Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Thank you for your straight answer.
We al have the right to defend our home and family against criminals, and if someone comes in my house I wil point a gun at him/her.
If the person does not back off, but keeps coming, than it is OK to use force, but you have to warn him, or her...

It was just the remark of Bummer to just get rid of al bad people. 19 is very young, kids try to act as grown ups, but they are children, and you can be the perfect parent, kids are kids, they are rebellios to say the least.
Uh; a 19 YO IS an adult. Too; if a "kid" DID bust into my home, I'd take him out too. I respect things called gates and doors; especially in the middle of the night. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
YUMA, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities in Yuma are investigating the shooting death of a 19-year-old man who may have tried to break into a home.

Yuma County Sheriff's officials say deputies responded to a home about 1:30 a.m. Monday on a report of a possible intruder inside the house.

When they arrived, they say a man was found dead inside the house with a single gunshot wound.

Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
Kudos to the homeowner! Thankfully, Arizona has the Castle Doctrine along with many other states, which basically states that your home is your castle ... and the homeowner has every right to use deadly force against an intruder regardless if the intruder is armed. There are certain limits to that, however. One big restriction is the intruder has to be inside your home. You can't shoot somebody for trespassing on your front lawn.

Quote:
Guess you guys where perfect at age 19. Dead is dead, when you don't have compassion, you are just as bad as a criminal.

I have a carry and conceal permit, and that comes with a lot of resposibility. Was the kid armed, or trying to fight?

!9 years... think about it before you write such remarks.
Excuse me??? Why the hell should anybody have compassion for a guy who breaks into houses ... and what does the guy's age have anything to do with this? A crime is a crime regardless of age, gender, race, etc. You break into somebody's home in a state with a Castle Doctrine, and you take the risk of being shot. Plain & simple. If you don't like it, move to a state where it's illegal to shoot an intruder in your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; a 19 YO IS an adult. Too; if a "kid" DID bust into my home, I'd take him out too. I respect things called gates and doors; especially in the middle of the night. Sheesh!
Bravo! That's exactly what I'd do as well. Seriously, what is a property owner supposed to say to the intruder? "Uh, hello Mr. Burglar, can you tell me how old you are? If you're over 19, I will have to blow you away ... but if you're under 19, I won't shoot you because you're just a stupid imperfect kid who doesn't know any better, and I'd be accused of not having any compassion."

I honestly can't believe the mentality of some of these bleeding hearts. They make it sound like kids/teenagers should just get away with anything because they're not perfect at that age, are too young to know right from wrong, etc. Doesn't matter to me. If an intruder broke into my home, I wouldn't hesitate to use my trusty weapon, even if the slimebag looked to be 12 or 13!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,436,955 times
It is called, love for live.
Some folks just have zero compassion.
I would like to ask you 2 the same, what if the cops are at yous door telling your son died because of a smal time burgalary.
Plus, you guys only read what you want to read, I said, if he attacks, you can defend yourself.
BTW, if your defense is, I shoot to kill, the judge won't be to easy on you....

And yes, at 19 you are stil a kid, there is so much to be learned. Al you have to do is take a hard look at yourself.....
Wonder if you folks have a fire arm???
Every LEO wil tell you not just to fire away on a criminal, there are very specific rules.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,261,862 times
Quote:
Perhaps I have love for the life of somebody behind me. Compassion for a relative or loved one in jeopardy.

Quote:
I would like to ask you 2 the same, what if the cops are at yous door telling your son died because of a smal time burgalary.
Plus, you guys only read what you want to read, I said, if he attacks, you can defend yourself.
If he attacks?! He attacked when he broke into the house. I would have no idea why somebody would break into my house. Assuming the worst is only prudent.

BTW: I was still rambunctious at 19 true. But I wasn't breaking into houses or mugging people on the street. As a teenager I was the victim of a couple of muggings. I had little compassion for the people who mugged others.

But at 19 I was an adult. Entitled to the same rights and beholden to the same responsibilities.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times
I hope they find more out about the kid who was shot because it seems it would be easy to claim a break in a shoot anyone you want by saying it was self defense. If he was actually guilty and had motive for breaking in that would be one thing but if not how do we know it was self defense? I'm glad they are doing an investigation.
There was no struggle, and it was one fatal shot. Seems odd the kid didn't run when caught breaking in. I'll be interested in what they find investigating it. I'm not going to be to quick to judge until it's over.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,429,183 times
Quote:

And yes, at 19 you are stil a kid, there is so much to be learned. Al you have to do is take a hard look at yourself.....
Wonder if you folks have a fire arm???
Every LEO wil tell you not just to fire away on a criminal, there are very specific rules.
I do respect life, especially mine and my family's. I would not just stand there and try to guess an intruder's motivation. Is he here just to steal my TV? Or to rape my beautiful daughter? Or is he on a drug-trip, and so high he doesn't know people from ducks in a shooting gallery? Look, the homeowner took apropriate precautions, such as locking doors, etc. You go past that, you give up all rights to be coddled, now its WAR!

Hey, look, the average homwowner is not a crack shot! You can't control where that bullet will land.....

A little story about my then 87-year old grandfather. We lived in Detroit, that sets the stage. GF walked to the bank to cash his social security check. On the way out, a "young man" rushed him from behind and got him in a choke hold. I guess he expected the old man to just lay down and hand it over! Instead, GF got the better of him, and managed to slam his head into a light pole. BTW, police saw the whole thing, they were left-turning right in front of the crime scene. Well, by the time they were able to manage to get there, it was all taken care of. GF bashed the crook's head one time into the pole, the attacker later died. Police praised GF for his quick thinking and action. He did have to go through some sort of arraingment proceedings, but all charges were dismissed. Good to have 4 cops as witnesses.

So, did he react "inappropriately?" Perhaps for the attacker, but appropriate for himself. How could he be expected to judge in the moment? All he knew was, he was being attacked, and was fighting for his life---which, he was entitled to! The attacker did have a couple of knifes on him, so he wasn't just playing a game! Was it sad that a young man lost his life for the few bucks GF had on him? Sad for others, those weren't my tears to cry. GF also had HIS right to live, which he stood up for then.

BTW, GF got direct deposit after that!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 05-30-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,723,447 times
A Junkie (zombie) was ATTEMPTING to crawl through the doggie door. How pathetic. Was he an American Zombie or a Mexican Zombie? Did he manage to get through the doggie door and into the house? Where was the Doggie? A lot of questions here

Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,913,469 times
defending your life or your family, absolutely. killing a kid to defend your t.v.? I mean obviously anyone breaking into homes is a p.o.s., but since when did breaking and entering constitute the death penalty? I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down. I do know I wouldn't kill someone in my home unless they were coming at me. otherwise I would hold them at gunpoint until the police arrived. Bottom line is events such as this are tragic. That kid was someone's son, brother or maybe father. people are mourning the loss of their loved one and to celebrate this is just kind of callous i.m.o. I'm not saying the homeowner was wrong, just that maybe we shouldn't be throwing a party when a kid gets killed.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
A Junkie (zombie) was ATTEMPTING to crawl through the doggie door.
The linked article said nothing about the intruder being a junkie nor anything about a doggie door.

All the necessary questions were asked and answered

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,429,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
defending your life or your family, absolutely. killing a kid to defend your t.v.? I mean obviously anyone breaking into homes is a p.o.s., but since when did breaking and entering constitute the death penalty? I wasn't there, so I don't know how it went down. I do know I wouldn't kill someone in my home unless they were coming at me. otherwise I would hold them at gunpoint until the police arrived. Bottom line is events such as this are tragic. That kid was someone's son, brother or maybe father. people are mourning the loss of their loved one and to celebrate this is just kind of callous i.m.o. I'm not saying the homeowner was wrong, just that maybe we shouldn't be throwing a party when a kid gets killed.

If you're referring to my post when you mention the TV---my point is, HTH do I know what someone's intentions are if they break in? Are they there just to steal my TV, or worse? How can a homeowner be expected to assess an intruder's motives? What are they supposed to do, counsel them? Every crook is someone's son/daughter, so am I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona