Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is (opps - was) a hiker here the other day who "won't ever do it again"
Uh-oh, that doesnt sound good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,704,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I've never heard a turkey come out of the oven and say "at least it was dry heat"
best reply ever.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM

572 posts, read 2,487,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
best reply ever.
I have to agree with that also. Best ever reply

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,656,011 times
The good news about "dry heat" is that you never have to shovel it!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM

58 posts, read 189,075 times
Yes, sticking your head in the oven is also a dry heat..hardly comfortable. A summer breeze in AZ is is like turning a blowdryer on your face.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM

422 posts, read 1,272,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverock View Post
Yes, sticking your head in the oven is also a dry heat..hardly comfortable. A summer breeze in AZ is is like turning a blowdryer on your face.
Here we go again.....sigh....another dry heat thread OP probably meant well but opened up the door to more silly comments.

1. The blowdryer experiment - point the dryer 6 in. from your face set the blower on high for 5 minutes and keep it steady. Then proceed to go outside and compare.

2. The oven experiment - set you oven to the lowest setting and get inside, make sure you close the door. Stay there for five minutes. When you had enough go outside and compare.

Now, I wonder if in the colder climates we also have posts that mirror our dry heat posts. (I didn't check)

1. (a) Arizona is the only state where I burned myself on the steering wheel and the seat. (resolution: steering wheel/seat covers, sunshades etc.)
(b) Alaska is the only state where my fingers, ears and feet got frostbit while shoveling snow. (resolution: gloves, hats and snowshoes)

Do you get my point? Have you seen any posts where people complain about getting snow inside of their tennis shoes? Or comparing a blizzard to LN2 blowing in their face? I doubt it, since it sounds ridiculous.

What I am trying to say is that if you live in a cold or hot climate you take different precautions to protect yourself against the extremes, right?

Living in AZ is not any different. It is the desert, heat and low precipitation is expected. Appreciate it for what it is and if it's too much for you to deal with find a better place to live or vacation elsewhere etc.

PS: The above experiments are for parody only, I do not encourage anyone to participate in them. Do not try this at home

Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM

557 posts, read 1,676,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Here we go again.....sigh....another dry heat thread OP probably meant well but opened up the door to more silly comments.

1. (a) Arizona is the only state where I burned myself on the steering wheel and the seat. (resolution: steering wheel/seat covers, sunshades etc.)
Ummmm, dude, back in the day when I lived there, there WERE *no* sunshades for cars, dig?? You cracked your windows and put towels on your steering wheel and vinyl seat. Even then, it was miserable to get in the car.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

307 posts, read 954,570 times
Default Turkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
To me heat is heat. I like it below 90. Preferably mid 70's to mid 80's.
I've never heard a turkey come out of the oven and say "at least it was dry heat"
I'm sorry?

What does a turkey have to do with a post about this individual saying he likes the dry heat?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,791,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Arizona is the ONLY place I have ever lived where it got so d*mn hot that I had to put towels over my steering wheel and seat so I wouldn't burn my hands and *ss when I got in the car.
Leave your car in the sun in Miami for a while...
(I don't use a towel or anything though... I love the burn!!! )

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,354,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post

1. The blowdryer experiment - point the dryer 6 in. from your face set the blower on high for 5 minutes and keep it steady. Then proceed to go outside and compare.

2. The oven experiment - set you oven to the lowest setting and get inside, make sure you close the door. Stay there for five minutes. When you had enough go outside and compare.

Now, I wonder if in the colder climates we also have posts that mirror our dry heat posts. (I didn't check)

(b) Alaska is the only state where my fingers, ears and feet got frostbit while shoveling snow. (resolution: gloves, hats and snowshoes)

Do you get my point? Have you seen any posts where people complain about getting snow inside of their tennis shoes? Or comparing a blizzard to LN2 blowing in their face? I doubt it, since it sounds ridiculous.

What I am trying to say is that if you live in a cold or hot climate you take different precautions to protect yourself against the extremes, right?

Living in AZ is not any different. It is the desert, heat and low precipitation is expected. Appreciate it for what it is and if it's too much for you to deal with find a better place to live or vacation elsewhere etc.

PS: The above experiments are for parody only, I do not encourage anyone to participate in them. Do not try this at home

Oops! Too late... already tried the blowdryer experiment... and my eyebrows started smoking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: