Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,394 times

Advertisements

We are an elderly couple considering moving to the Snowflake-Taylor area and are confused about the amount of snow they get. “Climate” shows they get an average of 17.8" a year but the “Snow Graph” on City-data.com shows over 18" just for March and over 65" Dec. through March. That is way too much for us to contend with. Does anyone know what the snowfall really is and does it melt between snows or stay on the ground all winter?

This discrepancy makes us also wonder about winter temperatures. Are winter lows normally 15 or higher or are below zero temperatures fairly common occurrences?

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,098,706 times
When I lived in Pinetop (which is higher than Snowflake-Taylor) the lowest it ever got one winter was about 2 degrees F. I know it has gotten colder than that recently. Usually in a regular snowstorm we would get about a 6-12", but it would clear up and melt off before the next. Every now and again, you will get one good storm that might dump as much as 3 feet or more, but again, it would melt off after a week or so. I don't know that the snow sticks around all winter long at all, unless up in the even higher country. The lowest temps usually usually come right after one of those snowstorms come through once the skies clear; that makes the lows lower, but the highs higher, subsequently melting the snow.

Mind you my above observations were for Pinetop, Snowflake and Taylor being lower in elevation, you should expect even more temperate type of weather.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
I couldn't do it. They get enough to be a hassle. Why retire in the snow? Do you love the white stuff? I think Payson would be better if you do, not as much but enough if you like it.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,394 times
Thanks for the information. Yes, Snowflake-Taylor is a lot lower and a LOT less snow so I would think it would be milder.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 AM

7,191 posts, read 9,256,395 times
If you can why not visit the area in January? There may be less snow than the Show Low - Pinetop area but less trees too. Not sure but I think the wind chill is more of a factor. Both are pretty cold to me in Jan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona