Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,749 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Snowflake. Can anyone tell me how bad the winters are? We're thinking that because it's the mid-west that any significant snow fall would not hang around too long. Is this a safe assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,288 times
Default The name of the place says all you need to know

Maybe you haven't been out West, but out here anyplace over 5000 feet high will get snow and be cold in the Winter.

Check out this link for the details.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Snowflake-Arizona.html

Old 09-03-2006, 03:38 PM

21 posts, read 133,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthouse View Post
My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Snowflake. Can anyone tell me how bad the winters are? We're thinking that because it's the mid-west that any significant snow fall would not hang around too long. Is this a safe assumption?
Hi,
The winters in Snowflake are not too bad. The roads tend to get black ice (a thin sheet of ice that you can't even see........but it's there) and driving can be a bit dangerous at times. But compared to winters in the midwest or back east, Snowflake is not even close. They've been known to get up to 3 or 4 feet of snow in a weekend, but it's melted and gone within 4 or 5 days. (Does leave a mucky mess though if you live out on one of the many, many dirt roads). An abundance of sunshine and it is so beautiful there. Summers are heaven!!!!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM

9 posts, read 46,918 times
I live in Snowflake, have been here for seven years. It is really nice weather wise, except for the wind. (the wind blows from about Feb. 'til May, frequently up to 40 mph with strong gusts). We have a joke, we feel like we can't breath unless we are being force fed our air. A 20 mph wind is a light breeze.

We do get snow, but it melts off the next day or so. Its not like living in a "winter wonderland". We have tons of sunshine and blue skies. The air is fresh and the town is clean.

The only thing I would like here that we don't have is mountain views. If you're looking for a great place to raise kids, Snowflake/Taylor would be hard to beat. But as far as entertainment, you'd best like being outdoors, there's not much else to do.

People are VERY family oriented, almost to a fault, its hard to make new friends because of it sometimes. Although most everyone is friendly. Many times while at the grocery store there will be conversations between all the checkout lines. You can pretty much break into anyone's conversation and it is not considered rude. I have even seen people stop their pickup trucks on the highway to have a conversation. Yes, I said "pickup trucks". This is a "cowboy town" lots of cattle, horses and livestock.

There are a lot of "self sufficient" folks here. And many that just want to be left alone, but that's okay with everyone.

Anyway, I have never regretted moving here, except for the lack of shopping, but with the internet, I've found everything I've ever been looking for. LOL

All in all, a nice small town to raise your kids in, but not a lot of jobs, but plenty of opportunity for those that want to be their own boss.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
We lived in Snowflake briefly almost 12 years ago, but due to my father's health condidtion we came back to Bullhead City. My middle son was born in Showlow (no hospitals in Snowflake or Holbrook). I LOVE Snowflake. I remember a weird snow flurry. HUGE snowflakes, not hardly cold at all and snow was gone by noon the nest day. Snowflake is awesome. The only REAL piece of advice for living there, make sure when you go to the stores etc, you make it known that you actually live there. When we were there, we noticed as long as everyone KNEW we were locals everything was good. Seemed like they didn't like outsiders much. At that time they were trying to keep all of the industry out etc and just really didn't care for people that didn't really belong there. As I said, make sure they know you live there and you will NEVER MEET BETTER PEOPLE!
Although the entire town is pretty religious overall several churches, everything closed on Sunday etc. the primary religion there is Seventh Day adeventists.
We were thinking about going back there, but we're going to Texas instead to be closer to hubby's family.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:27 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
Default Snowflake is home to a Mormon Temple

Good morning! I believe the predominant church in the Snowflake area is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, often referred to as Mormon Church. The second temple in Arizona was constructed there several years ago. The town is expected to attract a large number of Mormon retirees, who often do volunteer work in the temples. I am not aware of a large presence of Seventh Day Adventist Congregations in the area, at least not to the extent that they would be dominating local government, school boards, etc. There are all sorts of mainstream Christian churches in the area; I am not sure about how many Jewish or Muslim congregations are active in the area but there may be some. I do not live there; I just happened to be reading the post! Check out the town website for more information about the history of the community: www.ci.snowflake.az.us Good luck with your move!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:56 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
Sorry, that was my mistake. Yes it IS dominated by Church of Christ Mormons. I said the wrong thing. Sorry! Don't know what I was thinking. It was late that night when I wrote the reply...lol

Old 01-14-2007, 04:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I believe Navapache Medical Center is in ShoLo and the hospital of the area, in White Mountains. And alot of those little communities are Mormon. I worked on the reservations there nearby, and stayed there for a time. Can't beat the beauty there!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,272 times
Smile Hoping to Move to Snowflake,AZ

To Snowflake residents my husband & I are looking to move to AZ in the new 5 months. I was doing research about your town. I see that the Mormon temple is there and a lot of Mormon families. How many wards or branches are there. What type of faculties does the town have to offer? Does anyone know if there are rent to own homes? We would love any information about your home town. We live in WV and go to a small branch only about 25 active members.
thanks
wvfibrofog

Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 AM

220 posts, read 648,748 times
Snowflake is gorgeous. The winters are fairly mild if you are used to back east or mid west. What snow they do get melts off within a few days.
The poster that mentioned the wind hit the nail on the head. The whole county nearly blows away that time of year.
There isn't a whole lot of shopping in snowflake but there is talk of a new Walmart in Taylor. And if it doesn't happen Show Low is less than 30 minutes away. Show Low offers a bit more than Walmart as well. Penny's and Sears also have stores there.
But Good Luck to you if you aren't LDS living in any of those communities along HWY 277.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona