Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have recently been thinking of a move to Arizona. Single father, two teenage kids, carpenter/craftsman. A friend of mine is from Tuscon and he really loves it there. I was thinking of Prescott Valley or something like that.

What I'm asking for is the honest opinion of people who have lived there and know about the places.

In Prescott/Prescott Valley/Chino Valley:
I have heard good news about quite a bit of this area on homes in prescott valley and chino valley. I've heard that it has 'nice' communities and such but the jobs are going slow.
But I have also heard that it is corrupt, and 'conversative redneck'.
(I live in North Dallas Area so I've seen my fair share of both conservative and 'redneck'. In the McKinney/Frisco areas they're extremely stuck up and conservative, and the poorer sections have a lot of rednecks.)
How conservative redneck are we talking here, because I'm also born and raised New York (christian, democratic) and I'm not sure I could stand another town that's too rightwing.

I don't want to go very far south.

Are there any other suburb communities that I should look at?
(I don't want to live in the city)

If anyone knows a good place I might be looking for, comments both bad and good about would be much appreciated.

Thank you for all your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
Stay put. It's getting more crowded here and I don't want anyone taking my opportunites from me. Hah! Just do it!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 PM

47 posts, read 231,999 times
I worked summers at the Campfire camp and Prescott has grown a lot since that time. It has a nice downtime area and the county courthouse. Prescott Valley and Chino Valley are also high growth area. In my opinon I do not see it as a conservative redneck community or rightwing. Prescott is home to Embry Riddle and Yavapi College so some higher education. NAU (my alum) also has some classes there.

Prescott's physical location to Phoenix (about 1 1/2 hours) and its higher elevation (cooler) have helped in its growth. With teenagers, I would prefer Prescott to Phoenix (to big/crime) and also to Tucson.

From what I understand, Prescott has become somewhat pricey of an area to live.

You may look at Show Low, there has been a lot of building there due to the fires they had in 02. I would place it more right wing though than Prescott. But again, my personal opinon.

Hope this helps, if only a little!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Hello, Upstate - I guess the answer to your question is going to depend on who you ask. Personally, I see both conservative and liberal politics here. Of course each side thinks there's too many of the other.

Prescott is pretty pricey, but again, that depends on what you're looking for and what you're used to. Get beyond Prescott and the prices will be about 15% - 25% lower for a similar home in Precott Valley or Chino Valley. Here lately, though, I've been seeing homes in Prescott sell for quite a bit less than they would have a year and a half ago.

As far as jobs, generally not plentiful, but my family hasn't hadn't any trouble finding adequate employment. New home construction, especially tract homes has really slowed. However, high end custom homes are still being built. My son does tile work and he's been keeping busy. It seems that there's just as much demand for craftsmen now as ever, but not so much demand for production type construction labor. There's also a ton of commercial construction going on, too.

Hope this bit of info helps. Definitely more of a "small town community" atmosphere here than what you'll find in Phoenix or Tucson. And the schools here are all ranked quite high, with a couple getting the "excelling" rating.

Last edited by Gretchen B; 11-02-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate of Mind View Post
Hello,

I have recently been thinking of a move to Arizona. Single father, two teenage kids, carpenter/craftsman. A friend of mine is from Tuscon and he really loves it there. I was thinking of Prescott Valley or something like that.

What I'm asking for is the honest opinion of people who have lived there and know about the places.

I have heard good news about quite a bit of this area on homes in prescott valley and chino valley. I've heard that it has 'nice' communities and such but the jobs are going slow.
(I live in North Dallas Area so I've seen my fair share of both conservative and 'redneck'. In the McKinney/Frisco areas they're extremely stuck up and conservative, and the poorer sections have a lot of rednecks.)
How conservative redneck are we talking here, because I'm also born and raised New York (christian, democratic) and I'm not sure I could stand another town that's too rightwing.

I don't want to go very far south.

Are there any other suburb communities that I should look at?
(I don't want to live in the city)

If anyone knows a good place I might be looking for, comments both bad and good about would be much appreciated.

Thank you for all your help in advance

There's lots of Native Americans in those parts, I doubt they are redneck corrupt conservatives. Just stay out of the South east.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 71,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate of Mind View Post
Hello,

My honest opinions...

Arizona is a Red state. Unfortunately there are plenty Rednecks and Conservatives here. But there are also many people like yourself who are moving here and changing this.

Prescott is overpriced and full of halfway houses and drug rehabs. Many people come here for recovery and never leave. The charm of the downtown area wears off quickly.

Chino Valley seems very anti-growth and is a difficult commute. If you don't like rednecks, don't consider Chino Valley.

Prescott Valley is affordable and pro-growth and will overshadow Prescott soon.

Everyone complains that jobs in the Prescott area are hard to come by, but I had 4 job offers at once when I moved here and my wife is now making more money here in the Prescott area that she ever has in her life. If you are skilled, intelligent and presentable you should have no problem finding a job.

It all depends on what you need and what you can put up with. I could never live in Texas myself. I do sometimes find the Prescott area frustrating having lived in Michgan most of my life. But the weather here is great!

Try to take a long vaction here and if you do move rent before you buy so that you're not stuck if you decide you don't like it.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM

63 posts, read 217,943 times
I've been all over Arizona, used to live in Phoenix and Tucson. For quality of living you might like the general Prescott or Flagstaff areas but be prepared for a lot of winter in Flagstaff, at 6000-plus ft. elevation, less in Prescott at 5000; even less in surrounding areas. Phoenix is L.A. duplicated and HOT and traffic-and people-congested.. Tucson is smaller but with a lot of sprawl, not too bad in summer (100-106 or so) and more job opportunities than Flag. or Presc. Geographically, Ariz. is beautiful in many areas, esp. north and east, but very hoit in summer at lower elevations.
Small towns can be a problem; you would have to check with a realtor and the locals. Some of them may have serious drug and/or gang and/or redneck issues. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona