Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!
Anyone know the lowdown on Oatman?
Is it MORE than just a weekend tourists place?

What about the weather, compared to Kingman or
Bullhead City.. Hotter/Colder?

I see the elevation is about 2700'. Do you know if they
get any snow/ice?

Does Oatman have anything other than tourists sale shops?

How is the road out to Oatman from Bullhead City? Is it
paved or dirt/sandy?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Well, Oatman is an interesting town for tourists, but in truth pretty junkie and rundown-looking. The road out to there - which is 153 (but also part of old Route 66) is in pretty sorry shape - narrow and potholed in places - but it is paved. I don't hink I'd want to live there, but we did enjoy visiting as the place has definite character. It's pretty tiny.

I did take a few photos of the place and they are in my Arizona Webshots album beginning on page 8 with photo PICT6503 (which shows the road - we stopped to observe some of the burros Oatman is so famous for) and continuing on to page 9 up to PICT6535.

Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots

Ken

Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Nice pictures, LordBalfor.

Being at 2700', Oatman is going to be cooler than Bullhead, but warmer than Kingman. The area is pretty, in a rugged way, and full of old mines. There's absolutely nothing there except for the tiny downtown tourist-trap. Bullhead is probably the closest town for shopping, 15 or 20 minutes away. It's mostly Rt 155 that goes from Oatman to Bullhead (although you are on 153 for a short stretch), and I don't recall it being in particularly bad shape. 66 out to Kingman on the other hand is a very rugged mountain road. It's all paved, but very twisty with potholes. I think you'd have to be pretty eccentric to want to live in Oatman.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, Oatman is an interesting town for tourists, but in truth pretty junkie and rundown-looking. The road out to there - which is 153 (but also part of old Route 66) is in pretty sorry shape - narrow and potholed in places - but it is paved. I don't hink I'd want to live there, but we did enjoy visiting as the place has definite character. It's pretty tiny.

I did take a few photos of the place and they are in my Arizona Webshots album beginning on page 8 with photo PICT6503 (which shows the road - we stopped to observe some of the burros Oatman is so famous for) and continuing on to page 9 up to PICT6535.

Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots

Ken
Great Photo's THANKS!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Great Photo's THANKS!
You're welcome.

I just realized I didn't answer your question fully (sorry).

Oatman is really (from what I saw of it) just a tourist place and all the shops I saw were geared towards visitors.

Oatman will no doubt be cooler than Bullhead City. the road climbs pretty steadily for a while when you leave the river. Shouldn't have snow (but very rarely - and even then, very very briefly) in the winter. It is a very dry area.

Ken

Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 54,351 times
I know many who live in Oatman. They like it because it is a small comunity and everyone knows everyone. It also has alot of wildlife like the wild Burrohs. It is only about a 30 minute drive down to Fort Mohave where there is good grocery stores and a hospital etc.

I live in Fort Mohave and love it. I would reccommend living in Fort Mohave over anywhere else in the area.

Mark
[mod] no posting of personal websites [/mod]

Last edited by sablebaby; 03-04-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Talking Oatman burros

It's worth a jaunt to Oatman just to see the burros! They are so friendly and such a nuisance...ha! They want food and will follow you all over if you smell of corn chips. I have a burro now that is a foal from a burro that was rescued from the Oatman area 17 years ago. My burro is now 16, she was born in my backyard. Her mama (jenny) was placed in another rescue area due to her physical condition but I saved and raised the baby, whose name is Prize. She has been a member of our family for 16 years now and her maternal roots are from Oatman.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
It's worth a jaunt to Oatman just to see the burros! They are so friendly and such a nuisance...ha! They want food and will follow you all over if you smell of corn chips. I have a burro now that is a foal from a burro that was rescued from the Oatman area 17 years ago. My burro is now 16, she was born in my backyard. Her mama (jenny) was placed in another rescue area due to her physical condition but I saved and raised the baby, whose name is Prize. She has been a member of our family for 16 years now and her maternal roots are from Oatman.

Yup the burros of Oatman are really cool. We saw the cutest baby white one when we were there. He/she (not sure which) was sooooooo funny - bounding around in utter exhillaration of the joy of simply being alive.

Way too cool.

Ken

Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Oatman is fun. I went on a perfect day a few weeks ago. The Oatman Stables allowed me to pose by their carriages.They are Very nice people. The view of the mountains is memorable. Touristy, yes. Occasional donkey aggression ? yes. Worth visiting ? I think so. I got my picture taken in the toe pincher casket. Our ancestors had a lot of practical ideas. I dressed up to go just for fun. It's different when you can step outside yourself.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
the road to bullhead is a dirt road....it's basically an extension of silver creek rd. the paved road everybody else is talking about goes from kingman to fort mohave and bypasses bullhead completely and oatman is not even really a town....tourist trap type place with a few trailers there
I am familiar with that gravel/dirt road; it starts on the Kingman side of Oatman and goes as you detailed. In fact: I believe it is also named 'Silver Creek Rd' as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona