Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,482,737 times

Advertisements

Well it must be a town if it has a post office complete with zipcode. Most people don't know that silvercreek connects thus most people stay on the pavement into Mohave Valley and turn right to Bullhead. I agree with Tourist trap but hey where else do you have a place to take people who come to visit? Between here and the Hualapai Mtn lodge where you can sit and dine and watch deer and elk chow down outside the window? Kingman area actually has a lot to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
the road to bullhead is a dirt road....it's basically an extension of silver creek rd. the paved road everybody else is talking about goes from kingman to fort mohave and bypasses bullhead completely and oatman is not even really a town....tourist trap type place with a few trailers there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 AM

8 posts, read 32,711 times
Basically Oatman is a one road town.. with shops on both sides of the road, and almost no parking during the season.. I have been there several times when I lived in Yuma.. and it is NOT a place I would choose to live. Tombstone is a real town, though with the obvious tourist stuff.. but is a town with a lot more to offer then Oatman.. and I wouldn't suggest it unless you are pretty hardy. Oatman only has about 120 population.. and I would imagine that almost all of them work in the shops or just loaf.. that is my 2 cents.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM

13,235 posts, read 21,860,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
I think people need to specify if they're old or young, becausE old people seem to be the types that appreciate the kind of "everythings okay" soft thinking approaches to these crappy towns. The reality of the situation (and about 90% of the people that live here agree with me) is that every single town in Mohave county is a drug-riddled craphole where wanted criminals come to get lost or old people come becausE it's dirt cheap.
What a total crock. You most certainly do NOT speak for 90% of the people in Mohave County. You have 7 posts here, all bitterly complaining about Mohave County. So leave if it's so bad! And here's a clue. It's not the place that makes your life so miserable, it's you.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 22,155 times
The road from Oatman to Fort Mohave is twisty but paved. There is also a fork which takes you to Golden Shores & I-40 (also paved). Route 66 from Oatman to Kingman is paved but with lots of tight switchbacks and it is also very narrow an dyou wouldn't want to drive it on any regular basis.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneL View Post
The road from Oatman to Fort Mohave is twisty but paved. There is also a fork which takes you to Golden Shores & I-40 (also paved). Route 66 from Oatman to Kingman is paved but with lots of tight switchbacks and it is also very narrow an dyou wouldn't want to drive it on any regular basis.
Yeah, Route 66 around Oatman is the worst stretch of that road I've seen. Clearly it's no longer used that much and parts of it were so overtaken along the edges (on both sides) by the desert that it seemed almost like a 1-lane road (not 1-lane each way, just 1-lane). It's pretty sad to see the Mother Road in such a state.

Ken

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,482,737 times
Plus Oatman is pretty unique in that not only can you see Burro's but occasionally also Big Horns like these I found on Monday. Note the rack on the one in background laying down pretty good size rack.
Attached Thumbnails
OATMAN... Compared..  Bullhead-Kingman-big-horns.jpg  

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM

17 posts, read 60,538 times
Oatman is a fun town to visit. We have gone on the weekends when is was so packed and they had the gun shows. I have gone during the weekdays and they had a steady flow of visitors. we have driven the mother road from kingman through Oatman hust to try it. It would have been better if we were in our hotrod. There is an old gas station that was restored and turned into a gift shop along the way. Oatman wouldn't be a bad town to live in if you were retired and found a good place to live. Or if you were on a business venture and had something of interest to the visitors. Not only do you get people from local areas visiting but as people come into Laughlin,Nv. to visit and gamble they come as well as the bikers in April from the laughlin April Run. I prefer Golden valley more myself. You should come visit Mohave county and visit our different city's and choose the best spot for you. Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Plus Oatman is pretty unique in that not only can you see Burro's but occasionally also Big Horns like these I found on Monday. Note the rack on the one in background laying down pretty good size rack.
Hey, great shot, Ram! I haven't seen big horns in Oatman, but I've seen them in the Black Mountains. We stumbled across these guys on the way out to Secret Pass (btw, ever been there?) You've seen this shot before. They were as surprised to see us as we were to see them.

Here's another one I found at the Hoover Dam one evening recently.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,872,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
There is one there looking like it is rubbing on the cactus....Great pics!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
There is one there looking like it is rubbing on the cactus....Great pics!
Wow, it really does, doesn't it? That's a cholla too. I hope he's not stuck to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona