's/Concho, there is still cheap land, and not a heavy LDS influence...but there are more problems that way, like meth.

HTH

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 157,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue-z View Post
We are researching potential places to relocate in 2008. Snowflake and surrounding area is on my list of possibles. We would be looking for a mfg. home on a couple acres in a horse friendly area as we have animals, something under 200k. I assume most of these properties are on private wells, what is the water situation? How deep are the wells, any restriction on water use? I also note that most of AZ has been in drought for a number of years recently. We are currently in the high desert in So. Cal with drought now most years and water is getting to be a problem so don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire by moving somewhere that drought is getting worse. Does the Snowflake area still have a 4 season climate which we like. Is a 4 wheel drive necessary to get around in winter? Any major downside for retirement age people looking for quiet rural lifestyle? Is shopping in Snowflake or Show Low sufficient? Thanks, Sue-z
There is a Wal-Mart coming to Taylor and there is a Super Wal-Mart on the S side of Showlow across from one of the best Hospitals in Arizona.
There is also a K-mart on the west end of Show Low.
I would recommend a 4X4 as there normally isn't that much snow but when it decides to do it it can be very heavy.
The worst year on record that I can remember of was about 1977 and in Pinetop 35 - 45 miles south of Snowflake and at about 6,500 ft there was 13 - 18 feet of snow on the level ground and thew roof of the only market in that area at that time caved in under the weight of it, but those are few, but the snow in Snowflake and Holbrook (30 miles N @ 5,080 ft was 5 feet deep) that was a very bad year. Most years there is 12 to 16 in max at any one time, but it can be icy under it is why I recommend 4X4.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 46,928 times
Default Living in Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue-z View Post

I live in Snowflake, have been here for nearly 8 years. I believe Snowflake will fit your needs as far as horse friendly, mfg. home on a couple of acres, affordable, retirement, quiet rural lifestyle, and 4 seasons. Shopping is limited, but Show Low is only 20 minutes away and it has most of what you need. There are quite a few retired people here, and not all of them are LDS, as someone had said on another thread. We have people from all over the country moving in.

We are in a drought and it is not pretty. The wells are still drawing water, but if things don't turn around soon I wouldn't be counting on it. At this point a well at 250 feet is good, but to be safe I would go 450. We have the states largest aquafer under us and it is good, clean water. The snows and rains to replenish it quickly, so if we get a couple of good wet seasons we will be fine. The Navajo Nation, just north of us is completely out of water, those people are hauling water, have been for about a year. PRAY FOR RAIN!!

Knowing that no one can control the weather, I might look elsewhere. Even though I'd like to steer you in the direction of Snowflake, its a very nice place to live.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,033 times
We are in in the process of moving to Show Low, we were initially enticed by the low cost of land in Snow Flake and it is nice, but it has brushy trees rather than tall pines....we prefer tall pines and chose Show Low. It is more costly, but there is land with modular homes in the $100k to $200k range with city utilities. If you are coming from Cali, I'd say that would sound affordable to you. Shopping is much better in Show Low too: Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, JC Penneys, Safeway, LOTS of dollar stores and lots of little shops, restaurants and bars (so much for LDS). Rent first, get a feel for what you like, then buy....there is a lot for sale that has been for sale for quite a while, ride out the market, you'll find what's right for you sooner or later. LDS is more prevalent in Snow Flake, but who cares really? I'm spiritual unto myself, if they don't like me, it's probably just as well. I have my own life, my own family, and my own values, I'm perfectly content with that and wouldn't even begin to think I needed religious approval from a neighbor....yuck!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,551 times
Thumbs up We enjoy snowflake!!

Snowflake is an enjoyable place to live, we moved from out of state and have lived here for nearly 2 years now. Our kids love it and enjoy the atmosphere. They have many friends. We live about 3 miles from town and that is just perfect for us. Maintained paved road, city limits, great neighbors. We moved out here to give our kids a better way of life, better air, and to be less stressed!! It has been less stressed thats for sure, more time for our kids and to pay attention to detail. We live on 2.5 acres and have a manufactured home 3/2. Plenty of room for Horses/animals. Want to grow your own garden? We were looking into selling so we can move to another parcel we have nearby. With the economy we thought we would hold off. We enjoy the four seasons snowflake has and we feel very blessed to be where we are at. Its great to have such wonderful neighbors you can trust. Its hard to come by. It is a quiet place to be with many family gatherings throughout the year, especially christmas time. 4th of July is fun too with the rodeos and the corn sales. If you love corn, you have come to the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona