Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,123 times

Advertisements

my husband just got a job working for Phelps Dodge in Morenci, he likes it alot, really good pay and his work schedule is awesome, the only thing that sucks is the waiting list for the housing, they told us it would be 8mths to a yr before we get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,297 times
Quote:
LOL, I am sorry but I have to laugh. I am a native Arizonan and lived in the area for a good part of my life. First Morenci and Clifton are dumps. Nasty and dirty. You won't find housing, there is none. Child care is non existent as well. Besides a bar, a dirt boweling alley and a tiny grocery store selling rotten fruit your not going to find much else up there. You'll find that the mine will boom for a short time, get in trouble with the gov for polluting again and close down in about 5 years, it happened in the early 80's and is bound to happen again.
\

Funkypioneer...you really hate this part of AZ dont you.

On the Safford thread you had nothing good to say about the area, and here you put down Clifton/ Morenci and especially the mines.
You may not care for the mines but they have brought new opportunoty and an economic boon to this area. And they have been here for many, many years and have never "shut down" there have been strikes and drawdowns, but if the global economy continues as it is going (China, India) than copper will be a viable product for years to come.
You for some reason have a very negitive view toward this area.

I know there is not much in the C/M area but the town is growing and more will come in.

BBunker...for a beautiful area try York valley...very country, lovely fields and river, and red bluffs around.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,577 times
Default housing??

is the housing really hard to find in morenci??

Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,339 times
First of all, the Phelps Dodge mine was bought out by Freeport McMoran and if you do research on this company, it is very large and prosperous with mines in 20 something countries. The past couple of years this town has really started to change. There are hundreds of BRAND NEW houses, or trailers, going up paid for by the mine. (Of course you work for the mine to get one.) If you work for the mine you will be put on the housing list and rent isn't over $300 dollars anywhere there. It IS really small. There are only basic necessities- grocery store, schools, hospital, theater, bowling alley, couple restaurants and some gas stations. Right now the mine is rehiring, planning on building more and they seem to pay employees very well. If you can stand not doing anything during the week, you can take the money you will save on rent and frivolous items and go on many vacations and shop elsewhere. It pretty much evens out. The health and life insurance benefits are great. And the old neighborhoods may be hideous but crime is pretty low and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Especially up the trail.
My husband works there, makes fabulous money, but my children and I live 400 miles away. He will be receiving a pay compensation for having to live away from us until our house is built and we can more than afford to drive back and forth to see one another.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBunker View Post
Moving to area in march looking to rent and looking for employment. Any ideas??
I know the big thing in Morenci is the mine. Many people that work there actually live in the Safford/Thatcher area. I don't know if you have to move to Clifton or Morenci, but I would recommend Safford or Thatcher (I think it is like an hour away.. can't remember). Other than that advice, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwyo View Post
I would recommend the west side of the valley. It is really booming. If you move to the west side of the valley I would recommend Buckeye, Avondale, Goodyear, Glendale. I currently live in Laveen. It's a great location if you need to commute to the west or east side of the valley.
Morenci is no anwhere near this area, lol.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,052 times
Morenci is great. Basha's is fresh, Movie is cheap but current, pool is free, kids are safe to walk and ride bikes. schools are excellent. Housing is cheap but nice (even old neighborhoods) What more can you ask for

Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

Morenci is no anwhere near this area, lol.
The poster brought that up because those cities are listed in the keyword section of the thread after the title.... it looks like the keyword list is a little off, I don't think the OP is actually asking about anything other than Clifton or Morenci.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM

deleted.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
My Dad grew up in Morenci in the 30's and 40's and always talked about the PS ranch in the area, any idea where it was? He would like his ashes spread there. Thank You

Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungtree View Post
My Dad grew up in Morenci in the 30's and 40's and always talked about the PS ranch in the area, any idea where it was? He would like his ashes spread there. Thank You
I did a little google searching around... If you don't get any help here, perhaps contact the Greenlee County library or planning and zoning dept or assessor's office. I'll bet you will find someone who knows where it is/was. I have a friend who worked for the mines there years ago, I need to touch base with him anyway, I'll ask him if he knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona