Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 PM

861 posts, read 2,193,511 times

Advertisements

Funkypioneer...I hope your wrong, and I understand your concern, I came here 33 years ago as a 12 year old kid and have some of the same memories. Crawdads out of the canals, hunting rabbits where homes are now, pretty laid back area. But nothing stays the same and hopefully there are bright days ahead for this valley.

I really hope you are wrong, as I am sure you probably hope so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 PM

One of the things that concerns me as much as anything is the huge scar that I am afraid will be left on the Gilas. They say it wont take the mountains down, but time will tell.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 32,370 times
FunkyPioneer.

If you're trying to dissuade people from moving to Safford - perhaps an attempt to keep the Safford population down - you write a very effective ad.

Though being pessimistic about Safford's future, I would ponder being pessimistic about your 'family values'. Have you ever sat your family down and asked them why they care so little about the literal destruction of our land and ecology? My guess is they would simply answer, 'money'. Seems there are so many 'migrating' toward the motto, 'anything for a buck'! How sad.

Anyway, since the actions of the mine personnel go far beyond immoral, I hope you can find a way to persuade your family members to provide 'practical' input to their peers to provide a bit more 'moral fiber' in their decisions and mining practices - especially those in the engineering division.

Al R.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 AM

Additionally, I was somewhat frightened by the comments of all the new building and proposals going on in Safford. I am wanting to 'escape' Phoenix because of the 'out of control Rat Race'. Safford seems ideal just the way it is. I'm very concerned that, should I move there, it will be a short amount of time before Safford is simply another 'Phoenix' in the making.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong in this assessment. But what I read had that 'out of control' feeling I've witnessed over the years here in Phoenix.

I even found myself breathing more fully in my two visits to Safford (there for two days each time). Now, it sounds as though mining may contaminate the air quality. I have to say I'm having second (and third) thoughts about moving there.

Your notes are appreciated. The comments may not be 'pretty' - but I strongly appreciate your honest appraisals of the area.

Al R.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM

82 posts, read 371,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_R View Post
FunkyPioneer.

If you're trying to dissuade people from moving to Safford - perhaps an attempt to keep the Safford population down - you write a very effective ad.

Though being pessimistic about Safford's future, I would ponder being pessimistic about your 'family values'. Have you ever sat your family down and asked them why they care so little about the literal destruction of our land and ecology? My guess is they would simply answer, 'money'. Seems there are so many 'migrating' toward the motto, 'anything for a buck'! How sad.

Anyway, since the actions of the mine personnel go far beyond immoral, I hope you can find a way to persuade your family members to provide 'practical' input to their peers to provide a bit more 'moral fiber' in their decisions and mining practices - especially those in the engineering division.

Al R.
When the mine was Phelps Dodge, it was different, not great but at least they had some integrity, not that its been bought out by Freeport McMoRan. Which has very questionable at best ethics. My relatives have zero say in what goes on at the mine. They just know what they were told, if there were better jobs to be had I know they would leave. They have to feed their family, they don't want to live their homes that they have been in for 50 year, YKWIM?

Before the mine went in I would say hey move there its a nice place to grow up and a fantastic place to raise kids(although there really not much to do there, LOL). Now I would recommend proceeding with extreme caution. I can't stop the growth, LOL, but maybe I can save a couple people from taking a job with the mine that they may not have in 6 month or living there and getting ill from the inevitable ground water polution that comes with the mines.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 PM

73 posts, read 330,356 times
Default Safford

Al,
I don't think you're going to have to worry about Safford becoming the next Gilbert or Mesa in size within your lifetime or my lifetime. We've talked on the phone before. Safford is growing and yes, there are negatives and positives with the growth, but I would take their traffic over the traffic here any day. The stress level down there is so much less than up here too. Some of the negatives about growth are the areas I used to go hunting are becoming condos, and cotton fields are disappearing. But I think the growth will settle in the next few years once the mine becomes stable.

We're going down there for Christmas for about a week. If you want an official tour then, let me know. As far as the mine pollution, I hear it isn't going to be like Morenci and that you wont be able to see it, but I'm not sure. With Al Gore preaching his global warming and everybody being so "green", I have a hard time believing that the mine will be allowed to pollute the drinking water, especailly with all the regulations there are. Plus, I understand Safford's drinking water comes from Frye Mesa, in a totally opposite direction of the mine.

Since I graduated from Thatcher high in 1993, a lot has changed. In the 33 years my parents have lived there, many things have changed. In the next few years, it will continue to change, but from what I hear the mine will only be good for 15-20 years max and without jobs, people wont continue to move there.

Another area you should look at is Silver City NM. I have a brother going to school there. You should check out the postings about that area.

Tad

Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM

Hi Azgolfer ..

Glad to hear from you again. And thank you for refreshing the element of negativity placed on that gem of a town.

In my first comment in this forum I listed those things that appeal to me most - and the kind of things I like to do. I enjoy the idea of 'there's nothing to do there' ... that's exactly what I want! I know there are several areas to go shooting - a few places to go fishing - many areas to go riding a Kawasaki Mule - places to go swimming - hot springs to relax in ... who could ask for more.

I would really like to take you up on your offer of the 'tour'. On your Christmas trip I don't want to interfere with your visiting with your folks. However, what would you say to you and I going there for two (or three) days (when you have the time)? I'll drive and cover the fuel cost. I could bring a few rifles and you could show me some shooting areas in the desert (you would LOVE my Rem. 700 VLS (.308). What I would really appreciate, however, is an 'informed appraisal' of the area - good areas or not-so-good areas. Some of those 'hidden details' that you are aware of would be great to absorb.

I'll give you a call in the next few days. I'm assuming you have the same phone number (ends with ...927). If it's different, please email me - ablique (at sign) cox.net.

Could be a fun trip

Chat soon,

Al

Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 AM

AL_R

In spite of the Nattering Nabobs of Negitivism and what they have to say about Safford...it has been, still is, and will remain a good place to live. I believe the growth will bring in amenities that are so needed, (shopping,restuarants, etc) and yet will not comprimise the small town quality of life we enjoy.
We are living in a differant era than it was years ago and the mines do not have a free hand to pollute and degrade environments as they once did.
There are plenty of things to do here. No...not malls and amusement parks and such like, but this morning my 14 year old daughter and I are headed out Oak Draw area to explore and maybe shoot some quail, next week if the weather is alright we are planning on fishing for smallmouth.
We have a great County and great people, and great views and all the things that folks like you who are not enamored by the big city fast life would love.
Its funny...I have lived other places , but I have never lived in a place that I love like Safford, I walk in my bank and they know my name, I go hunting with my insurence agent, at the diners they know what I usually eat, at the corner store if by some chance I forget my wallet, they say just come back and pay later...this is the kind of place Safford is. Of course as the Bible says (and I am paraphrasing here) if you want friends you must show yourself friendly.

Anyway as you can see I am a big fan of Safford.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM

82 posts, read 371,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGOLFER View Post
Al,
I don't think you're going to have to worry about Safford becoming the next Gilbert or Mesa in size within your lifetime or my lifetime. We've talked on the phone before. Safford is growing and yes, there are negatives and positives with the growth, but I would take their traffic over the traffic here any day. The stress level down there is so much less than up here too. Some of the negatives about growth are the areas I used to go hunting are becoming condos, and cotton fields are disappearing. But I think the growth will settle in the next few years once the mine becomes stable.

We're going down there for Christmas for about a week. If you want an official tour then, let me know. As far as the mine pollution, I hear it isn't going to be like Morenci and that you wont be able to see it, but I'm not sure. With Al Gore preaching his global warming and everybody being so "green", I have a hard time believing that the mine will be allowed to pollute the drinking water, especailly with all the regulations there are. Plus, I understand Safford's drinking water comes from Frye Mesa, in a totally opposite direction of the mine.

Since I graduated from Thatcher high in 1993, a lot has changed. In the 33 years my parents have lived there, many things have changed. In the next few years, it will continue to change, but from what I hear the mine will only be good for 15-20 years max and without jobs, people wont continue to move there.

Another area you should look at is Silver City NM. I have a brother going to school there. You should check out the postings about that area.

Tad
I bet you know Brian Lundell huh? ;0) I dated him in high school.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM

422 posts, read 1,272,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_R View Post
I live in Phx (West Valley). I'm 52 yrs. old and don't have an 'appreciation' for the 'fast life' as I used to . I've been planning a trip to check out Safford and the surrounding areas. Also thinking about viewing Patagonia (because of the lake). For those who really know the Safford area, I would appreciate your thoughts on whether I would enjoy the area or not. Here are my primary interests:

1. I like boating, fishing, swimming, lounging in hot springs.
2. I like taking a Kawasaki Mule or Yamaha Rhino into deep desert and spend a night or two.
3. I like (safe) short- and long-distance, isolated target shooting (handgun & rifle).
4. I like a 'small town' environment and the stereotype townspeople (spend a lot of time in Heber).
5. I like NO booming music from cars and neighbors - a bit of residential respect should not be much to ask.

I'm also curious as to the Gila river that runs next to Safford. Is it like the Salt River in Phx.? ... flows about 2 days out of the year (if that).

Anyway, that's a brief list of my interests. Does Safford sound like a place for me? Any other areas (keeping in mind I LOVE water) I should check out?

All 'practical' input will be very appreciated.

Thanks ...

Al R.
I have never been to Safford yet, so I can't really comment about this town. The Sonoita-Patagonia area on the other hand is very beautiful and so is the lake. I have 2 mine sites in opposite directions at least 20 miles away from me as the crow flies (Silverbell and Green Valley) each way. The occasional explosions shake the whole house and catch you by surprise. I can't imagine living closer. Not sure what kind of possible damage your house may receive from the blasting, cracks in foundation?etc...if you live closer. Just wondering if you're more interested in Safford because of affordability of housing in comparison to Sonoita-Patagonia area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona